Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Expected Starting Salary at MSc(Finance)-LSE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expected Starting Salary at MSc(Finance)-LSE [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2008, 21:59
Hi All,

It's great to be back again. While meandering through the LSE website, I could not find useful (or relevant, so to say) statistics of postgraduate salaries. Paul and others, can you please provide an estimate of what would be a reasonable salary(base+signing+bonus) that one should expect after graduating from the new MSc(Finance) program at LSE? A comparable average, as provided by Oxford MFE is c50K.

Best !

C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Expected Starting Salary at MSc(Finance)-LSE [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 01:13
convolutedsignal wrote:
Hi All,

It's great to be back again. While meandering through the LSE website, I could not find useful (or relevant, so to say) statistics of postgraduate salaries. Paul and others, can you please provide an estimate of what would be a reasonable salary(base+signing+bonus) that one should expect after graduating from the new MSc(Finance) program at LSE? A comparable average, as provided by Oxford MFE is c50K.

Best !

C

You have realize that the MSc at LSE does not require prior experience. As such, most graduate intakes will hire you at the analyst level. As such, the average starting salary is about 27k but it could be slightly higher as this might be outdated data from 2006. I would suspect starting salaries to be in the viscinity of 33-37k as I read in a recent FT report for MSc programs in Europe but given the current job market situation, this figure could be somewhere closer to perhaps 30k. If you joined the program with prior relevant work experience, you might start at a senior analyst, associate level which would of course command a higher salary. Please see the following link:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/gradua ... es2006.htm

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

Re: Expected Starting Salary at MSc(Finance)-LSE [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 06:51
Paul, once again, thanks for that prompt reply ! .. So does that mean with 3 years experience, I should look at other options(i.e not LSE) ? I mean, say I am unable to get MiF at LBS, should I try MSc Finance at Cambridge(they want 3 years exp for their new program) or some US varsity ? What I am looking at is working in NY/LDN for c2-3 years post MS, and then targetting H/W/S (if in US) and LBS (if in LDN), before returning to India. I belive, by that time, I would atleast be in the middle management of the company I work with and would have c5-6 years exp.

Also, a) what options, then, should I consider ? (cGBP 45-50k+ sal), and b) I mailed my CV to Mr. Peter Johnson at LBS, and his reply read "I encourage you to apply to the program" .. is he selective about that message, or is that a standard reply that to most of the "eligible" applicants ? I mean, is there anything to construe from that message ?

Again, sorry for bombarding you with so many ques, but thanks .. for being so patient !!

Best Regards,

C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Expected Starting Salary at MSc(Finance)-LSE [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 11:26
I know Peter already recommended people to apply to an MBA program rather than the MiF. I hope he is impartial although it is always good for schools to improve their yields... :?

However, given that I am not clear about your experience and scores, it would be hard to judge the suitability of Peter's answers. I personally had 3.5 years experience prior to joining the MiF and I know some people with as little as 2 years only so it's a case by case basis. Less experience means you'll obviously have to compensate with a higher GMAT/GPA.

Bear in mind that the MiF will provide you with the SAME job opportunities that the MBA will. If you are looking for an alternative to an MBA, a finance focused program, then go for the MiF. Otherwise, if you are looking for a stepping stone to an H/S/W MBA which you will accomplish later on, do not apply to the MiF. I also once thought that I would have liked to do an MSc kind of program first before applying to an IVY league school but once I learned more about the MiF, I let go of that idea. Furthermore, living a year in London and paying 30k sterling for your tuition will probably discourage you from that MiF/MBA path.

While you will have to put up with a lower post graduation salary following regular MSc programs, it will be a more logical move to do that first and then an MBA. Doing a MiF, or an MBA equivalent degree, and then go back to do an MBA to graduate with a similar post MiF salary but only 3-4 years down the road is not the best option IMO.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

Re: Expected Starting Salary at MSc(Finance)-LSE [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 03:04
Hi,
I just want to enquire about the kind of students get admitted at LBS or LSE, as i want to apply there but i'm having some doubts about it.
I'm looking to apply for MS fin in LBS, LSE, OXford, Queen's college Kingston CANADA. But i'm not sure if my profile is good enough for that.
I've done my b-tech (Computer science) from an indian university, with 65% (non honours), then i have 2 years of work experience (IT) with FIDELITY Info Services, working for yorkshire, clydesdale bank and bank of america.
Will be gving the GMAT, probable score of 700/800(hopefully, look favourable).
i will be giving CFA level 1 in june 2009.
Looking at my average Academic record, Plus the applications will be sent for third round, Shall i apply to the schools i have mentioned here, or i shall look for some other schools which look favourable.
Kindly, tell as to what i should do? and to which schools i shall apply? Little bit confused for the time i'm applying for the MS fin Schools, i mean i'll be applying by january end or february. is that ok?

Thanks a ton for replying to it, and helping me out of this!!!

Regards,
Pankaj
mail:
pankaj.gndu19 AT gmail
18 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 56 [18] , given: 0

Re: Expected Starting Salary at MSc(Finance)-LSE [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 08:30
This post received
KUDOS
thats true
Intern
Intern

Re: Expected Starting Salary at MSc(Finance)-LSE [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 16:21
Hi! in response !

MBA great move if you can get into one of the top schools. A waste of time if you do one at a poor or even average place
A MBA does not teach you the technical skills, it is more about the name and building up the contacts
As for the pay it will depend your experience

Msc at LSE or Camb will give you the technical skills that banks require, MBA from LBS would be a great move, but the MFIN from LBS is no way as good as LSE or Oxbridge

My mate is on the Msc in accounting, organisations and Institutions and they are all leaving with £45 plus salaries.. Remember though it is all about what you earn later in your career that is where LSE will sort you out.
Re: Expected Starting Salary at MSc(Finance)-LSE   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2010, 16:21