Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

F: We ought not to test the safety of new drugs on sentient

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

F: We ought not to test the safety of new drugs on sentient [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 20:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:06) correct 33% (01:33) wrong based on 45 sessions
F: We ought not to test the safety of new drugs on sentient animals, such as dogs and rabbits. Our benefit means their pain, and they are equal to us in the capacity to feel pain.
G: We must carry out such tests; otherwise, we would irresponsibly sacrifice the human lives that could have been saved by the drugs.
Which of the following, if true, is the best objection that could be made from F’s point of view to counter G’s point?
(A) Even though it is not necessary for people to use cosmetics, cosmetics are also being tested on sentient animals.
(B) Medical science already has at its disposal a great number of drugs and other treatments for serious illnesses.
(C) It is not possible to obtain scientifically adequate results by testing drugs in the test tube, without making tests on living tissue.
(D) Some of the drugs to be tested would save human beings from great pain.
(E) Many tests now performed on sentient animals can be performed equally well on fertilized chicken eggs that are at a very early stage of development.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: new drug tests on sentient animals [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 20:36
Who should be guinea pig is at issue

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: new drug tests on sentient animals [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 20:38
C and D actually support G's argument rather than countering it- hence are eliminated
B is illogical- just because we already have a lot of drugs doesnt mean we dont need more. rejected

A is incorrect because it limits the discussion to testng of cosmetics. first of all there is no indication that testing of cosmetics causes pain to animals. also lets say F uses that as an argument- he is virtually going against his own argument- saying that dont do saftey tests for cosmetics on animals, rest you can do, if thet really can save human lives.
E is the best choice as it clearly gives an alternative to drug testing on animals.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: new drug tests on sentient animals [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 20:53
I was stuck on A and E and I chose A.

My reasoning:

Question asks which stmt can "counter" G's point. Option E gives alternative approach but doesn't counter G's point.

G's point is that drug test on animals will save human lives. But by saying that cosmetics are also tested on animals, F can argue that not only life saving drugs but also cosmetics are tested on animals.

I agree that there is no mention of pain involved in testing of cosmetics on animals.

But, I think E does not "counter" G's point appropriately.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: new drug tests on sentient animals [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 21:00
This post received
KUDOS
Cut the fluff and put the arg in lame terms
F: animals should not be tested
G: animals should be tested
The issue is animals or the subject of experiment and not the experiment or method itself

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: new drug tests on sentient animals [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
fanatico wrote:
F: We ought not to test the safety of new drugs on sentient animals, such as dogs and rabbits. Our benefit means their pain, and they are equal to us in the capacity to feel pain.
G: We must carry out such tests; otherwise, we would irresponsibly sacrifice the human lives that could have been saved by the drugs.
Which of the following, if true, is the best objection that could be made from F’s point of view to counter G’s point?
(A) Even though it is not necessary for people to use cosmetics, cosmetics are also being tested on sentient animals.
(B) Medical science already has at its disposal a great number of drugs and other treatments for serious illnesses.
(C) It is not possible to obtain scientifically adequate results by testing drugs in the test tube, without making tests on living tissue.
(D) Some of the drugs to be tested would save human beings from great pain.
(E) Many tests now performed on sentient animals can be performed equally well on fertilized chicken eggs that are at a very early stage of development.

to support F's statement, we need to find something that is justifiable to say we should not perform tests on sentient animals: lets see who does it:

A -- it doesn't say that we shouldn't test the other products that are necessary., so eliminated.
B -- this doesn't suffice to tell we need to invent new products. there by doesn't talk about testing. eliminated
C -- supporting G's statement somewhat. so, wrong answer.
D -- supporting G's statement somewhat. so, wrong answer.
E -- this shows us the alternative to testing on sentient animals. Thereby telling testing on sentient animals can be avoided. this is what F wanted and hence the correct answer...

If you like my post, please press Kudos+1

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: new drug tests on sentient animals [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
E is a clear winner
SVP
SVP
Followers: 235

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: F: We ought not to test the safety of new drugs on sentient [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 11:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: F: We ought not to test the safety of new drugs on sentient   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2014, 11:34