Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Extent of Impact Of interview on admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

What is the Extent of Impact Of interview on admissions

  • 16% [5]
  • 26% [8]
  • 26% [8]
  • 16% [5]
  • 10% [3]
  • 3% [1]
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 665
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Extent of Impact Of interview on admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 07:05
What is the Extent of Impact Of interview on admissions
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 07:44
I think for schools that are invite only, you could say that by the time you are invited to interview they are very important. If you interview poorly you may not be automatically dinged, but it seems that most schools accept around half the people they interview, so I guess that means that your interview skills have to be 50th percentile in the pool of other qualified candidates.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 665
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 07:58
I am a bit worried becus emy kellogg interview was okayish
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 18:55
johnnyx9 wrote:
I think for schools that are invite only, you could say that by the time you are invited to interview they are very important. If you interview poorly you may not be automatically dinged, but it seems that most schools accept around half the people they interview, so I guess that means that your interview skills have to be 50th percentile in the pool of other qualified candidates.


Bullseye. If XYZ offers you an interview invite after an initial screening of your complete application, then you probably have about a 50/50 shot at admissions.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 727
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 19:01
Not to pick on you venky, but it is a stupid question... If your interview was amazing it could be everything, if your interview sucked it could be everything.. If your interview was average it could be a minor %.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 20:31
I would go with between 10-25%.

A good interview can strengthen your application and a bad interview (IMHO) would surely doom your application.

Interviews are not make or break but the ADCOM does assume (again IMHO) that you would be good at least in some data points.

I had 4 interviews, 2 admits and 2 dings.
In both the 2 admits, I connected with the interviewer, whereas the two dings were like any other job interview. No real smile or jokes flying around.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 21:39
I think interviews don't impact anything. (assuming the candidate can speak English) It's more to see the candidate face to face and see if they look presentable and can speak English.

Let's say you had a 2.7 GPA and a 690 GMAT and you got interviewed for a top 10 school. If the interview was important and you performed exceptional in the interview that should mean you get admitted. That's not what happens.

They'll review everyone else after the interview and your low stats come into play again.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 665
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 01:33
Mark4124 wrote:
Not to pick on you venky, but it is a stupid question... If your interview was amazing it could be everything, if your interview sucked it could be everything.. If your interview was average it could be a minor %.

No I have read many posts that say that there are say weighted points for interview aand rest of app but I wanted to know if this is just public info and in the inside something else is on
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 665
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 01:36
gmatclb wrote:
I think interviews don't impact anything. (assuming the candidate can speak English) It's more to see the candidate face to face and see if they look presentable and can speak English.

Let's say you had a 2.7 GPA and a 690 GMAT and you got interviewed for a top 10 school. If the interview was important and you performed exceptional in the interview that should mean you get admitted. That's not what happens.

They'll review everyone else after the interview and your low stats come into play again.


This was my opinion Interview is like gmaT it cannot assure u in but certainly it can keep u out
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 02:59
Well, I guess it depends on the school. Kellogg interview is very superficial. I think it is just a binary checkpoint (yes of no). For HBS and MIT, at the other end of spectrum, the interview is lot more drilling. They not only validate your past experience and probe the level of involvement/leadership role, but they also look at other atributes such as - your knowledge of current happenings around etc. For HBS intv, someone was asked abt what he/she felt abt the advent of globalization and the rise of China!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 03:14
sm176811 wrote:
Well, I guess it depends on the school. Kellogg interview is very superficial. I think it is just a binary checkpoint (yes of no). For HBS and MIT, at the other end of spectrum, the interview is lot more drilling. They not only validate your past experience and probe the level of involvement/leadership role, but they also look at other atributes such as - your knowledge of current happenings around etc. For HBS intv, someone was asked abt what he/she felt abt the advent of globalization and the rise of China!


Hmm, maybe I should have applied to HBS. That last sentence is central to my MBA goals.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1579 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 04:11
Interviews are "rarely make or break decisions" - Rose Martinelli

In other words - unless you are a total dickhead moron or an amazing rocket scientist with good looks - an interview is nothing more than a data point.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 05:21
What if you're a dickhead moron AND you have good looks? I imagine that would probably be a wash.
  [#permalink] 09 Feb 2007, 05:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Impact of GMAT on getting a job interview gdediegoi 12 25 Mar 2014, 15:17
Impact of Post-MBA Career Plans on Admission sjmcteer 0 17 Jun 2013, 10:22
Experts publish their posts in the topic Impact of Post-MBA Career Plans on Admission sjmcteer 1 17 Jun 2013, 10:21
Experts publish their posts in the topic Impact of Post-MBA Career Plans on Admission sjmcteer 1 17 Jun 2013, 10:20
Frequesnt job changes-Impact on admission in B-school scjp2003 1 05 Jan 2005, 20:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Extent of Impact Of interview on admissions

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.