Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Experienced Seamen

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 118
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Experienced Seamen [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 05:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
help pls
Attachments

Experienced Seamen.JPG
Experienced Seamen.JPG [ 35.88 KiB | Viewed 638 times ]


_________________

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who
==============================================

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Posts: 220
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 17

Re: Experienced Seamen [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 08:00
I will go with D.

First reason parallel construction to wear-----to review.

I think sub-clause is required to convey that both wearing jacket and reviewing emergency drill are necessary rather than only the necessatity of wearing the jacket.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1551
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 1

Re: Experienced Seamen [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 14:25
I got stuck between B and D. Both seem perfectly fine to me. However, I don't think that "it" in "it is necessary" in option D can refer to both "to wear" and "to review" because "it" is a singular pronoun, which can not refer to a compound noun.

If I have to pick one, I will have to go for option B.

What's OA?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 118
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Re: Experienced Seamen [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 22:55
humans wrote:
I will go with D.

First reason parallel construction to wear-----to review.

I think sub-clause is required to convey that both wearing jacket and reviewing emergency drill are necessary rather than only the necessatity of wearing the jacket.


i was confused between B and D.
I have a small doubt. In option D what is the antecedent of 'it'? / what is 'it' referring to?
_________________

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who
==============================================

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 213
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: Experienced Seamen [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 23:15
I vote for 'B'.
The sentence should be- " Experienced seamen as well as novice sailors must understand the necessity to wear a life jacket at all times and to review the emergency drill on the first day of sailing".
They follow the rule of subject verb agreement and
are in the same tense.
_________________

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Posts: 220
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 17

Re: Experienced Seamen [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 00:18
mbaMission wrote:

i was confused between B and D.
I have a small doubt. In option D what is the antecedent of 'it'? / what is 'it' referring to?


Honestly I don't have an answer what is antecedent of "it". I choose D because I thought a sub-clause is required in the sentence, in my opinion the sentence convey the meaning that the necessity is only of wearing a jacket at all times and not to review the emergancy drill. That is why I choose D.

I have also seen couple of sentences in GmatPrep which are correct despite not having antecedent of "it".

What is the OA?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 118
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Re: Experienced Seamen [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 00:41
humans wrote:
mbaMission wrote:

i was confused between B and D.
I have a small doubt. In option D what is the antecedent of 'it'? / what is 'it' referring to?


Honestly I don't have an answer what is antecedent of "it". I choose D because I thought a sub-clause is required in the sentence, in my opinion the sentence convey the meaning that the necessity is only of wearing a jacket at all times and not to review the emergancy drill. That is why I choose D.

I have also seen couple of sentences in GmatPrep which are correct despite not having antecedent of "it".

What is the OA?


Yes, you are right. Not only in GMATPrep but also in MGMAT n KAP i have seen correct answers with word 'it' without any antecedent.

BTW OA: D
_________________

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who
==============================================

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 770
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Re: Experienced Seamen [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 05:33
mbaMission wrote:
help pls


this is close between A and D..

I am not sure why I am preferring A over D thought. the only reason I can think is, may be 'it' damages D??

please post OA and OE.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 295
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Experienced Seamen [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 05:49
i think understand must be followed by 'that'.

and thats why D wins over B.

btw, i thought of this only after getting the official answer.
Earlier, i went with B for being more concise and the presence of 'it' in D.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1551
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 1

Re: Experienced Seamen [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 06:06
ok guys, I think I've found out why D is better than B. I just found out that the correct idiomatic usage for "necessity" is "necessity of" and "necessity for."

As for "necessary", then it's "necessary to."

So when you look at option B, it says, "necessity to", which is wrong.

hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 118
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Re: Experienced Seamen [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 06:49
tarek99 wrote:
ok guys, I think I've found out why D is better than B. I just found out that the correct idiomatic usage for "necessity" is "necessity of" and "necessity for."

As for "necessary", then it's "necessary to."

So when you look at option B, it says, "necessity to", which is wrong.

hope that helps!


Thanks for the input tarek99.

i would appreciate if someone could explain this 'it' concept.
_________________

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who
==============================================

Re: Experienced Seamen   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2009, 06:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Anyone else experiencing wierdness? rhyme 12 26 Jan 2007, 06:47
Transnational Cooperation among corporations is experiencing u2lover 11 12 Jul 2006, 09:45
The horse, ridden by the experienced jockey with the broken u2lover 7 06 Jun 2006, 14:26
Transnational Cooperation among corporations is experiencing jlui4477 7 20 Apr 2006, 16:18
No nation in the world has experienced as significant a selene 15 09 Mar 2006, 10:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Experienced Seamen

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.