Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Expand on Job title/EC/Company in Essay? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Give context if you are in a role or company that most will not be familiar. This is a delicate balance here you don't want to be repetitive from your resume but keep in mind the better people understand what you are talking about the easier it is to read.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
As someone who has read thousands of essays for MBA admissions- it is true that the reader will have access to the resume but whatever is in the essay should stand alone- you don't want to make someone flip to a resume in the middle of reading an essay to get context. So while you don't have to elaborate, make sure the essay does make sense without having to get info from the resume. Otherwise you run the risk of annoying the reader who now has to take time to flip back and forth between those two files to understand your points. People who read these essays are all about time... they have a lot of ground to cover in a short period of time so anything you can do to be respectful of that is going to be appreciated.
doctorb wrote:
In my essays, I talk about my ECs and achievements in a professional setting. Am I okay to assume that the reader will look at my resume to gather more context about what I'm talking, or should I explain each reference I make?

For example, I write, "At company X, I achieved 10% increase in revenue", do I absolutely need to expand on what company X does?

I'm asking because I've shown the essay to a few friends of mine and they've asked me to elaborate and clarify. However, they haven't been through the MBA process and did not look at my resume.
GMAT Club Bot