Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4922 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2410 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Executive MBA Guidance [#permalink]
Hi Paul & Sameer,

Does the same thing apply even for a candidate with an MBA but on a part-time basis. This time round, I was hoping to give my second MBA a full-time opportunity with a different specialization altogether inorder to pursue better career opportunities in my chosen field (i.e. Management Consulting). I have already got some experience (though at a very basic level) in my chosen field and hope to scale new heights in this field post my second MBA.
Look forward to your response to my query.

-Abhi
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
abhi758 wrote:
Hi Paul & Sameer,

Does the same thing apply even for a candidate with an MBA but on a part-time basis. This time round, I was hoping to give my second MBA a full-time opportunity with a different specialization altogether inorder to pursue better career opportunities in my chosen field (i.e. Management Consulting). I have already got some experience (though at a very basic level) in my chosen field and hope to scale new heights in this field post my second MBA.

-Abhi

Hi Abhi,

A similar reasoning will apply in your case as well.

It is perfectly reasonable for career directions and preferences to evolve over time. If you can link all the individual pieces together into a coherent story, you'd be on the right track.

Pre-empt questions that can come up and address those in your application (essays and interviews).

Let me know if you have specific queries as you go along.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Abhi:
As a general rule, it is going to be hard to gain a 2nd MBA, if you already have one - part time or otherwise. While I do understand the nuances associated with Indian applicants, the primary focus should be on what US business schools call a "duplicate degree." Some US MBA schools, as a hard and fast rule, will not award a "duplicate degree." Others take a tough stance but will consider it. Under all circumstances you are put in a position of defending your position and previous actions as opposed to a clean slate.

Again, there are exceptions to every rule and this will depend on your ability to dictate how your MBA, taken beyond face value, is different a 2nd one.

I hate sounding like an economist but "it depends" on each program. If I were a betting man, I would look towards MBA programs that are non-generalist in nature and that attach specific certificates or designations to their MBA degrees (e.g. MBA in Marketing or Finance) Another path for you is to gain a Masters (non-MBA) in a certain business related field, such as a Masters in Financial Engineering.

Another thing to consider is how employers will consider it as well. Remember, they need to be able to understand your reasons as well. I wanted to point out an MBA program put forward by the UK government - https://www.ukimmigration.com/hsmp/mba_provision.htm. There are 40 US schools and 10 UK schools on the list. So if you get past the adcom and then run into issues defending your path, the UK gov wants to extend a helping hand.

However, I digress.

I did do some primary research for you with references.
Here are some primary examples that bode well for you:

At LBS, you can apply but to my point, you really need to have a very, very convincing rational.
(https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... page_3.htm)

Wharton offers up very much the same advice as LBS. Remember, do not underestimate really laying out why you need another MBA. This should be addressed in the optional essay and woven into the themes you dictate in your other essays. (https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admissions/faqs.cfm#Q9)

GSB gets very specific about you detailing why it would not be repetitive. They even tell you where to stick it - in essay 2.
(https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/MBA/faq/)

MIT Sloan is on your side but again, wants you to lay it out for them.
(https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/faq/index.php)

At Booth, you can apply to the IMBA, if you already have an MBA. (https://www.chicagobooth.edu/parttime/ch ... sions.aspx)

Ross will admit those with an MBA but with a word of caution.
(https://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba ... plying.htm)

At Columbia, you can apply as some International MBAs are not recognized by some employers.
(www.accepted.com/chat/transcripts/2007/ ... clnk&gl=us)

IMD specifically, recognizes the nuances that come with having an MBA from India:
(https://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... 8_imd.aspx)

Here are some programs that do not accept candidates with MBAs:

Haas - note the language used, very specific definition which leaves some wiggle room.
(https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions ... 18_09.html)

Penn State
(https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us)

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. If I don't have a specific answer for a specific school, I can call around and find the answer.

Respectfully,
Paul

abhi758 wrote:
Hi Paul & Sameer,

-Abhi
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Sameer! the response was really helpful. Very encouraging to know that I can get my specific queries answered even going ahead.

Hi Paul,

A special thanks to you for the detailed research that you've done just to answer my query. Really appreciate it! I have been through the links and they are indeed insightful. Quite interesting to know what IMD thinks about the Indian candidates.

Totally agree with you when you say that I should look towards non-generalist programs, as even I intend to specialize in Strategy/Finance and avoid general mba programs. To add a few more details about myself, I did my MBA more as a distance learning program with little scope for classroom learning and from a not so well known school. This actually brings me to a query that I wanted to get answered - whether I should mention about this qualification at all? given that:
1. My application might get viewed in a negative light by the adcom and the recruiters in future, and
2. I might need to answer a barrage of questions and explain doing a second MBA over and over again in my essays.

It'll certainly help if you could let me know the Adcom perceptions for specific schools such as - INSEAD, Melbourne Business School and NUS (names in the order of preference).

Thanks again! and will await your reply.

-Abhi
Send PM
Expert Reply
Abhi:
I want to preface my comments by saying that my role as an admissions consultant is to provide you forthright information based on my experience and to provide advice when an impasse is reached. The former concerns the mechanics of the process, the latter refers to judgment calls. The final call always lies with the applicant.

The questions you post below hit on these subjects and in accordance with my tenets above I will answer appropriately. Clear as mud? :)

Q1: Should you mention that fact that you already have an MBA? The clear answer is yes. The goal of the process is to determine whether or not you are a good fit for the program. Only through full disclosure can this be accomplished. However, this brings up an interesting and hypothetical situation - if you chose not to disclose admissions committees are unlikely to discover that you have the first MBA (Again, I advise against this).

Mechanically speaking (process wise), you leave a big 2 year gap in your profile. How an applicant would choose to address this is also a matter of ethics. An applicant who chooses to not disclose would probably continue down the black hole and make up a job that would fill the gap. Again, an admissions committee would probably have a tough time discerning if this was false, if all other application components were in order. At this level of the game, even official background checks can do little (Google: Kroll).

At a high level, if everyone falsified a little bit on their applications you would be going to a program that was basically corrupt. As anyone in public policy would tell you, corruption is the downfall of any socio-economic or politcal system. It eats away at the heart of society's most sacred institutions. Now I shall put away my cross of gold.

Now onto your next questions about schools accepting those with prior MBAs:

I could not find any primary MBS information your MBA question. I would read this and then email them regarding the subject: https://www.mbs.edu/go/degree-programs/m ... n-criteria

The same situation is with NUS, I could not find any info. I even created a custom google search for it and nothing from the NUS domain. I would keep in mind that NUS and MBS have executive MBA programs and these programs would probably accept a prior MBA.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

abhi758 wrote:
Thanks Sameer! the response was really helpful. Very encouraging to know that I can get my specific queries answered even going ahead.

Hi Paul,

A special thanks to you for the detailed research that you've done just to answer my query. Really appreciate it! I have been through the links and they are indeed insightful. Quite interesting to know what IMD thinks about the Indian candidates.

Totally agree with you when you say that I should look towards non-generalist programs, as even I intend to specialize in Strategy/Finance and avoid general mba programs. To add a few more details about myself, I did my MBA more as a distance learning program with little scope for classroom learning and from a not so well known school. This actually brings me to a query that I wanted to get answered - whether I should mention about this qualification at all? given that:
1. My application might get viewed in a negative light by the adcom and the recruiters in future, and
2. I might need to answer a barrage of questions and explain doing a second MBA over and over again in my essays.

It'll certainly help if you could let me know the Adcom perceptions for specific schools such as - INSEAD, Melbourne Business School and NUS (names in the order of preference).

Thanks again! and will await your reply.

-Abhi
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks again for the advice Paul!
Send PM
Expert Reply
It was my pleasure. Please PM me if you would like to set up an hour long conference call to discuss your background further.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

abhi758 wrote:
Thanks again for the advice Paul!
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
udaymathapati wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have engineering degree + MBA (2 yrs full time) from not so good school. Planning to do one year executive MBA to boost my career growth. I currently holds 7.5 yrs of good experience with top IT company in India (my experience is not in IT). I am into project Management stream and have good intl exposure. What are the chance that I will be prefreed by admission committe for 1 yrs MBA program. Will they qustion my previous MBA degree? How my such successful cases are there till date? I am targetting ISB and IIMs PGPX programs. What are other intl options avilalable. I am preparing for GMAT and needs your guidance.

Hi,

I do not see that you are disadvantaged in any way by having an MBA and still have desire to complement it with 1 year MBA. To qualify for the same, the schools expect you to provide effective rationale for your decisions till date and also how you intend to leverage the exec MBA to achieve your career goals.

The adcom will definitely be interested in knowing about the MBA degree you hold at present and that you should have a solid reason to support your academic situation and requirement.

There are not many applicants who fall in your category but I have witnessed some cases last year where applicants with an MBA from an Indian school successfully making it to some of the good US MBA programs

ISB and IIMs are good choices. You would definitely need GMAT score of 700+ to have a positive chance. In fact, try to achieve as high as possible on GMAT to get rid of this objective parameter. GMAT is more like an exam that tests on some specific items on language and maths. I am sure you would manage quantitative section well but verbal can be a challenge if you do not know the tricks of the trade. Seek some professional help if you feel you need it. I shall be able to provide references to some good gmat instructors if you need guidance.

Outside India, the other reputed choices could be Insead, IMD, Oxford, Kellogg (this has one year program for applicants who have already done an MBA or similar coursework). Some good schools in US have speed MBA options where 22 months standard MBA is covered in 15 months provided you have already done some courses in business.
Well I shall be happy to answer questions should you have any!!

Regards,
Neha Singh
General Education
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi udaymathapati I think its not bad & while going for an year MBA your previous degree is not questioned, I have done executive MBA from Sikkim Manipal University, If you have any queries related to your MBA then you can speak to their counselor by registering for free at this website:- smude.edu.in , Hope this will help you a lot.
GMAT Club Bot