Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2005, 07:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's graduation requirements have been fulfilled.
(A) Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's graduation requirements have been fulfilled.
(B) Except for needing to take one class in history and one in biology, the student has fulfilled all of his requirements for graduation.
(C) The student has fulfilled all his graduation requirements except for one class in history and one in biology.
(D) Except for one history class and one biology class, the student has fulfilled all of his graduation requirements.
(E) Aside from the history class and biology class that he needs to take, the student's graduation requirements have all been fulfilled.

HIGHLIGHT BELOW FOR OA:
OA IS (D)

Can someone explain what "except" is grammatically? And how should it be used best in this sentence? Also what is wrong with (C)? Thanks.

Last edited by qhoc0010 on 09 Jan 2005, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2005, 08:41
i don't think that the use of except is that big of a deal here, i think its just a particle used to stress exclusion. C is incorrect because it uses 'students' which is plural and then uses a singular verb - 'has'. if it was ''student's '' it would have been correct. answer D is correct because it uses correct tense and 'all of' instead of 'al'
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2005, 16:09
I am sorry. There is a typo in (C). There is no "s" after "student". That is why I don't know why (D) is better than (C).

(C) The student has fulfilled all his graduation requirements except for one class in history and one in biology.

What is wrong with (C)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2005, 20:27
thanks for editing the post. C sounds pretty good to me after you clarified that there student is singular. i am really perplexed as to what might be wrong with it.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2005, 21:31
Are you sure question is typed correctly?. what is the source of this question?

except can be used as a preposition or conjunction
except for is the right idiom.

C looks ok to me. At the same time D is not wrong either.

Praveen

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 07:46
This is from Kaplan 800. There was something to do with the meaning of the sentence, but I don't understand the explaination from the book. There is no typo at this time.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 08:16
qhoc0010 wrote:
This is from Kaplan 800. There was something to do with the meaning of the sentence, but I don't understand the explaination from the book. There is no typo at this time.

I think the key word here is "class"

for the other choice to be corrected, the first part of the sentence should read " one class in history and another in biology". If you say one x and one", then the second one is not clear what that second one is. Clear????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 08:30
I picked C.
I don't anything wrong with it on the other hand I find "Requirements for Graduation" much better than "Graduation Requirements"
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 08:45
'C' is missing the preposition 'of' it should be 'The student has fulfilled all of his graduation requirements'
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 10:45
Isn't there a modifer problem with D?

Except for one history class and one biology class, the student has fulfilled all of his graduation requirements.

'Except for one history class and one biology class' is modifying 'student', which I think is wrong

comments?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 10:54
C and D are both right but D is definitely a better choice.

one class in history and one class in biology as used in option C, could have different meaning depending on how you read it wheres in D, one biology class and one history class aren't as ambigous as one class in biology and one class in history.

...in history? in biology? those aren't the best ways to describe subject areas.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 13:35
The perfect sentence could have read The student has fulfilled all of his graduation requirements except for one history class and one biology class.

But this is not so.

I always try to rearrange the question stem in order to try out different options. OK, since it is not given as above, and following same thoughts i share with patrickpui, the closest, for me is D, though it seems a silly construct. Surely, these folks can do better!
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 20:55
Doesn't anyone else see the modifier problem that I am seeing with D?

Except for one history class and one biology class, the student has fulfilled all of his graduation requirements.

'Except for one history class and one biology class' is modifying 'student', which I think is wrong

Can somebody convince me otherwise?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 21:19
I just checked Kaplan800 and indeed don't find the explanation very convincing. I think each of C and D could be "improved".

D clearly has a modifier problem. Here, the history and biology classes are incorrectly modifying "the student". IMO, D would be better re-written as follows:

Except for one history class and one biology class, the graduation requirements were fulfilled by the student.

See the difference? The prepositional phrase before the comma now clearly modifiies the "graduation requirements"

As for C, the problem does not lie in "all of the requirements" vs "all the requirements". As a matter of fact, both can be used and through a google search, I found many universities (ie Darden) who used "fulfilled all the requirements" without the "of"; for GMAT purposes, the omission of "of" seems even more concise. C actually seems to be best although it could be less good for 2 minor reasons:
1- For aesthetic reasons and sentence flow, it seems better to start off an "except" sentence with the exception first. I'll give you two examples and you'll perhaps see after a quick glance.
ie Except for Richard, nobody understood
ie Nobody understood except for Richard
Usually, after "understood", we would except a complement to follow, not an "except" phrase.
2- Another minor reason could lie in the wordiness of saying "one class in history" which could be shortened to "one history class". We eliminated the preposition "in" to make it more concise.

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 10 Jan 2005, 21:19