Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Experience at a top VC-backed startup

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Experience at a top VC-backed startup [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 15:55
Hello,

I am a top 5 mba school hopeful looking to jump ship over to a top vc-backed growth stage startup with a ton of momentum. They are backed by the likes of Accel, Benchmark, Sequoia, you get the idea.

Quick profile:
Graduated from a top 40 universities w/3.5+ GPA, 3 years of experience so far (1 in strategy consulting, 2 in bluechip entertainment as strategy / biz dev manager. Haven't taken the gmats yet but aiming for 700+

How do you think they'll value the experience? Since I already moved around 2 companies since graduation, will they look down upon how much i transferred? I was promoted x2 at my last company so hopefully that'll show enough vertical movement?

Is going to a top vc-backed company in the valley help strengthen my profile for a chance at a top 5 school? What if the venture goes south? Will this significantly taint my resume in terms of b-school admission?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [1] , given: 781

Re: Experience at a top VC-backed startup [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 21:19
This post received
KUDOS
First, consider asking the admission consultants for different opinions -
admission-consultants-124/

I can only help you think about some questions.
1. Short and long term goals. What are they?
2. Do your career choices display some hint of a grand plan executed well over a period of time?
3. What kind of experience will you have at the start up? biz dev? technology?

Can you tie 1,2 and 3?

So,
a) give them a background
b) discuss how part a) led to what you are doing now
c) discuss how b) will lead to your short and long term career goals [which you hopefully talked about in part a)]

As long as put in thought on why you were signing on to the start up in the first place, success or failure will not matter much. How many startups make it?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Experience at a top VC-backed startup [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 18:44
I can only help you think about some questions.
1. Short and long term goals. What are they?

short - gain as much experience as possible, take on highest risk / reward profile positions

long - create my own startup in entertainment / social media

2. Do your career choices display some hint of a grand plan executed well over a period of time?

went from high level consulting to something i was passionate about -> entertainment focused on social media, with this startup move i am hoping it'll get me one step closer to achieving my long term goal. also business school will fit into the picture by helping me mitigate my risks, i feel the education will be a long term payoff regardless of which route i decide to take (corporate vs. startup) in the long run.

3. What kind of experience will you have at the start up? biz dev? technology?

biz dev

Can you tie 1,2 and 3?

i hope so :) i personally feel like even if this startup thing falls apart, i feel like the experience alone will serve me in the long run.

So,
a) give them a background
b) discuss how part a) led to what you are doing now
c) discuss how b) will lead to your short and long term career goals [which you hopefully talked about in part a)]
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

Re: Experience at a top VC-backed startup [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 08:42
Taking on risk is a good thing for both business school applications and (in my personal opinion) life in general

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [1] , given: 781

Re: Experience at a top VC-backed startup [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
YourDreamTheater wrote:
Taking on risk is a good thing for both business school applications and (in my personal opinion) life in general

Posted from my mobile device Image

Life, in general, yes. Be cautious that business schools are perceived to be for people wanting to escape (transition, change careers etc.)

If you were working on your best idea right now, you wouldn't be going to business school. You would be hustling with all you have.
Re: Experience at a top VC-backed startup   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2010, 09:05