Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Dec 2014, 04:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Experts - lets get your help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Experts - lets get your help [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 16:04
Hey Fellas,

I will be writing my GMAT again.

My first attempt on the exam was a disappointing 510. Q36 V24.
I was scoring 550-570 on the practise exams. 32-34 range for Verbal on practise exams and quant anywhere from 32-36.

I want to write the exam again in 6-7 weeks time.
My course prep included - Gmat Pill, OG and Manhattan Prep. (used them mostly for math - not english), for my initial attempt.

For my second attempt - i have started with the Manhattan SC.
I am also thinking of using Magoosh for Quant. Their sale is too good to pass on - and if it helps even a tiny bit i am willing to pay for it.
I was also thinking of using e-Gmat prep for Verbal.

Would people on this forum be kind enough and tell me if this sounds good enough - or if i should use some study material.

I am aiming for a score within 630-670 range.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
GMAT Pill GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

Re: Experts - lets get your help [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 20:56
I would be interested to know what you choose. I am looking for help on quant and Verbal. I tried some of Magoosh free trial through gmatclub. I liked the intro by their founder and also the organization of material on the site. However, they seem to have basic multiplication in free trial. I did not solve any problems so cannot comment here. Please let me know if the problems are good. I would be very inclined to buy the course if they provide good practice.

On Verbal I am look at eGMAT and GMATpill too. I am taking the free trial and like it. their concept on As and Like is amazing. But I see that people claim amazing success with gmatpill. How was your experience with gmatpill?
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 12

Re: Experts - lets get your help [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 14:44
Expert's post
You certainly don't need any more material! The key to improving on this test is not doing thousand of problems or reading every company's strategy guide. There's going to be a lot of repetition there, and the variation you encounter is more likely to throw you off than make you stronger. What's really important is understanding the relevant concepts and strategies for each type of question you're going to see. Sure, you need to do some studying to get this, but mainly you need to apply the strategies you learn to a few practice problems at a time and then review those very thoroughly.

I am constantly meeting with tutoring students who have taken multiple courses, completed 15 CAT exams, and memorized every problem in the Official Guide. If this approach worked, these folks wouldn't need my help! Work on really understanding and applying what you have. Then, if you aren't doing as well as you like, go back and determine where you're falling down. Are there particular problem types that you are weak on? Do you make a lot of careless errors? If so, maybe you need to work more systematically and get more down on paper. Are you running out of time? Maybe you need to do some timed sets and practice guessing and moving on when a problem is too challenging.

If after all that you still feel you need more resources, choose whatever will give you the most targeted practice in your remaining weak areas.

Good luck!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Experts - lets get your help   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2013, 14:44