Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

extension courses

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
extension courses [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 13:57
hi folks,
I'm looking into taking online extension courses from UCLA to make up for bad econ/calc grades in college. I was wondering: if I'm planning on applying for admission this fall, do I need to have taken the course prior to submitting my application? Or is it sufficient to say in the "extra information essay" that I plan on taking that course prior to matriculation? :|
this may have been asked before but I can't find the post!
thanks,
ac.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Posts: 149
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 16:03
ac8706 wrote:
hi folks,
I'm looking into taking online extension courses from UCLA to make up for bad econ/calc grades in college. I was wondering: if I'm planning on applying for admission this fall, do I need to have taken the course prior to submitting my application? Or is it sufficient to say in the "extra information essay" that I plan on taking that course prior to matriculation? :|
this may have been asked before but I can't find the post!
thanks,
ac.


I'd suggest taking it prior, to show the AdComs that you thought of this before the application process. I'm sure they'd still look at your alternate transcript, but being able to say "I am so motivated and interested in your MBA program that I enrolled in and aced Such and Such Course from UCLA Extension!"

I recently signed up for Math for Managers at UCLA Extension Online to do just that, and combat a poor mark in Quant and Stats at WFU. I went so far as to sign up at 5AM the day enrollment began, to prevent any possible way of me missing this course! It ends in September (short, just about two months), so I can send that transcript with my undergrad and say "I know my marks weren't up to my standards in these classes, so I took this class at UCLA to show that I can handle the rigorous program at University of Awesome.
_________________

http://omnemba.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 86
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 18:46
I would recommend taking the courses prior to applying. What you seem to be describing is building an alternative transcript in order to compensate for low undergrad grades. AdComs look very favorably upon this. After all, if you can prove that you can handle the academic rigor of UCLA extension courses, it will mitigate most concerns they might have about your ability to perform in quant-heavy MBA courses. Without any marks from your extension courses, however, the MBA programs that you are applying to will have no evidence that you have actually improved in those areas. While it would still carry some weight in terms of showing initiative, your application would be much better served to have completed the courses - and, of course, to have done well in them!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 18:58
I agree with everyone else here. While your GMAT is probably sufficient to dispel any concerns, it is always better to show your focus and determination by acing the extension courses. A bunch of A's on these classes will wipe away all doubts, from you mind as well as the ad-coms minds. Good luck!

P.S : I responded to your PM. Hope it helps.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 20:55
Thanks very much for your input here!! I really appreciate the verification that I'm not nuts for thinking this will help the application :)

One other question to put out there: what's the time commitment like on these courses? While I am prepared to spend as much as needed to do well on these, I want to make sure I leave adequate time for other things...like the apps themselves!

Thanks again for your help,
ac.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 86
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 21:11
ac8706 wrote:
Thanks very much for your input here!! I really appreciate the verification that I'm not nuts for thinking this will help the application :)

One other question to put out there: what's the time commitment like on these courses? While I am prepared to spend as much as needed to do well on these, I want to make sure I leave adequate time for other things...like the apps themselves!

Thanks again for your help,
ac.


I'm sure someone here who has taken courses through UCLA can give you a more relevant answer, but my online extension accounting course through BYU had 15 sections, each of which takes around 6-7 hours plus 3 midterms that have to be taken at an approved test center. I'd estimate the total course time to be around 110 hours. Since these are replacements for undergrad courses, the material should be equivalent to what you saw in a one semester course.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 21:18
thanks! I think I also read somewhere that some schools require the exam to be done in person at the school? for berkeley, I live in the midwest so I'm not sure if that's feasible....

anyone else run into this?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 06:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
You can take the exam out of state at a test center. I live in Chicago and I have the option to take it in the city and at a couple community colleges outside of the city. There's usually a small fee ($25 per test or $10 per hour) at these sites.

http://www-cmil.unex.berkeley.edu/resou ... m_req.html

If you scroll down to "Students outside of California" you can find a link to search for proctored exam sites in your state.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 06:47
oh sweet!! That will work really well! Then I'll just have to drive to Milwaukee (1.5 hours away) instead of flying - so definitely more doable!

thanks much!
ac.
PS am way too excited about this! :)
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 12:37
Omne wrote:
I'd suggest taking it prior, to show the AdComs that you thought of this before the application process. I'm sure they'd still look at your alternate transcript, but being able to say "I am so motivated and interested in your MBA program that I enrolled in and aced Such and Such Course from UCLA Extension!"

I recently signed up for Math for Managers at UCLA Extension Online to do just that, and combat a poor mark in Quant and Stats at WFU. I went so far as to sign up at 5AM the day enrollment began, to prevent any possible way of me missing this course! It ends in September (short, just about two months), so I can send that transcript with my undergrad and say "I know my marks weren't up to my standards in these classes, so I took this class at UCLA to show that I can handle the rigorous program at University of Awesome.


Way to be thinking ahead on this one. I really like your idea!! :good
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Posts: 149
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 13:29
ryguy904 wrote:

Way to be thinking ahead on this one. I really like your idea!! :good


Hey, I'm here to help everyone out! I suggest the course though; the AdCom at USC-Marshall specifically mentioned that course by name, and I had heard from other sources that it's looked upon very favorably
_________________

http://omnemba.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
Joined: 13 Oct 2007
Posts: 88
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 09:44
If at all possible, take UCLA Extension on-site classes. I've taken the finance and accounting online classes and they are pretty much a joke. While they gave me some decent preparation, it is nearly impossible not to get an 'A' (with zero background I had over a 99% in both classes based on about two hours of work a week). While that might sound good, I am pretty sure ADCOMs have a good understanding of the courses' rigor (or lack thereof).
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 608
Location: The High Seas
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 07 May 2008, 10:24
Omne wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

Way to be thinking ahead on this one. I really like your idea!! :good


Hey, I'm here to help everyone out! I suggest the course though; the AdCom at USC-Marshall specifically mentioned that course by name, and I had heard from other sources that it's looked upon very favorably


You're saying that the USC-Marshall adcom recommended the course "Math for Managers" specifically through UCLA extension?

Just want to clarify.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Posts: 149
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 08 May 2008, 15:58
VictoryMBA wrote:
Omne wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

Way to be thinking ahead on this one. I really like your idea!! :good


Hey, I'm here to help everyone out! I suggest the course though; the AdCom at USC-Marshall specifically mentioned that course by name, and I had heard from other sources that it's looked upon very favorably


You're saying that the USC-Marshall adcom recommended the course "Math for Managers" specifically through UCLA extension?

Just want to clarify.


That's what I'm saying. Straight from Veronica Ho.
_________________

http://omnemba.blogspot.com

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 05:30
livehard wrote:
If at all possible, take UCLA Extension on-site classes. I've taken the finance and accounting online classes and they are pretty much a joke. While they gave me some decent preparation, it is nearly impossible not to get an 'A' (with zero background I had over a 99% in both classes based on about two hours of work a week). While that might sound good, I am pretty sure ADCOMs have a good understanding of the courses' rigor (or lack thereof).


Same for Berkeley extension, Basic Corp finance was a joke.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 608
Location: The High Seas
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 11:21
Will it say whether or not you took the course online on your transcript?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 21 Sep 2009
Posts: 163
Schools: Ross '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 19:35
thought i'd give this old thread a bump instead of starting a new one.

anyone who can comment on the current thought about online extension courses (UCLA or Berkeley Extension)?

I was thinking of taking a calculus course - is that too much or should i focus on a finance/accounting/stat class? which do you think is more relevant?

Thanks
_________________

My profile

Current Student
Joined: 14 Jan 2010
Posts: 122
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 17

Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 09:18
Hi, I posted my thoughts about extension school in this thread. Hope that helps!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Status: Enjoying Class
Joined: 06 Dec 2009
Posts: 234
Schools: Booth
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 13:27
Are there any success stories of these classes making a difference in lieu of a weaker quant score on the GMAT?
_________________

If you find this post useful, please give me a kudos. Thanks!

[JB's Guide to Dressing for Interviews]

[Did you use a Admissions Consultant? Provide some feedback here!]

Intern
Intern
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: extension courses [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 06:16
Hi isa,

I wanted to share another pre-MBA resource that could complement taking formal, online courses to boost your GPA.

In addition to boosting their GPAs, many MBA candidates also look to boost their leadership resumes. That is why such individuals consider our professional group, USA Leadership Corps

USALC partners with pre-MBAs who are looking to enhance their leadership, consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement backgrounds by facilitating part-time volunteer nonprofit & small business strategy consulting projects.

Our website: www.usaLeadershipCorps.org

Therefore, as you earn an A+ in 'Math for Managers' via a great online course, you could be adding an A+ experience to your resume via our group.

Thank you & good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps
Re: extension courses   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2010, 06:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts Pre-requisites at UC Berkeley online extension courses Angel652001 4 05 May 2008, 20:59
New posts 2 telephone extensions tejal777 3 08 Jun 2009, 05:13
New posts UCLA Extension Accounting Course Question soren316 0 23 Jun 2012, 10:55
New posts Harvard extension courses gonna help in my mba application ? Rockstaaa 4 20 Sep 2013, 13:36
New posts Best UCLA Extension Courses trinko 2 06 Mar 2014, 15:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

extension courses

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.