Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 05:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

experts and alumni... please help :)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-30-2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 167

CAT Tests
experts and alumni... please help :) [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 19:55
hello experts and Alumni!

I am 30, Indian Female, with 8 years of work experience in garments exports and sourcing for some big international brands. Though not working at present as taking care of my infant. i scored a low gmat of 600 this week :(

i am planning to apply to ISB and INSEAD to begin with, and the application deadlines are end Nov 2013. I can only apply for a one year program, kindly advise which other good schools i can apply to.

I want to excel in retail, first at high corporate positions and eventually set up my own retail stores after gaining rich experience in retail.

could you please advise your valuable suggestions with respect to the below:
1) are there any good courses and faculty in retail at these schools.
2) how are placements in retail
3) if you could kindly connect me to other alumni who are into retail or chose retail electives
4) my chances of selection (of course backed by a good essay and recommendations :)
5) any suggestions regarding essays and recommendations
6) can i expect a financial aid considering i am not working and separated from husband and have no financial source other than my savings.

many thanks for your help in advance :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, Booth, LBS
WE 1: Operations,
WE 2: IT Consulting, Hi Tech Project Management
WE 3: Baby Sitter
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: experts and alumni... please help :) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 01:03
U have a great chance at some of the tier one 1 year mba programs! Given ur unconventional and broader work exp and u being a female, u will be certainly welcomed by top b schools offering one year mba. As far as i know even Insead's france campus has a day care center. Also, being a single mom will be in your favor as u can explain how being a single mom has helped u ace multi tasking, a skill in high demand from wanna be leaders.

I read an interview of one of the ISB alumni, a lady, who has started her own garments merchandise export business. Try to reach to ISB admissions team. They may help u get in touch with some of the alumnis too. I have had a chance of working with ISB alumni and I can tell u from my experience that they r exceptionaly humble and helpful people.

Wish you all the very best!

Posted from my mobile device Image

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.

Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, Booth, LBS
WE 1: Operations,
WE 2: IT Consulting, Hi Tech Project Management
WE 3: Baby Sitter
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: experts and alumni... please help :) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 01:34
Google "THE ERA OF WOMEN ENTREPRENEURS - INDIA IS CHANGING, ARE YOU? ". You'll find an article abt ISB alumni's sucess stories in retail garments business. You can even try to contact them as their name is given in the article.

Again wishing u all the very best!

Celebrate being a woman and celebrate being a Mom! Cheers!!

If you like my post pls give it a Kudos!

Thnx.

Posted from my mobile device Image

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 2

Re: experts and alumni... please help :) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 02:55
PSMBAPS wrote:
hello experts and Alumni!

I am 30, Indian Female, with 8 years of work experience in garments exports and sourcing for some big international brands. Though not working at present as taking care of my infant. i scored a low gmat of 600 this week :(

i am planning to apply to ISB and INSEAD to begin with, and the application deadlines are end Nov 2013. I can only apply for a one year program, kindly advise which other good schools i can apply to.

I want to excel in retail, first at high corporate positions and eventually set up my own retail stores after gaining rich experience in retail.

could you please advise your valuable suggestions with respect to the below:
1) are there any good courses and faculty in retail at these schools.
2) how are placements in retail
3) if you could kindly connect me to other alumni who are into retail or chose retail electives
4) my chances of selection (of course backed by a good essay and recommendations :)
5) any suggestions regarding essays and recommendations
6) can i expect a financial aid considering i am not working and separated from husband and have no financial source other than my savings.

many thanks for your help in advance :)

You certainly do have a very different profile, one that AdComs will find really interesting! Here are my thoughts:
  • The financial aid you get will depend on your profile and GMAT score. In your case, though your profile is different, the schools you are looking at are pretty selective and their average GMAT scores are much higher than 600. So, if retaking the GMAT is an option, you should consider it. Anything above 650 will make your application competitive. Better to give it your best shot the first time than just apply early for the sake of it. Re-applications are more difficult than you think!:)
  • You have worked with international clients/vendors - but have you lived and worked abroad? INSEAD gives a lot of importance to international experience and a majority of the class typically has experience working outside their home country for substantial periods of time. This is something you may want to consider.
  • The best way to connect with alumni of any school is to write to the admissions office with a brief of your profile and goals, and ask to be put in touch with a current student or alumnus with similar profile/goals. Most B-schools would be happy to do this for you. Alternately, you could look at LinkedIn for alumni or students of your target school and send them a Connect request, clearly mentioning why you want to talk to them.
  • Regarding the application itself: Your essays must clearly communicate why an MBA at this point makes the most sense - personally and professionally - since you clearly won't be having an easy time of it. So, articulation of goals is really important. Typically, you would need 2 recommendations, of which at least one must be from someone who has supervised your work recently. The other can be from a client, business partner, vendor or colleague.

Do let me know if you have further queries. :)

Gowri N Kishore
Admissions Consultant

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Aiming for 40+ in Verbal? Attend our 2-Day Verbal Score Booster Workshop!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/advanced-verbal-workshop-bangalore

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Re: experts and alumni... please help :)   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2013, 02:55