Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 01:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (01:56) correct 25% (02:10) wrong based on 13 sessions
Exposure to certain chemicals commonly used in elementary schools as cleaners or pesticides causes allergic reactions in some children. Elementary school nurses in Renston report that the proportion of schoolchildren sent to them for treatment of allergic reactions to those chemicals has increased significantly over the past ten years. Therefore, either Renston’s schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to them than schoolchildren were ten years ago.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
A. The number of school nurses employed by Renston’s elementary schools has not decreased over the past ten years.
B. Children who are allergic to the chemicals are no more likely than other children to have allergies to other substances.
C. Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.
D. The chemicals are not commonly used as cleaners or pesticides in houses and apartment buildings in Renston.
E. Children attending elementary school do not make up a larger proportion of Renston’s population now than they did ten years ago.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 02:02
IMO A

Nurses say that proportion of children sent to them has increased....

Conclusion blames greater exposure and increased sensitivity for increased numbers.

Logical assumption is that the number of nurses has not decreased....bcos if there are same number of nurses then the conclusion holds true, but if the number of nurses decreases then obviously the increase in student sent to the nurses will increased not bcos of the increased rate of students but bcos of decreased proportion of nurses.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 09:13
IMO, C.

C. Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are not more likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago.

The argument depends on students being sent to them if they have an allergic reaction. If a mild reaction would not have warranted someone to be sent 10 years ago and now warrants one - independent of the actual severity of the reaction - then the argument fails.

--

I don't think it's A because they speak of the "proportion". I'm going out on a limb here but let's say 3 nurses watched 600 children and had 30 reactions (10 years ago). They would still base the total number of reactions on the student pool, not specifically how many cases they dealt with. This (I imagine) would hold true if 2 nurses are now employed and had 30 reactions over 600 children (despite the fact that they would increase their personal caseload by 50%).

I think I went way too convoluted into this. I still think it's C though.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 22:55
C for me as well.

More of a direct causation vs A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2009, 01:12
OA is C....
Intern
Intern

Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 11:29
I am still not convinced why A cannot be the answer ..... Any inputs ???
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 11:56
This post received
KUDOS
C - as if 10 years ago, not all students who have allergic reactions are sent ten years ago but they are sent now, then the argument fails.

boros2203 wrote:
I am still not convinced why A cannot be the answer ..... Any inputs ???

statement says ... Elementary school nurses .... sent to them for treatment
Here we are not talking about the per nurse basis but the total students sent to all the nurses. proportion represents the student proportion and not the number per nurse.
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 335

Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 01:42
I fell for D

One Final Try.......

Intern
Intern

Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 15:23
me to , I went with D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 00:46
ANS : C.

the proportion of students sent to nurses increased over the past ten yrs,conclusion : either the students are exposed to more chemical,or they hv become more sensitive.

proportion incresed : 10 yrs b4 1/3 was sent ,now it may 2/3 of all students sent to nurses.
no of nusrses doesnt matter.wat if 10 yrs b4,only small proportion of the "infected" kids were going to nurses,and today,most of the "infected" kids are going to nurses....in this scenario,the conclusion will fail.... increased
proportion is because more infected kids are visiting to the nurses, the so the correct ans choice will make sure that this is nt the case.
and its stated in option c.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 11:23
I dont know why but I am still confused with the OA.

The stem says that proportion of children sent NOW for treatment has increased significantly than the proportion of children sent 10 years ago. Therefore, either schoolchildren have been exposed to greater quantities of the chemicals, or they are more sensitive to chemicals than schoolchildren were ten years ago.

When the stem is saying that children sent NOW (for treatment) has increased significantly than how are we assuming that children are no more likely to be sent to school nurse NOW than they were 10 years ago.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 12:44
we are assuming this "option C" to make the conclusion to be true.
negate the option c,then the conclusion will nt hold anymore !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 23:27
C
Not A because of proportion mentioned in the text. The nurses seem to be counting numbers having allergies versus all children. Moreover, if you logically negate C, the conclusion won't hold.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 09:00
Why E cannot be the right answer?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 10:28
fruit wrote:

E and what the question states are different.

What the question states is the proportion of schoolchildren. In math, it is "number of schoolchildren sent to nurses for allergies" to "total number of schoolchildren"

whereas E is different since the proportion is "number of schoolchildren" to "total population of the school". This proportion does not have anything to do with the argument.

Therefore, E cannot be the answer.

I think C is the correct one. If C fails, it means now children are more likely to be sent to nurses (for example because the school is more sensitive to health problems of its students). Then we cannot link the rise of proportion to either of the two reasons concluded in the argument, higher quantities of chemical and children being more sensitive.

Hope I have explained clearly.
Intern
Intern

Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 12:37
hao922 wrote:
fruit wrote:

What the question states is the proportion of schoolchildren. In math, it is "number of schoolchildren sent to nurses for allergies" to "total number of schoolchildren"

whereas E is different since the proportion is "number of schoolchildren" to "total population of the school". This proportion does not have anything to do with the argument.

I think C is the correct one. If C fails, it means now children are more likely to be sent to nurses (for example because the school is more sensitive to health problems of its students). Then we cannot link the rise of proportion to either of the two reasons concluded in the argument, higher quantities of chemical and children being more sensitive.

yeah, that is right. But I cannot understand why C.
The argument says "has increased significantly over the past ten year", and C I means that kids do not visit school nurses any more, so how can be determined that the number of allergic reactions increase?
how can we bind this two facts?
Or I misunderstand the meaning of some phrases?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 14

Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 12:56
This post received
KUDOS
fruit wrote:
hao922 wrote:
fruit wrote:

yeah, that is right. But I cannot understand why C.
The argument says "has increased significantly over the past ten year", and C I means that kids do not visit school nurses any more, so how can be determined that the number of allergic reactions increase?
how can we bind this two facts?
Or I misunderstand the meaning of some phrases?

C does not mean "kids do not visit school nurses any more"
Instead, it means "Children who have allergic reactions to the chemicals are no more ( = EQUALLY )likely to be sent to a school nurse now than they were ten years ago".
Intern
Intern

Re: CR Assumption [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 12:59
thanks a lot! kudos =)
Re: CR Assumption   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2010, 12:59