Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 08:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago b.
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 92

Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack a [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 03:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

65% (01:57) correct 34% (01:11) wrong based on 70 sessions
Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

(A) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of
(B) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business
(C) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, already with business costs of
(D) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costing business
(E) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costs business

Hi everyone.
I was working the 1000 sc through and found unclear for me question. Can u help me please. What is the subject for the second sentence? (which cost business....)

I think it is a USE ...
however in B (the right answer the subject is plural, COST)

Tnank you for any help.

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do...

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 sc - 289 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 05:25
This post received
KUDOS
Ayrish wrote:
Hi everyone.
I was working the 1000 sc through and found unclear for me question. Can u help me please. What is the subject for the second sentence? (which cost business....)

289. Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

(A) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of
(B) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business
(C) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, already with business costs of
(D) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costing business
(E) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costs business

I think it is a USE ...

Tnank you for any help.

You need an adverbial modifier (significantly compounding) so cancel out choices D and E.
"which" is refering to plural subject - the effects of drug and alcohol abuse
In A: a cost to business of is weird and unidiomatic.
C again has a modifier issues.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 sc - 289 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 05:01
Ayrish wrote:
Hi everyone.

289. Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

I think it is a USE ...

Tnank you for any help.

B is correct....

Explanation:
D and E are out as you need an adverb for sure....
you need 'which' as the second clause is modify the first clause..... hence C is out..

between A and B.. cost would be preferred as a verb than a noun (currently in A)

Also as asked by you the subject of the clause is 'the effects of drug and alcohol abuse' which is plural... and hence cost is perfect....

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 sc - 289 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 02:27
B, this one should have the word businesses in it, shouldn't it?
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 sc - 289 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 09:41
+1 B

However, I think that the verb "cost" should be "costS" because it refers to abuse. "Which" refers to the noun which is next to it.
Or could it refer to a noun phrase ("the effects of drug and alcohol abuse")?

Thanks!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: 1000 sc - 289 [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2011, 22:46
which is referring effects (plural) not only abuse.
hence,Cost will be plural
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 9

Re: 1000 sc - 289 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
Would you please someone explain the reference of "which" in this question?
According to Manhattan SC book,page 91, I though "which" always refers to the noun immediately preceding it. So here "which" should refer to abuse.
Can someone tell me what I'm missing here?

Thank you:)
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1172

Kudos [?]: 3054 [5] , given: 176

Re: 1000 sc - 289 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
misan wrote:
Would you please someone explain the reference of "which" in this question?
According to Manhattan SC book,page 91, I though "which" always refers to the noun immediately preceding it. So here "which" should refer to abuse.
Can someone tell me what I'm missing here?

Thank you:)

Hi there,

The correct answer for this question is B. Let's see the senetnce with the correct answer choice now:

Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business more than $100 billion a year.

"which" is a relative pronoun that must refer to a preceding noun entity. This entity can be a single word noun entity or a noun phrase. In this case, "which" modifies the preceding noun entity "the effects of drug and alcohol abuse", a noun phrase. Since "the effects" is the head of this noun phrase, "which" stands for that plural enity and hence takes plural verb "cost".

So Noun Modifiers can refer to a slightly far away noun as we saw in this sentence. To read more on this topic, click on the following link:
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 1071 [1] , given: 118

Re: Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack a [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 22:04
This post received
KUDOS
Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of more than $100 billion a year.

(A) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business of >>> Wrong. Too wordy
(B) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business >>> Correct. Concise. "The effects" is plural + "cost" --> Correct
(C) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, already with business costs of >>> Wrong. the use of "with" is unclear.
(D) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costing business >>> Wrong. parallel structure is wrong.
(E) significant in compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, and already costs business >>> Wrong . parallel structure is wrong.

So, B is the best.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Reviews Badge
Re: Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack a [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 20:54
Hello:

Any help would be appreciated!

119. Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly
among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost
to business of
more than $100 billion a year.

(A) significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already are a cost to business
of

OA B. Narrowed to B,C,E.

My questions on the OA
What s which referring to? I know that there is "middlemen" in there "of drug and alcohol abuse"
but it shouldn't be effects of "abusing of something".
I picked up C because i was trying to avoid "the which" modifier part, but already kind of intuited that already couldn't modify the whole sentence...

Thanks in advance
Re: Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack a   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2013, 20:54