Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Explanation of Promotions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Explanation of Promotions [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 16:50
Sorry for all the questions lately, been working on my resumes and work history, so lots of stuff popped up! :)

Anyway, I was on the "fast track" at my company (as fast as a defense company has) when I hired in, jumping from level 2 to 3 in less than 2 years (usually it's 2-4 years, and I started at level 2 because of my MS degree). Then I was supposed to have been considered a promotion to go to level 4 after 3 years (again, usually 4-6 years after promotion to level 2), but I decided to leave my technical job (within the company) and do a lateral transfer into business development. Since my BD boss was hiring for level 3, he said that he couldn't promote me for level 4 because I'm new to the world of BD. I totally understand his logic, even though I was a bit saddened that the lack of a promotion was the sacrifice I made to work in an area I wanted to work in.

With that said, I *might* get a promotion this November or December, but with my R1 applications, that may be too late. I have two ideas, so let me know which one you think is better:

1. Talk about what I just said (with better flow and grammar of course) in my optional essays. The problem with this is I'm using optional essays to explore another important part of me, so I don't want to sacrifice something that's positive and adds to my candidacy with something that can sound "whiny".

2. My 2 recommenders are my current boss and former boss. If I can get the former boss to vouch that he was considering me for promotion a year ago, and my current boss to talk about why he couldn't promote me immediately, do you think that will work?

I think #2 is a better route, contingent on one or both my recommenders collaborating with my story. Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this.

Thanks!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 17:58
Does talk about a future promotion really make your app-package excel more?

I think you are already on a high pedestal, and the fact that you made lateral transition in the company points to your dedication and passion to what you want to do..

I do not find a need to write about your future promotions. They are not adding any value to your package.

I do not think the schools are actively looking at your promotions or promotion chances.

Leave the promotion out and put in stuff that can cover your personal aspects in the optional essay.

I do not think this to be too important.

I would not recommend telling your recommender to write that you are in lieu for promotion (which has not happened yet) - it may be a double edged sword - might raise the question, why get an MBA when you are getting promoted (I know its silly since you already spent 2 months answering that question) and also its a what if scenario- you havent been promoted yet.

So my 2 cents - leave the whole promotion business out of your package and recommendation letters. Promotions dont show your aptitude, its your essays..
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 18:00
btw i just got promoted to Senior Manager on the gmatclub

:everybodydancenow
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 19:22
congrats dabots! :)

Avi: Yeah, I'll leave it out of the optional essays... but it's just what I've been reading around, people are talking about proving that you're on the "fast track" and getting promotions all the time, and emphasizing it... made me worry. I mean, I guess I can ask my recommenders to talk about my potential for being promoted with the work I did instead of explicitly saying "promotion".

Oh yeah, did anyone mention their review ratings (you know, the yearly reviews that your boss does for you) in their essays or resume or work history at all? Things like "rated top 10% of the company 3 years in a row"...
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 20:36
kryzak wrote:
congrats dabots! :)

Avi: Yeah, I'll leave it out of the optional essays... but it's just what I've been reading around, people are talking about proving that you're on the "fast track" and getting promotions all the time, and emphasizing it... made me worry. I mean, I guess I can ask my recommenders to talk about my potential for being promoted with the work I did instead of explicitly saying "promotion".

Oh yeah, did anyone mention their review ratings (you know, the yearly reviews that your boss does for you) in their essays or resume or work history at all? Things like "rated top 10% of the company 3 years in a row"...

ouch....I aint going there.. :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 02:46
kryzak wrote:

I am not bothering with stuff like that since every recommendation has a chart or something to rate you. I will let my recommenders talk about that stuff and I will focus on other things that add more to my application.
  [#permalink] 29 Aug 2007, 02:46