Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
VP
VP
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Re: Exec Comp Restrictions Get Tougher [#permalink]
cougarblue wrote:
And what's wrong with the weaker banks that keep taxpayer funds being subject to stricter gov't restrictions? If it harms the company from a competitive standpoint maybe that's the process that we identify and put a few more of these banks out of their misery thus paring our bloated financial system down to a viable size.

What's wrong is it puts us right back in the place we were before we spent $350 billion bailing out the banks. If we want weak banks to fail, let them fail. Don't prop them up, then hamstring them so they have trouble competing.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
cougarblue wrote:
Let me first say that I'm pro free market, competition, etc. but I think you have to view these banks as effectively gov't organizations at this point until they prove otherwise by paying back taxpayer loans/funds.

Would you consider JPM and Wells Fargo government institutions? The only reason they took TARP money is that the government forced them too. They didn't want or need the money. Also, the only reason Bofa is in trouble right now is that the government essentially forced them to close on the ML deal and told them they would guarantee some of their losses if they closed the deal. So the money Bofa has received is basically payment for doing the governments work of bailing out Merrill Lynch. It's absurd to punish these companies in the same way as say, citigroup, which clearly would not be around right now if it weren't for government assistance.

Also, I agree with the unintended consequences comment. Can you imagine a private investor investing money into a Company and then demanding that the company only hire the cheapest available talent for upper management??! I mean imagine you invested $10 billion in Microsoft or Mcdonalds or Wal Mart and then you told them to essentially fire every executive that makes over a half million a year. By restricting the comp of the top 25 people the government is essentially firing them because, if these guys have any value at all, they won't stay. The only one's that will stay are the ones that are so crappy they can't go elsewhere. And the replacements for the execs that leave will be someone that's willing to work at a failing bank that has no top talent for a miniscule salary that's lower than what they made 5 years out of business school. And the government thinks this is protecting taxpayer money??!! Ha! Yes, let's ensure that only the worst of the worst are managing billions of taxpayer dollars. Smart.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
We can actually look at this lesson from a real life example.

Quote:
March 2007

Circuit City Stores Inc., the second-largest U.S. electronics retailer, will fire 3400 of its highest-paid sales people and hire replacements willing to work for less. Those who were fired can apply for the lower-paying jobs, company spokesman Bill Cimino said today. Sales may be volatile during the first half of this year as the new sales people transition in, the company said today in a statement.

...The sales people being fired weren’t given an option of taking a pay cut, spokesman Cimino said. He declined to give the pay rate for fired workers or the expected wages for new hires.

The job cuts will be “a challenge for Circuit City,” said Rick Weinhart, an analyst with BMO Capital Markets Corp. in New York. “These are all fresh faces coming in and certainly they’re less experienced, so I’m guessing it’s not going to be a one- or two-quarter challenge. There’s going to be a learning curve.” Circuit City pays about $10 to $11 an hour, on average, Weinhart estimated. Entry level pay probably is close to $8 for inexperienced workers, he said.

In January 2009, Circuit City filed for bankruptcy.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
cougarblue wrote:
And what's wrong with the weaker banks that keep taxpayer funds being subject to stricter gov't restrictions? If it harms the company from a competitive standpoint maybe that's the process that we identify and put a few more of these banks out of their misery thus paring our bloated financial system down to a viable size.

What's wrong is it puts us right back in the place we were before we spent $350 billion bailing out the banks. If we want weak banks to fail, let them fail. Don't prop them up, then hamstring them so they have trouble competing.

Exactly...they should've never done them in the first place. But we're really focusing on the wrong issues here. What's "hamstringing" the banks isn't, and will not be, their ability, or lack thereof, to overpay for terrible management. You think some guys making $500k will make worse decisions as the geniuses who made $50M per over the last several years?
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Would you consider JPM and Wells Fargo government institutions? As long as they are using taxpayer funds for capital, and haven't repaid, yes. The only reason they took TARP money is that the government forced them too. How exactly did they "force" them to? What would've happened if they refused? I guess we'll never know.

They didn't want or need the money. Also, the only reason Bofa is in trouble right now is that the government essentially forced them to close on the ML deal and told them they would guarantee some of their losses if they closed the deal. No trouble came from the great idea to purchase Countrywide? So the money Bofa has received is basically payment for doing the governments work of bailing out Merrill Lynch. It's absurd to punish these companies in the same way as say, citigroup, which clearly would not be around right now if it weren't for government assistance.

Also, I agree with the unintended consequences comment. Can you imagine a private investor investing money into a Company and then demanding that the company only hire the cheapest available talent for upper management??! I mean imagine you invested $10 billion in Microsoft or Mcdonalds or Wal Mart and then you told them to essentially fire every executive that makes over a half million a year. By restricting the comp of the top 25 people the government is essentially firing them because, if these guys have any value at all, they won't stay. The only one's that will stay are the ones that are so crappy they can't go elsewhere. And the replacements for the execs that leave will be someone that's willing to work at a failing bank that has no top talent for a miniscule salary that's lower than what they made 5 years out of business school. And the government thinks this is protecting taxpayer money??!! Ha! Yes, let's ensure that only the worst of the worst are managing billions of taxpayer dollars. Because the guys who are supposedly the "best of the best" did such a great job? Smart.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
I use to work at CC - funny thing about that story is that some of the big sales people were making 50-60k (rumors that some made 75-85K) usually more than the managers of the stores and the upper end pay they would have been offered was $12 an hour.

While I don't disagree with what was said above but CC was getting killed by BestBuy who was paying $8 an hour to its sales people and CC was over paying its sales people like crazy on low margin products. So it didn't work out for CC in the long run but from what I saw on a micro scale was the sales people who got laid off went to work for BBY for $10 an hour and went back to work for CC later because they liked the no one cares, easy going nature of CC and they took the $12 an hour.

Man those were the good ol' days.
VP
VP
Send PM
cougarblue wrote:
Jerz wrote:
cougarblue wrote:

Exactly...they should've never done them in the first place. But we're really focusing on the wrong issues here. What's "hamstringing" the banks isn't, and will not be, their ability, or lack thereof, to overpay for terrible management. You think some guys making $500k will make worse decisions as the geniuses who made $50M per over the last several years?

I'm not debating whether current management is any good. Certainly several executives deserve blame for what has happened on their watch. But I do think that top executive talent, given the option between a job where comp is capped and one where comp is not capped, will choose the unlimited comp. Therefore, the bailout banks will find it harder to attract and retain top talent.

And in terms of the govt "forcing" the banks to accept money, there have been several published accounts - especially for the BofA-ML deal - where the government made strong hints to the CEOs that should the bank not do what the government was asking, then the govt would remove the management team from the bank.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
If you want to make banks safer - if that is the ultimate goal - then pass a law that bans prop trading on the company's account. Just about every other function in an investment bank has a relatively small downside risk, whereas prop trading has a huge downside risk (as well as a huge upside). If you want to make banks more risk averse, then move all prop trading to the hedge fund industry. Let banks buy minority stakes in hedge funds if they like, but prevent them from owning anything outright. It has been proven that a small number of limited partners are better stewards of a firm's capital (their own money) than shareholder's in the public market. Then you do not need to regulate any company's executive salaries'. You can leave that up to shareholders' to decide, where I believe it belongs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Every public outrage needs a whipping boy - remember Walmart, Exxon, Banks, Executives, goes on endlessly - they have the money others don't so obviously it's their fault.

**the use of the word obviously makes all statements that come after it a fact**
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
The Becker Posner blog does a nice job of arguing why the pay caps aren't a good idea. https://www.becker-posner-blog.com/

(Becker, Posner are profs at UChicago)
VP
VP
Send PM
Toubab wrote:
Paulson, Geithner, Summers - those guys know how corporate America works, and they clearly don't think that an exodus of talent is really that much of a risk.

When Paulson was Treasury Secretary he fought against salary caps as a condition of TARP money. More recently Geithner and Summers both unsuccessfully lobbied Congress not to include a pay cap in the stimulus.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Toubab wrote:
I'm not in banking, but I also have a hard time believing the federal government "forced" any banks to take TARP funds. Rather, they bailed them out with my taxes to prevent a massive round of bank collapses that would've shaken the foundations of the whole economy, and found banks more than ready to accept them.

I'm not going to argue the issue. Just for your own information though, it's a fact that Wells Fargo was forced to take the funds against their will.

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB122402486344034247.html

Quote:
After Mr. Kovacevich voiced his concerns, Mr. Paulson described the deal starkly. He told the Wells Fargo chairman he could accept the government's money or risk going without the infusion. If the company found it needed capital later and Mr. Kovacevich couldn't raise money privately, Mr. Paulson promised the government wouldn't be so generous the second time around.
Current Student
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
Toubab wrote:
Paulson, Geithner, Summers - those guys know how corporate America works, and they clearly don't think that an exodus of talent is really that much of a risk.

When Paulson was Treasury Secretary he fought against salary caps as a condition of TARP money. More recently Geithner and Summers both unsuccessfully lobbied Congress not to include a pay cap in the stimulus.

This is true. It's been reported on Bloomberg, CNBC, WSJ, etc. Geithner and Summers were adament that the new restrictions not be included in the stimulus legislation but they failed in that effort. The Obabma administration was very upset they were included and plans to work with congress to find a way to water them down. The original salary caps put in place by the Obama administration a few weeks ago (led by Geithner and Summers) was just a smoke screen. It was to appease the masses that Wall Street was being punished but in reality it did nothing. It was only for firms that took exceptional assistance in the future, it was only for the very top executives, and it allowed for unlimited bonsues paid in restricted stock. However, these new restrictions put in place by congressmen that have never worked in business, never taken a business course, never taken economics 101 are far more stringent then Obamas original comp restrictions and are widely agreed by economists, business leaders and the Obama administration to be a terrible idea.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
Toubab wrote:
I'm not in banking, but I also have a hard time believing the federal government "forced" any banks to take TARP funds. Rather, they bailed them out with my taxes to prevent a massive round of bank collapses that would've shaken the foundations of the whole economy, and found banks more than ready to accept them.

I'm not going to argue the issue. Just for your own information though, it's a fact that Wells Fargo was forced to take the funds against their will.

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB122402486344034247.html

Quote:
After Mr. Kovacevich voiced his concerns, Mr. Paulson described the deal starkly. He told the Wells Fargo chairman he could accept the government's money or risk going without the infusion. If the company found it needed capital later and Mr. Kovacevich couldn't raise money privately, Mr. Paulson promised the government wouldn't be so generous the second time around.

That doesn't sound "forced" to me. Mr. Kovacevich could have rejected the offer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Marketing Management
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
Toubab wrote:
Re: "unintended consequences" - I have a hard time believing the incoming administration just doesn't understand how executive compensation works. Paulson, Geithner, Summers - those guys know how corporate America works, and they clearly don't think that an exodus of talent is really that much of a risk. Even at "only" half-a-million-dollar per year salaries, I think any firm will be able to attract a ton of quite capable talent.

I'm not in banking, but I also have a hard time believing the federal government "forced" any banks to take TARP funds. Rather, they bailed them out with my taxes to prevent a massive round of bank collapses that would've shaken the foundations of the whole economy, and found banks more than ready to accept them. While I clearly don't think the federal government should begin micromanaging an industry like banking, the executive compensation caps make sense as a way to prevent unscrupulous folks (of which there are obviously more than a few on Wall Street) from milking the federal cow for all it's worth before (golden) parachuting away.

Again - no sympathies here for anyone crying about a $500,000/year salary cap, or not getting a bonus this year. The sense of entitlement makes me gag.

I completely agree. If your company is on it's knees begging for a bail out: YOU HAVE FAILED. Your "executive talent" doesn't exist.
Current Student
Send PM
RoseSignet wrote:

I completely agree. If your company is on it's knees begging for a bail out: YOU HAVE FAILED. Your "executive talent" doesn't exist.

These kind of comments drive me nuts. It's become so in vouge to just say "they have no top talent, their banks are in trouble" without any kind of actual thought or analysis. It just strikes me as a meaningless off the cuff comment thrown out by the populist we hate bankers and want to blame them for all of our problems crowd. I mean give me a break. It's like saying "Why should we pay Kobe Bryant 10+ million? He shot 1-20 tonight and only scored 3 points. He has no talent". Just because Kobe had some poor performance does not mean that he has no talent. He is still one of the greatest players in the game today I don't care if he averaged 3 points a game for the last month. Similarly, just because some bankers screwed up (and so did the government, consumers, mortgage companies, etc, etc by the way) does not mean there is no talent there. I mean these guys all went to HBS, Wharton, etc (earned the degrees we dream of), landed the toughest jobs out of those schools (BB IB) and worked their way up to the top of highly competitive organizations where they were surrounded by (and competing with) some of the top people at the top schools that we all plan to attend. If these guys are talentless bums what are we?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7