Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Excellent GMAT Score, but ridiculously lopsided. What to do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Excellent GMAT Score, but ridiculously lopsided. What to do? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 10:47
So I took the GMAT yesterday, and scored better than I ever had on any practice tests (44Q and 51V, so a 760). Mostly I'm thrilled, but I'm a little nervous about that Quant score for the programs I'm targeting (top 20, a couple top 10s). I've heard about the apocryphal 80/80 percentile cut-off for top programs, so will a 66th %ile Quant kill me if I'm 99th %ile Verbal?

By way of background, I'm from a Humanities undergrad (graduated 6 years ago). Classic "poet" profile. Since then I've demonstrated a bit of Quant chops, I got an A in a graduate-credit level stats class I took via Continuing Education at a very fancy local university last year, and was asked back to serve as a grader the semester after. So I have something to show on the quant front, but it's still pretty thin. Not sure if it can offset that Quant score in the eyes of a top 10 adcom.

The Math 44 frankly wasn't that abnormally low for me. I had a couple practice tests up in the 88th and 77th percentiles, but I also had some where I bombed out and ended up below the 50th. Needless to say, math is not my strength. The verbal, though, has never been a problem. I've consistently been scoring in the 99th percentile on all CATs since the diagnostic, so I have no doubt that I could boost my current overall score by retaking if I were to do more math studying.

I just wonder if I'm crazy to even consider retaking the test, and investing yet more time into the GMAT, rather than spending that time on the rest of my app. Opportunity costs, trade-offs etc etc.

Any advice? Not sure I have it in me to retake the GMAT....

Thx
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Excellent GMAT Score, but ridiculously lopsided. What to do? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 09:58
Expert's post
Hi JoelCairo,

With a GMAT score of 760, I would not recommend taking the test again. There are other ways to express your quantitative abilities. Here are two articles that I recommend you read:

http://www.stacyblackman.com/2011/03/23 ... applicant/

http://www.stacyblackman.com/2011/04/20 ... m-scratch/

I hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: Excellent GMAT Score, but ridiculously lopsided. What to do? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 21:24
Thanks so much for your reply Stacy. I'm thinking the best move might be to preemptively enroll in a quant-intensive Continuing Ed class this fall, so I can include it on my app, rather than being waitlisted and told to do so a few months from now. Would you recommend Calculus (which seems to be used as shorthand for "quant class" on the message-boards) or would some other mathy course work just as well ("Managerial Accounting" "Principles of Finance" etc)?

Thanks again.