Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

F-1 Visa Denied [Wharton Admit] - Good Ending

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

F-1 Visa Denied [Wharton Admit] - Good Ending [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 01:50
Guys,
I just had a big setback. F-1 Visa Denied. The US consulate in Nigeria is currently issuing so many visa denials. My problem (copying and pasting from my post in business week):

I have just been denied an F-1 visa because I was unable to demonstrate adequate financial support for my MBA. I understand that the value of ones stock is not considered a source of personal funding. However, somewhere on UChicago's student admit website, it says that one can include 75% the value of ones stock as part of your personal funding/financial contribution. Is this percentage tentative? Could someone share any links where I can get additional information about this? My next visa hearing date is next week and I plan to take along with me a printed copy of proof that 75% of your stock value is permissible, i.e. if at all it is.

Arsene
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 04:17
Arsene,
Try to show "at least" one year's worth tuition+living expenses. All of this should be in liquid assests (cash). Stocks are no good?

spiderman
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 04:42
Arsene, I got a Nigerian friend here at school you may want to talk to. Maybe he can give you some insights. Let me know if you're interested.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 05:13
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I'm assuming the worst that stock is no help and I am preparing with this in mind.

Paul: Thanks for offering to help. I believe I have the solution to this issue (More liquid cash, no dependence on stock, and a letter from my current employer).

The consul officer was simply rude to me; never cared to tell me that stock was not an option, and even revoked my current US visa without informing me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 14:32
wharton I-20 and rejection of F1 visa......unreal....idiot ameircan consulate...that rude guy must be jealous of you as he himself might not have finished his high school....
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 05:07
For your information, usually if you are a foreign applicant the schools will offer you some potential loans. It's not an obligation but it's a possibility. In the majority of the cases the US school offers the opportunity to borrow up to the full cost of MBA (at least the tuition fees) therefore you can totally write on your F1 request that you will use loans from the school even if you don't intend too, after all you know you have this possibility but it doesn't mean that you will use it for sure
I obviously don't know your case in details but I wanted to give this tip to all the applicants because it is a very common issue and that is a potential solution. Sometimes the issue is also that you have asked for a loan from the bank but with the time and the delay you still don';t have any cash at the time you should request the F1 so this solution is really the best in my opinion (tested and approved by myself :wink: )

Good luck

Antoine
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GPA: 3.46
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

seek help perhaps [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2006, 23:15
could u ask a lawyer? they would be your best bet
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2006, 01:17
Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. I returned to the consulate office two days ago for a second interview and was denied again. The embassy here in Nigeria does not consider loans appropriate. They think that if we take such loans, we'll not return - perhaps work in the US in order to pay back the loan. 4 of us, Wharton admits from Nigeria (out of 5) have been denied visas and we believe that it's the consulate's decision to continue to deny student visas to Nigerians. NB: I also have a Wharton fellowship and that didn't help.

A good friend going to HBS was also denied a visa. The situation is tearing my head apart, and I can hardly sleep. Not after all the struggle! :cry: :cry:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2006, 15:52
Have you contacted Wharton?
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

Re: F-1 Visa Denied. Help!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2006, 09:36
Arsene,

That's very sad to hear. It's surprising why anyone would deny visa to highly valuable individuals. I mean, people like you would contribute to the US economy even if you stayed! Perhaps you should contact Wharton, or you know what - say screw it and go to IMD or INSEAD. I've seen consular interviews to Indian students in India, they are mostly rude - sometimes justified, but many times not. In your case, all that should mean nothing because you frikkin got into WHARTON!

I wish you well and hope you find some avenue.

Arsene_Wenger wrote:
Guys,
I just had a big setback. F-1 Visa Denied. The US consulate in Nigeria is currently issuing so many visa denials. My problem (copying and pasting from my post in business week):

I have just been denied an F-1 visa because I was unable to demonstrate adequate financial support for my MBA. I understand that the value of ones stock is not considered a source of personal funding. However, somewhere on UChicago's student admit website, it says that one can include 75% the value of ones stock as part of your personal funding/financial contribution. Is this percentage tentative? Could someone share any links where I can get additional information about this? My next visa hearing date is next week and I plan to take along with me a printed copy of proof that 75% of your stock value is permissible, i.e. if at all it is.

Arsene

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2006, 00:38
Hjort wrote:

Yes, Hjort, I have. Wharton is doing something about it and I have my fingers crossed pending the outcome of her efforts.

Necromonger: We'll see how it goes. I'll try to stay positive. The good thing is that I never resigned my job or requested a leave of absence. So, i'm back to my job and hoping for the best.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2006, 18:30
Hi Arsene,

My best wishes ! I am positive things will work out...

Arsene_Wenger wrote:
Hjort wrote:

Yes, Hjort, I have. Wharton is doing something about it and I have my fingers crossed pending the outcome of her efforts.

Necromonger: We'll see how it goes. I'll try to stay positive. The good thing is that I never resigned my job or requested a leave of absence. So, i'm back to my job and hoping for the best.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2006, 18:43
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

I finally got my visa. Wharton intervened and the US embassy in Nigeria reviewed my application, invited me and stamped my passport.

I'm already 2 days behind classes at Wharton, but who cares? I can dream again.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2006, 22:03
Arsene_Wenger wrote:
Hi Guys,

I finally got my visa. Wharton intervened and the US embassy in Nigeria reviewed my application, invited me and stamped my passport.

Wonderful news!!!!!!
Please be alive on the forum.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2006, 22:12
wow! thats great great news.

Welcome to America.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2006, 05:13
Fantastic!! That's great to hear and it's also very nice to see Wharton intervene!

We hope to hear more from the whartonian in the coming months!

Arsene_Wenger wrote:
Hi Guys,

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 04:25
that's great news.

Pravin
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 17:30
Huge Congratulations !!! I always knew life cannot be so cruel.....huge thumbs up !!!

pravinkawadkar wrote:
that's great news.

Pravin
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2006, 05:51
Thanks for your well wishes, guys. I arrived Philly on Tuesday and I have catching up to do. I am available to anyone who wants to know more about Wharton (school, application, events, etc). You can email me on c_onyewuchi@yahoo.com.

BTW, I have just linked up with Baner!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2006, 19:38
great new bro.....welcome to USA.
  [#permalink] 16 Aug 2006, 19:38