Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Exhausted by second gmat attempt

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Exhausted by second gmat attempt [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 22:25
Hi guys

Just took the gmat again for a second time and did even worse than my first attempt. (Q44, V36) for a 660.
I took it a month ago and scored a 680 (Q44,V40). Was really hoping I could break the 700 barrier so I could be more competitive for
the second round of applications for top 15 schools.
I'm really exhausted/pissed off right now and not really sure what to do. I still have to finish up the rest of my applications and now I have to do it with my 680 score. Feeling really shitty right now and I'm just hoping my chances won't be too badly affected cos I don't want to apply in the third round...not to mention the fact that spending another 1 month studying and working simultaneously really sounds unbearable right now.
Sigh.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Exhausted by second gmat attempt [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 08:19
Expert's post
For starters, a 680 is a great GMAT score. Don't be put off by not having the coveted 7-handle on your score. The truth is, even for those schools who have a posted average GMAT over 700, most applicants are not submitting scores above 700. Sure, they are trying to admit several stratospheric scores to keep their average up, but in theory for every 750 they admit, they can admit two 680 applicants and still stay above a 700 average. Your 680 is plenty good enough to get into a top school so long as the rest of your package provides a compelling and passionate case for admission. The great part about a 680 is that it is still high enough that it's not really going to but an inordinate drag on their average. I have personally witnessed even students get in with GMATs in the low 500's (even saw one woman get in a top 10 school with a 490). It's truly all about the whole package. Your best bet now is to put your focus on your applications, and make sure you get them in for Round 2 and avoid round 3 where there are precious few slots left. Make sure you get someone to take a look at your application and essays (doesn't have to be a consultant, but might be good if they have an MBA or have been through the process either with b-school or law school). Hope this helps!

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Exhausted by second gmat attempt   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2010, 08:19