Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Re: extremely low gpa, and already in the end of 3rd year now [#permalink]
I find it strange that you are more worried about what people will think of your GPA in four years time than the fact that it is low right now.

I don't think the Asians (or anyone) only from notable schools thing is true. Academia is only one component of getting into a School. With a bad GPA you simply have to be pretty stellar at the others.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
1. up your gpa for the final yr.
2. get some solid work experience under your belt - quick promotions, mgmt responsibilities, etc.
3. ace the gmat.

then you'll have a shot at the good programs.

also, it doesn't seem like you need to get into the ultra elite programs for your goals...so it doesn't hurt to get into a good but not great program.

here's my background: my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Texas '12
Send PM
There are some schools that only caculate GPA's based on upper division (jr/sr) level work. McCombs comes to mind. A good senior year balanced out with an ok junior year and you may be in the running.

As others point out your in a good spot as you've realized your deficiencies while there is still time.

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
So a few things. First, are you converting your GPA or is it really a 2.3? Sometimes people do their own conversions and things get a bit screwy there.

Second -- and im sure this comes as no surprise, but, yes a 2.3 will hurt your chances at top schools. You say "even" Kellogg, but make no mistake about it - Kellogg is squarely in the top 5 schools in the US -- and arguably even in the top 3. The issue is simply that those schools can pick virtually anyone they want -- and there are plenty of candidates with *both* good GPAs and good GMATs. That's not to say that you don't have a chance -- it just that you will need to fight even harder to get in to a "top" program.

That said, it doesn't sound like Harvard/Stanford/etc are really your target schools anyway -- if your goal is simply to work / live in CA and attend a good program, you can probably be sucessful.

Third -- you are in a unique position to know your GPA is low while you are still in the program. 99.99% of us find out our GPA is a 'problem' years after graduating -- you have the very fortunate ability to do something about it *now*. Even if your overall GPA remains low -- say 2.5 by graduation, if your final year is substantially better - say 3.0 or 3.5 -- then you can point to that in your essays and say "Look! I struggled my first year or two but ....."

I have to run but in other words:

* Don't blow your brains out, you need them to do well on the GMAT
* Don't despair
* You recognized a weakness early in your career
* You are in the unique position to be able to control (somewhat) your GPA, and that's great.
* Focus on improving your last year

i say kellogs, coz its heard to be one of the schools that doesnt weigh too much on gpa, and he still got rejected. I know northwestern university is on the top ten list.
im thinking that maybe the thunderbird is a very good choice for me, still dont know if can get in. i just have to see more sucess stories to prove my point
really thank you a lot anyway
looks like ive just got some help here
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
First I don't think you really should worry about your GMAT's at this point. Focus on your career. Since you are in at a trading company, if you move up, you may not even need to get an MBA. Also remember GMAT's have a 5 year life span.

I agree with everyone else about working on your final year. Right now all you can really do is finish on a high note then worry about MBA later. Frankly, I think you should just worry about career first and not worry about MBA. The longer you are away from college the less GPA matters.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
You have not mentioned which field you are majoring in. If it's in STEM - I cant help you out, but if its in humanities, I can help you out. PM me if you have questions.
GMAT Club Bot