Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 08:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Extra-curricular question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
WE 1: semiconductors
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Extra-curricular question [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 18:36
Why do people -really- volunteer?

I have not done much volunteer work in US, but am planning to obtain membership of a non-profit and do non-profit volunteer work there. Is that the right approach to do extra-curricular work/volunteer work in USA?

I went to a meeting at a local non-profit that is a good fit with my profession with professionals contributing their expertise for various causes. I was wondering if I should be asking for a formal official position within the organization directly from the local org's president or do I only have to start as a volunteer? I am afraid that I'd end up spending huge amounts of time on this with no formal credential gained or even anything meaningful gained due to not knowing how it works.

What do experienced people here think...
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Extra-curricular question [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 21:28
Expert's post
Why do people really volunteer? A good question, and everybody has their own reasons, but for the most part I've found that most dedicated volunteers do so because they enjoy it. It's very simple it gives them fulfillment, maybe they get some respect and honor too. But it helps a lot if you like it.

As for your approach it's certainly a good start. It's probably a good idea though to volunteer in an an area that you are passionate about - be it literacy, environmental, pro bono legal work, etc. etc.

And as far as doing so for your MBA, there are basically two types of volunteer positions 1. regular volunteer 2. leader of volunteers. If you can, work your way up to number two :) (Which will be easier if you choose something you really like)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
WE 1: semiconductors
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Extra-curricular question [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 00:06
thanks for your reply.

If a non-profit has a official titled leadership role but not enough volunteers, then they should be happy to assigned the role to a newcomer volunteer who shows interest, right? I do not see why a non-profit should have any problem with getting extra help at a cost of the newcomer a title.

Regarding such an approach, should one talk with the topmost person at the non-profit directly, or is it something that may be considered too forward in US? The non-profit is a good match for my profession and I 'd be happy to be doing it for nothing in return. However, I'd be super happy if my help could get official recognition.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Extra-curricular question [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 10:08
Expert's post
Well, everything depends on where you go and what you want to do.
If you wanted to speak to the Director of Greenpeace or the Red Cross you might have a wee bit of trouble getting a meeting :)

But if it's a small non-profit I'm sure they would be very happy. And often in volunteer work, your only limitation is how much time and effort you are willing to dedicate yourself to it. So if you have a small non-profit and your goal is to transform it into a big one, and you believe in it, go for it! This is your chance not only to gain experience, but to do some good.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Extra-curricular question   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2011, 10:08