Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q48  V30 GMAT 2: 730  Q49  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: There are 7 executives, including the CEO and CFO, that are asked to [#permalink]
The line "may not both be assigned to the team" is very ambiguous. What is the source?

To answer your question, its a combination problem. The formula used in OE is that of combination.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1111 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Re: There are 7 executives, including the CEO and CFO, that are asked to [#permalink]
total 7C5 =7!/(5!*2!) =21
now we need to subtract from Total CEO+CFO

CEO CFO ___ ____ ____
Lets assume that the 1st and 2nd places are for CEO and CFO. then we need to arrange the rest places - 7-2 (ceo+cfo) = 5 ; 5!/3!2!=10

21-10=11

C is the answ
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64910 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
naabrams wrote:
I saw this problem on a practice test and answered it correctly, but my reasoning was a bit different from the answer explanation. I am concerned that my method got me the right answer out of luck, and I don't fully understand the answer explanation given, so I was hoping the community could provide some insight...

Here is the question and answer choices:

There are 7 executives, including the CEO and CFO, that are asked to form a small team of 5 members. However, the CEO and CFO may not both be assigned to the team. Given this constraint, how many ways are there to form the team?
A 6
B 10
C 11
D 21
E 28

The explanation provided:

P(7,5) -P(5,3) = [7!/(5!*(7-5))]-[5!/(3!*2!)]

When I solved the problem, I interpreted it as a combination and not a permutation and solved as follows:

C(7,5) - C (5,2) = [(7*6*5*4*3)/(5*4*3*2*1)]-[(5*4)/(2*1)] = 11

So, is the explanation provided wrong, is my reasoning wrong (but lucky), or somewhere in between?

Find out the notation they use.
They use P(7, 5) to mean 7C5 = 7!/5!*2!
P(n, r) = nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!) (or the way you write - C(n, r). Just that nCr is more natural to me.)

By the way, in your solution, what was your thought when you wrote C(5, 2)?
5C2 = 5C3 so the answer was correct but I would write 5C3 because I would say, "Let me select both the CEO and the CFO and 3 more people out of the remaining 5 in 5C3 ways."
That is what they do in the solution when they write P(5, 3) since they are using P(n, r) in place of nCr.

Of course, you could say that out of the remaining 5 people, I reject any 2 and all others go in the team. If that is how you chose to write 5C2, then there is nothing wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V30
Send PM
Correct me if my approach is wrong.
Let's take that there are only 6 people to choose from, only the CEO is there, and the CFO is out of picture, then there are 6 ways of selection.
Again, let's take only CFO, then 6 ways.
total ways= 6+6=12.
but there is one way in which neither of them get in the team (which is also repeated in both of the situation)
so 12-1=11.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts