Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Extracurricular activities

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Extracurricular activities [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2008, 17:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi ! All

I am planning to apply for fall 2009 and one of my concern for application is extracurricular activities. What kind of extracurricular ,schools are looking for. As i have some time, I want to improve in this area. volunteer work in communities is any help to address this concern.?

Thanks !
Neeraj Kaushal
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Extracurricular activities [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2008, 17:11
Schools do like ECs, supposedly some much more so than others. But you can get into schools without any if you present yourself well. Honestly, I think if you suddenly start doing stuff 5 months before you apply its going to look phony and like you are doing it only for your application not because you care. Its a little late to be starting any new ECs...not to tell you its not a good thing to do but you cant really write an essay about your long time devotion to a certain cause if you just started volunteering for it. If you already do stuff then use that or do more with it.

Dont limit your ECs to just thinking charity/volunteer work. Schools want to see you are a human being not a working machine...obviously dont write about your love of the Grand Theft Auto IV or something like that. If there is something you really love to do in your spare time use that. I think most people can come up with something...

I know I had no organized volunteer work but lots of personal activities, and still managed to get admitted to Kellogg, which has a reputation of being a school that really likes applicants to have lots of involvement. Its all in what you do with your time outside of work and how you present it.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Extracurricular activities [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2008, 17:16
What river said. Definitely spend an essay talking about something you do OUTSIDE of work or professional societies. Is it a softball team you play on? Is it a model airplane hobby you have? Is it some book club that you organize? The key is not only to show you are human, but also show that you are passionate about that activity and maybe demonstrate leadership within that group (by being the point contact, organizer, etc...)

Don't start any new major EC's now, as it'll be super plain to the adcom that you're just doing it for the MBA apps.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Extracurricular activities [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2008, 17:42
my major EC was a I worked on a local (alderman) political campaign, I helped phone bank and track data.

in both of my interviews this was brought up, they both seemed very interested in it, so I guess there is something to be said about a EC that is unique.

but I think you NEED to pick something you have a passion in
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Extracurricular activities [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2008, 19:37
Hi ! All,

I understand that anything started now wont have much effect. I am always interested in some environment work and I have done some tree planting in the past. Can I emphasise on that and do a bit more of this now. Would it skill look phony and will it work as EC.

Thanks !
Neeraj Kaushal
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Extracurricular activities [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2008, 19:47
Rather than mentioning the EC as a 'resume point' in your essays, you'll have a lot more impact if you can actually 'talk' about it. And the only way you can 'talk' about it without sounding phony is if you are really passionate about it. If hugging trees and planting them is what makes you tick, by all means mention it. Just make sure you explain why and how it matters to you.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Extracurricular activities   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2008, 19:47