Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

EXpert please advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-30-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

EXpert please advice [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 06:40
Dear Experts ,

I am not a native speaker . I tried hard to improve my verbal score . I improved my verbal score from 12 to 25. But i could not able to improve further. Its really disappointing n frustrating situation for me ,as I am planning to give Exam on 25th Dec'12.

My scores on test are given below .
Diagnosis test (PR review ) on 21dec'11 : 450 (Q37 , V12)
MGMAT Test 1 (22.04.12) :590 (Q45 ,V26)
MGMAT Test 2 (03.06.12) :580 (Q45 ,V25)
GMAT PREP Test 1(22.07.12):480(Q45 , V16)
GROCKIT Test 1 (29.06.12):590(Q45 ,V30)
MGMAT Test 3 (25.08.12) :590 (Q45 ,V27)
GROCKIT Test 2 (22.09.12):590(Q48 ,V26)
MGMAT Test 4 (04.11.12) :530 (Q41 ,V22)
MGMAT Test 5 (11.11.12) :530 (Q43 ,V31)
MGMAT Test 6 (18.11.12) :580 (Q45 ,V25)

I don't have any idea right now to go further to improve my score .

I am basically an engineering graduate , So I don't have much problem with quanta score . I may raise it up to 47-48 .. But I could not able to do the same with verbal score.
I atleast want to score 680 /- as I have approx 7.5yrs exp.
For your info .
Till now :
I have done Princeton Review classroom course : It could not help much .It was just wastage of money for me .
Then I joined E-GMAT verbal course . I enrolled for all SC,CR and RC (Audio-video classes) : I helps me lot and build up my verbal concepts...But even after repetitive revision of concept , I could not able to raise my score more than 25 on avg ...on verbal ...
I completed OG 12( Verbal - X3 , Quanta-X1 ) ,OG 12( Verbal - X2 ) ,Princeton review gen book X1) , MGMAT SC/CR -X1

Expert Please guide me what to do next as I am desperately looking to do good in GMAT .
Thanks in advance

With Best Regards

KUMAR GAURAB
GET MAD ABOUT TEST

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 331 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: EXpert please advice [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 18:18
grbjha wrote:
Dear Experts ,

I am not a native speaker . I tried hard to improve my verbal score . I improved my verbal score from 12 to 25. But i could not able to improve further. Its really disappointing n frustrating situation for me ,as I am planning to give Exam on 25th Dec'12.

My scores on test are given below .
Diagnosis test (PR review ) on 21dec'11 : 450 (Q37 , V12)
MGMAT Test 1 (22.04.12) :590 (Q45 ,V26)
MGMAT Test 2 (03.06.12) :580 (Q45 ,V25)
GMAT PREP Test 1(22.07.12):480(Q45 , V16)
GROCKIT Test 1 (29.06.12):590(Q45 ,V30)
MGMAT Test 3 (25.08.12) :590 (Q45 ,V27)
GROCKIT Test 2 (22.09.12):590(Q48 ,V26)
MGMAT Test 4 (04.11.12) :530 (Q41 ,V22)
MGMAT Test 5 (11.11.12) :530 (Q43 ,V31)
MGMAT Test 6 (18.11.12) :580 (Q45 ,V25)

I don't have any idea right now to go further to improve my score .

I am basically an engineering graduate , So I don't have much problem with quanta score . I may raise it up to 47-48 .. But I could not able to do the same with verbal score.
I atleast want to score 680 /- as I have approx 7.5yrs exp.
For your info .
Till now :
I have done Princeton Review classroom course : It could not help much .It was just wastage of money for me .
Then I joined E-GMAT verbal course . I enrolled for all SC,CR and RC (Audio-video classes) : I helps me lot and build up my verbal concepts...But even after repetitive revision of concept , I could not able to raise my score more than 25 on avg ...on verbal ...
I completed OG 12( Verbal - X3 , Quanta-X1 ) ,OG 12( Verbal - X2 ) ,Princeton review gen book X1) , MGMAT SC/CR -X1

Expert Please guide me what to do next as I am desperately looking to do good in GMAT .
Thanks in advance

With Best Regards

You mentioned that you've completed various books. What do you mean by completion? Would you be able to solve any problem in say MGMAT SC book and explain the reasons for not picking a choice? if not, you get your answer. Knowing why incorrect ans is incorrect is as important as knowing why correct ans is correct.
Also, since you've subscribed to MGMAT tests, they would help to find you 'weak' areas; have you identified areas you need to work on the most?

Last but not the least, practice reasoning and sentence correction in everyday usage as well, it definitely helps. eg review your post. take a look at the highlighted text (some of the mistakes that one could find in first glance- not exhaustive :-D).

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 63

Re: EXpert please advice [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 22:38
This post received
KUDOS
Firstly, 12 to 25 is a great improvement. Are you trying to improve in all 3 areas or is there is a specific area you want to improve? I will provide some links for free resources see if they suit your style of studying.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gmatpill

http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

I found this video very useful for CR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsMFmnV0NBY

timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Having the right pace to answer questions is very important and don't crumble under pressure. Hope that helps!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 2.3

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: EXpert please advice [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 01:43
This post received
KUDOS
Gaurab,

Well, I too am in the same situation as you are in. I have taken the test twice and have scored pathetically low - in low 500s. I have surely understood one thing that we are not morons who cannot apply the concepts when we are required to. Don't we know the formula of are of a triangle? Don't we know the number systems? We DO KNOW! The only problem is with the strategy and attitude that we are carrying with ourselves. Also, cramming the concepts does not help in this exam. We have to change a lot!

Do identify your weak areas, the strategy that you used to solve the questions, the methodology that you used to study and attack the questions, and finally the attitude!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Consider to give me kudos if my post helped you.

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-30-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

Re: EXpert please advice [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 05:16
Thanks for ur comments
I have pointed out my few repetitive mistakes
Verbal :
SC : If I take usually 1:00 Mins per ques on average ,my accuracy will fall in between 55-60 %. If I take 1:30 Mins per question , my accuracy will be 75-80% on average.
My accuracy was 7-10 ques out of 15 ques in most of the test.
CR : If I take usually 2:00 Mins per ques on average ,my accuracy will fall in between 55-60 %. If I take 3:00 Mins per question , my accuracy will be 65-75% on average.
My accuracy was 6-9 ques out of 14 ques in most of the test.
RC : I am taking 10-min on average to solve the Medium level RC question with 50-60 % accuracy. If I find the RC with more number of alien words , My accuracy will be just 33% only . My accuracy was 3-5 ques out of 12 ques in most of the test.

Few problems : My score is poor more because of time pressure as I could not able to comprehend well within time . In verbal atleast I have to skip 2 RC passage (6Ques) , and last 6 ques (CR+SC) to complete the test within time .
Thanks

KUMAR GAURAB
GET MAD ABOUT TEST

Manager
Manager
GPA: 2.3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: EXpert please advice [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 05:36
grbjha wrote:
Thanks for ur comments
I have pointed out my few repetitive mistakes
Verbal :
SC : If I take usually 1:00 Mins per ques on average ,my accuracy will fall in between 55-60 %. If I take 1:30 Mins per question , my accuracy will be 75-80% on average.
My accuracy was 7-10 ques out of 15 ques in most of the test.
CR : If I take usually 2:00 Mins per ques on average ,my accuracy will fall in between 55-60 %. If I take 3:00 Mins per question , my accuracy will be 65-75% on average.
My accuracy was 6-9 ques out of 14 ques in most of the test.
RC : I am taking 10-min on average to solve the Medium level RC question with 50-60 % accuracy. If I find the RC with more number of alien words , My accuracy will be just 33% only . My accuracy was 3-5 ques out of 12 ques in most of the test.

Few problems : My score is poor more because of time pressure as I could not able to comprehend well within time . In verbal atleast I have to skip 2 RC passage (6Ques) , and last 6 ques (CR+SC) to complete the test within time .
Thanks

It is a known fact that if we have unlimited time, everyone can score 800 on the GMAT. But, we do have the pressure of time that we have to fight with. If you have low accuracy in the timeline that is apt for the GMAT, then this means that your concepts are not strong enough. Revise the concepts, take a diagnostic test and then you may want to join Grockit as the questions on Grockit are timed. Also, you may check out GMATPill as it teaches us not to earn a Masters in English and/or Quantitative but to get a good score on the GMAT and move on.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Consider to give me kudos if my post helped you.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 63

Re: EXpert please advice [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 21:38
This post received
KUDOS
Are you using process of elimination for RC passages. Most of us, use the POE for CR and SC but don't use it for RC if you analyze a RC passage, you will notice in most cases 3 topics are irrelevant so you can easily narrow it down to 2 answer choices. After that go back to the passage and it should be easy to eliminate.

links you could use to practice RC online. you will need to create a login ID.

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions

http://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/

Click +1 kudos if my post helped.
Re: EXpert please advice   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2012, 21:38