Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Exec MBA or MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Exec MBA or MBA? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 22:38
Hi Paul,

I just wanted to share this question that's been on my mind for some time. I'm applying to MBA (FT - 2 years), but I considered applying to Exec MBA and might be re-considering it depending on some events to happen.

My profile
Work experience: 6.5 years.
Current responsibility level: Junior to middle management.

Regardless of my particular case, I think it would be helpful to others analyzing the same decision. What's the turning point? 8 years experience? 32+ years old? Current position? Employer funding options?

I'll appreciate your feedback.

Thanks. Best regards.
L.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2006, 00:32
Your age doesnt really matter here. The Most important thing is what you would like to do after your MBA. Why you need the MBA.

If you have a stable career and want to accelerate your leadership role within your same company then an EMBA might be better! Especially if you can get your company to sponsor your EMBA. (EMBA is usually way more expensive than a regular MBA.)

However, for career change EMBA is less preferred. A regular MBA with would be advisable.

There are several factors that you should consider before you can decide between an MBA vs an EMBA. The nature of the curriculum, cost, objectives post MBA, part-time vs full-time, how much you value the brand vs actual learning are some of the attributes to consider. Age should be the last of your concern. If you think you are ready for an MBA now then just apply for an MBA!

My $0.02 based on the limited information!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Exec MBA or MBA? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2006, 10:50
lepium wrote:
Hi Paul,

I just wanted to share this question that's been on my mind for some time. I'm applying to MBA (FT - 2 years), but I considered applying to Exec MBA and might be re-considering it depending on some events to happen.

My profile
Work experience: 6.5 years.
Current responsibility level: Junior to middle management.

Regardless of my particular case, I think it would be helpful to others analyzing the same decision. What's the turning point? 8 years experience? 32+ years old? Current position? Employer funding options?

I'll appreciate your feedback.

Thanks. Best regards.
L.

L.,

It is more a question of being at the appropriate point in your career than it is age or years of work experience. If you look at the average number of direct reports people accepted into the top E-MBA programs have, you'll see numbers from 14 to 26. Clearly, these are people with some serious management experience. In contrast, the age and work experience ranges are fairly broad: from 28-44 years old at Wharton, for example, to a "middle 80%" of 96 months to 240 months of W/E at Kellogg.

Two other issues are important: whether you are using the MBA to make a career change and whether you will have your employer's sponsorship. The E-MBA is usually an "upper management validation" degree rather than a career-switching degree. Kellogg actually requires applicants to submit a sponsorship letter from their employer specifying its financial and time support. Though other schools do not have such stringent sponsorship requirements, this shows the importance of having your employer on board for the E-MBA -- an issue that is not really important for the regular MBA. See Accepted.com's guide to executive MBAs.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Exec MBA or MBA? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2006, 18:36
pbodine wrote:
lepium wrote:
Hi Paul,

If you look at the average number of direct reports people accepted into the top E-MBA programs have, you'll see numbers from 14 to 26.

Two other issues are important: whether you are using the MBA to make a career change and whether you will have your employer's sponsorship. ,

Paul, thank you for your reply. From what you've explained, I'm not ready to go E-MBA yet as:

1) I am not yet at the type of position you mention (got only 4 direct reports at the time). I would be in 1.5 to 3 years time, though, but not now.

2) Employer sponsorship is not yet granted. I'd call it a 50/50 chance which will be decided at an upcoming committee. And even if it is offered, I'm still wondering on whether to switch employeers or not.

Thanks. Best regards.
L.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Exec MBA or MBA? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2006, 14:41
lepium wrote:
pbodine wrote:
lepium wrote:
Hi Paul,

If you look at the average number of direct reports people accepted into the top E-MBA programs have, you'll see numbers from 14 to 26.

Two other issues are important: whether you are using the MBA to make a career change and whether you will have your employer's sponsorship. ,

Paul, thank you for your reply. From what you've explained, I'm not ready to go E-MBA yet as:

1) I am not yet at the type of position you mention (got only 4 direct reports at the time). I would be in 1.5 to 3 years time, though, but not now.

2) Employer sponsorship is not yet granted. I'd call it a 50/50 chance which will be decided at an upcoming committee. And even if it is offered, I'm still wondering on whether to switch employeers or not.

Thanks. Best regards.
L.

lepium,

Yes, the regular GMAT might be more up your alley right now. Certainly you are not "too old" to apply to the regular MBA programs.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter