Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Expressing First Choice Status

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Expressing First Choice Status [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 04:02
Hello everybody,

I know that it is fairly routine to try and make every school you apply to *seem* like it is your first choice. However, adcoms are very weary and realize this.

If there is a school that *is* your first choice by leaps and bounds, what is the best way to express this in your application or interview? Is it impossible?

Expressing your interest and intent can help seal the deal but I just can not figure out exactly how. I am going for Fall 2009 entry so I do have time to figure it out :P

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Expressing First Choice Status [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 05:23
Be careful when doing this. You may believe you're expressing to the adcom that this program is your first choice. To the adcom, that reviews thousands of apps, it could seem like you are too eager or even desperate. You don't want to seem desperate.

If you approach the adcom in your app and interview with confidence (NOT ARROGANCE!) that you are a quality applicant, you will make a positive contribution to their school, and that you know a top school is going to admit you, you will appear to be someone the adcom needs to look at closely. There is a fine line here. You can appear cocky, and few people choose to be around cocky individuals. Show the adcom you know what you want, you've taken the time for introspection. You know your strengths, weaknesses, and you know that you have the talent and work ethic to work just as hard or harder than anyone else that will be admitted. I think confidence, and a quality application are key. Your app doesn't have to be #1. I think for anyone applying to top tier, we don't care if we're the last one admitted, we just want in. ;-)

That's my 2 cents. ;)

raabenb wrote:
Hello everybody,

I know that it is fairly routine to try and make every school you apply to *seem* like it is your first choice. However, adcoms are very weary and realize this.

If there is a school that *is* your first choice by leaps and bounds, what is the best way to express this in your application or interview? Is it impossible?

Expressing your interest and intent can help seal the deal but I just can not figure out exactly how. I am going for Fall 2009 entry so I do have time to figure it out :P

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Expressing First Choice Status [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 06:16
actions speak louder than words. for any school below H/S (they are almost always applicant's top choices) visit the school, go to all events in your area, talk to as many students/alumni as possible and express what you've learned in your essays on why the school is a good fit for you.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Expressing First Choice Status [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 14:41
the easiest way to express that a school is your first preference is knowledge. If you research the school, professors, curriculum etc. talk with lots of current students and express this information related to your goals in the why XXX school essay, then it shows a clear demonstration of love for the school. There`s no need to explicitly state this because it`s wasted words.
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Expressing First Choice Status [#permalink] New post 20 May 2008, 16:53
Thanks for the quick responses! Your suggestions beat what I had planned. (Show up to the interview naked, painted in the school colors)

"George is getting upset!"

Re: Expressing First Choice Status   [#permalink] 20 May 2008, 16:53