Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

experience and admissions ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

experience and admissions ? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2006, 11:08
i read a post in which it was told to dogbert that Pete Johnson of Haas has said how less wor exp. affects a student snce recruiters are not interested in filling post-MBA jobs with applicants who have no post-undergrad experience. The companies that hire individuals with no experience often do so at lower salaries, too, so they do not realize the same benefits from the MBA.

I would like to know wht does accepted.com think of this statement made by Jhonson. does recruiters feel this way when they go to other schools too. wht has been accepted.com's experience when dealing with students with less than two yrs of wor exp. or with students who have worked for companies not listed in fortune 500.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: experience and admissions ? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2006, 19:59
Expert's post
k12345 wrote:
i read a post in which it was told to dogbert that Pete Johnson of Haas has said how less wor exp. affects a student snce recruiters are not interested in filling post-MBA jobs with applicants who have no post-undergrad experience. The companies that hire individuals with no experience often do so at lower salaries, too, so they do not realize the same benefits from the MBA.

I would like to know wht does accepted.com think of this statement made by Jhonson. does recruiters feel this way when they go to other schools too. wht has been accepted.com's experience when dealing with students with less than two yrs of wor exp. or with students who have worked for companies not listed in fortune 500.

k12345,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I basically agree with Pete`s comment but with some caveats. First, although the salary a younger MBA can command is probably lower on average, after several years in the workforce that salary differential disappears. Second, exceptional MBAs who are young will not be penalized for their youth if they are truly outstanding candidates, e.g., a top-of-the-class graduate from a top 10 B-school. Finally, schools like HBS and Stanford are increasingly admitting younger applicants, even some straight from undergraduate programs. This suggests there is a job market for younger MBAs, at least from the elite schools. So while younger MBAs may on average be at a slight salary disadvantage initially, the exceptional ones will not be, and in any case this salary disdavantage tends to disappear over time.

Your question about MBA graduates whose work experience was at non-Fortune 500 firms is an entirely different issue. I don`t think such graduates are at a disadvantage with recruiters if the B-school they are graduating from is a known commodity. That is, the fact that a graduate is from Wharton MBA tends to be more important to the recruiter than whether they have heard of the firm the graduate worked with before Wharton.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Top schools ? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2006, 11:52
Hi.

I speak not only for myself (41 months of work exp) but also for all the other young applicants who are aiming at pursuing an MBA and then excelling at work. although i am sure all of us want to get into the top-10 but you must also as u advice consider that not all of us get an ooportunity to join the league. hence i would like u comment on this issue of young applicants keeping in mind those young dynamic students who are admitted to not the top-10 but may be the top -50 programs...

In your experience how have they faired .

thanking you,
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Top schools ? [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2006, 03:38
Expert's post
k12345 wrote:
Hi.

I speak not only for myself (41 months of work exp) but also for all the other young applicants who are aiming at pursuing an MBA and then excelling at work. although i am sure all of us want to get into the top-10 but you must also as u advice consider that not all of us get an ooportunity to join the league. hence i would like u comment on this issue of young applicants keeping in mind those young dynamic students who are admitted to not the top-10 but may be the top -50 programs...

In your experience how have they faired .

thanking you,

k12345,

I am unable to answer in that I do not keep any systematic tab on the career trajectories of former clients after they earn their MBA. My guess is that the disadvantage younger applicants experience initially evens out over the long haul.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog