Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Executive or Full Time?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua
GMAT Date: 03-31-2014
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Executive or Full Time? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 12:45
Full time or Executive?
I am considering doing an EMBA instead of a full time MBA because my age (32) and experience (7 years) are above the average. What’s your opinion? Should I pass for the MBA and focus on an EMBA or do I still have options for being accepted at good school for the full time?

Profile:
32 years old
Married + 2 children
Citizenship: Chilean
Chilean education in top business school: Industrial Engineer (2.7) and Master in Business Engineering (3.2). I just did the standard GPA conversion but don’t know if GPA’s from Chile are evaluated by admissions committee with the same criteria as the US since the reality in Chile is that no one scores more than 3.5 (6.0 in the local grading system, 7.0 being the highest)
7 years of experience in the US working for a leader airline in Latin America & Brazil, promoted twice.
Majority partner at a family owned mining company raising more than $ 5M for mining exploration investment
Just started mentoring school students under a non profit
GMAT: Aiming at 740

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Executive or Full Time? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 23:18
Expert's post
Trikidiego wrote:
Full time or Executive?
I am considering doing an EMBA instead of a full time MBA because my age (32) and experience (7 years) are above the average. What’s your opinion? Should I pass for the MBA and focus on an EMBA or do I still have options for being accepted at good school for the full time?

Profile:
32 years old
Married + 2 children
Citizenship: Chilean
Chilean education in top business school: Industrial Engineer (2.7) and Master in Business Engineering (3.2). I just did the standard GPA conversion but don’t know if GPA’s from Chile are evaluated by admissions committee with the same criteria as the US since the reality in Chile is that no one scores more than 3.5 (6.0 in the local grading system, 7.0 being the highest)
7 years of experience in the US working for a leader airline in Latin America & Brazil, promoted twice.
Majority partner at a family owned mining company raising more than $ 5M for mining exploration investment
Just started mentoring school students under a non profit
GMAT: Aiming at 740

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Hey there good sir,
Well I think this could swing either way. What program do you PREFER? And what are your goals? And will your company be sponsoring you if you do an MBA or EMBA?

32 is on the cusp for regular US MBA programs. You can get in to most places, but you need some sort of good reasoning and a bit stronger than normal program. For EMBAs it'd be a bit easier to get in. Plus I don't know where you are looking, but European schools like INSEAD, IMD, IESE, and HEC all might be good options for you, as they are "Regular" MBA programs, but the students tend to average in at about 30.

You could also apply to a mix of EMBA and MBA programs if you find that there are a few of each that suit your needs, so you don't have to make the absolute decision of "EMBA or MBA".

Let me know if this helps,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!