Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Extracurricular activity/CommunityServices Recommendation.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Extracurricular activity/CommunityServices Recommendation. [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 19:12
Hello fellow Applicants,
I need advice on Extracurricualr Activities/Community Services that would have direct impact on my rather simple profile.

As of now my profile is very plain
a. 8 years of high tech industry experience.
b. Good UG school with 3.2 GPA.
c. Few extra curricular activities like organizing alumni events, teaching poor local children, involved in local cultural events, teaching yoga/meditation to local community, launching chess/poker meetups.
d. Leadership/Enterpreneurship : Nill.
e. Job Promotions : Timely, nothing extravagant.

Thinking of applying in next 1-2 years.Keeping that in mind , I would like to be involved in right kind of activity that would make my profile distinguished from what it is now.

As of now ,I am planning to do this in next few months.
a. Launching a online website for facilitating Marriages.
b. Going to Africa for a Volunteering Opportunity .
c. Organize charity events in Local Library.

Does it make sense to be involved in these activities just few years before starting MBA ?
Is there any other better way of improving profile in next few years?

Needs advice from people who have gone through similar phase and get admitted eventually.

Thanks,
Delhi_walla.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 46

Re: Extracurricular activity/CommunityServices Recommendation. [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 20:46
uglyant wrote:
Hello fellow Applicants,
I need advice on Extracurricualr Activities/Community Services that would have direct impact on my rather simple profile.

As of now my profile is very plain
a. 8 years of high tech industry experience.
b. Good UG school with 3.2 GPA.
c. Few extra curricular activities like organizing alumni events, teaching poor local children, involved in local cultural events, teaching yoga/meditation to local community, launching chess/poker meetups.
d. Leadership/Enterpreneurship : Nill.
e. Job Promotions : Timely, nothing extravagant.

Thinking of applying in next 1-2 years.Keeping that in mind , I would like to be involved in right kind of activity that would make my profile distinguished from what it is now.

As of now ,I am planning to do this in next few months.
a. Launching a online website for facilitating Marriages.
b. Going to Africa for a Volunteering Opportunity .
c. Organize charity events in Local Library.

Does it make sense to be involved in these activities just few years before starting MBA ?
Is there any other better way of improving profile in next few years?

Needs advice from people who have gone through similar phase and get admitted eventually.

Thanks,
Delhi_walla.

Hi

My opinion is any kind of act that adds value to the society is wonderful , every social leadership starts with a selfish motive which is the universal truth.......

when it comes to MBA, if you read the admission blog of the adcom director of ISB, india he regretfully mentioned that students are trying to fake or involving in social service or charity few months before the application just for the sake of the application which is disheartening.....it questions your integrity and shows up oppurtunistic attitude......a charity or social service add value to your apps but not a necessity in any mba applicant profile and moreover definetely not a ticket into the college......most of the admit profile doesnt have any such charity or social service but as part of EC may have a strong hobby with some achievement in that area etc....my advice is only do it if you have passion and bring that passion out in your application if you want to bank on.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Extracurricular activity/CommunityServices Recommendation. [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 20:06
ISBtarget wrote:
My opinion is any kind of act that adds value to the society is wonderful , every social leadership starts with a selfish motive which is the universal truth.......

when it comes to MBA, if you read the admission blog of the adcom director of ISB, india he regretfully mentioned that students are trying to fake or involving in social service or charity few months before the application just for the sake of the application which is disheartening.....it questions your integrity and shows up oppurtunistic attitude......a charity or social service add value to your apps but not a necessity in any mba applicant profile and moreover definetely not a ticket into the college......most of the admit profile doesnt have any such charity or social service but as part of EC may have a strong hobby with some achievement in that area etc....my advice is only do it if you have passion and bring that passion out in your application if you want to bank on.

To sort of pile on... one recurring topic between me and my mentor as I try to decide on next career move (if b-school is not an option) is "do something you are passionate about" ... and I have figured out that I tend to have exponentially higher output when I truly care about something, which translates into success and leadership.

As far as late pile-on's... I had a similar dilemma. On Labor Day weekend I joined a professional organization (which is very new, pretty small, and somewhat exclusive) and I've had an impact working in that organization on top of my regular work. I quite literally tripped over it while working on my linked-in profile and it's been fantastic. I have put it on my resume and mentioned it in two applications, but I didn't talk at length anywhere for fear it might look like I just "joined to have something extra". It's been a great source of potential career leads as well.

Anyhow, my recommendation: My mom has a great quote about success; "80% of success is endurance" ... it is *not* hard to come up with a good idea, but it takes a lot of long hours to make said idea a reality. Pick something you're really passionate about, and make it a reality - but do it because you care, not because it fills out your app. If you interview and get asked about it, I'd bet folks will be able to tell the difference!
Re: Extracurricular activity/CommunityServices Recommendation.   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2009, 20:06