Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

F1 Visa done...in 30 secs

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2006
Posts: 155
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

F1 Visa done...in 30 secs [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 07:11
Hey guyz,

Got my visa approved in a jiffy today.. Guess the school and the scholarship in the I-20 did the trick. I was not even asked to open my folder or show any of the documents/marksheets. I was jus asked 3 q's, one on work ex, one on the scholarship and one on how i'm gonna manage the rest of the amount. piece of cake[:)].

So I am done with my final obstacle in this long standing application process. Yippppppeeee. :wave

I am starting on Aug 25th from India to Columbus. Till then, its lots free time to take care of my mom who is recovering very well from treatment for cancer and also manage to squeeze in sometime to make some local travel( not to forget the extensive shopping[:)])

Go buckeyes!!
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 1001
Location: New York
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 08:06
Given the stupidity of US Consulates, you are lucky!!
Congrats!!

Let me know if you need any help once you land here

cheers
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 782
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 10:38
Great news!

:knight Time to haul *donkey* :lol:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 11:03
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Given the stupidity of US Consulates, you are lucky!!
Congrats!!

Let me know if you need any help once you land here

cheers


I think the word stupidity is quite harsh, no matter how much evidence you may have to support your claim. Maybe you could write sth like: "Given the unpredictability of US Consulates...".

Anyway, do whatever you want, I'm just suggesting.

L.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 1001
Location: New York
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 11:16
lepium wrote:
I think the word stupidity is quite harsh, no matter how much evidence you may have to support your claim. Maybe you could write sth like: "Given the unpredictability of US Consulates...".

Anyway, do whatever you want, I'm just suggesting.

L.


Hey Lepium, I didn't think twice before writing that , agree there are good and bad consulates.....

May be in my case I was irritated by them, whenever i travelled to US ....
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 12:51
Ozmba2006 wrote:
lepium wrote:
I think the word stupidity is quite harsh, no matter how much evidence you may have to support your claim. Maybe you could write sth like: "Given the unpredictability of US Consulates...".

Anyway, do whatever you want, I'm just suggesting.

L.


Hey Lepium, I didn't think twice before writing that , agree there are good and bad consulates.....

May be in my case I was irritated by them, whenever i travelled to US ....


The process is admittedly stressful. I would say there are genuine candidates that do not do a good job presenting their case (happens all the time in interviews) and there are bad candidates who get in. Students interested in obtaining a visa should be absolutely clear about why they want that education and what they intend to do with it. I would argue that candidates for an MBA at a top school would have no problem answering these questions. You wont be even admitted without clear goals.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 14:32
lepium wrote:
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Given the stupidity of US Consulates, you are lucky!!
Congrats!!

Let me know if you need any help once you land here

cheers


I think the word stupidity is quite harsh, no matter how much evidence you may have to support your claim. Maybe you could write sth like: "Given the unpredictability of US Consulates...".

Anyway, do whatever you want, I'm just suggesting.

L.


Hey Lepium:
I like your political correctness :) So when r u moving to Boston?
- sm
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 15:10
sm176811 wrote:
Hey Lepium:
I like your political correctness :) So when r u moving to Boston?
- sm


Thanks. :) I'll be moving in late August. When are you going to Evanston? Or is it Boston after all?

L.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2006
Posts: 155
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 17:53
Thanks ppl,

@ Oz, sure will contact you soon. Gonna be my first travel abroad and I could do with some help[:)]

Btw, I suppose the rest of you arent aware that the Chennai consulate in India is the busiest U.S consulate in the world, a fact mentioned by the Chief counsellor himself yesterday even as he was addresing the applicants before the start of the interview session. They process upto 1200 applicants (OMG!!) everyday. Given this huge workload, it so happens that some bad studs do get in and some genuine ppl are made to run around, like being asked to wait for the whole day and having their financial docs checked thoroughly. That explains why some people do really get frustrated with the working of the consulate.

This whole visa thing is a craze in India with lots of forums and orkut communities dedicated solely for discussing visa stuff, especially F1- student visa. The hype is exagerrated by the fact that there is heavy production of engineers( rather B.E degree holders[:)] who want to pursue an M.S degree in the USA at any cost and hence apply in bulk loads to the engineering schools at various universities in the US.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2005
Posts: 182
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 18:54
I'm lucky too. They even did not ask me much, just one question why I chose this school? and then asked to come back the following day to pick up visa. However, the long line of applicants made me frustrated! :)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 782
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 20:07
mbadart07 wrote:
Btw, I suppose the rest of you arent aware that the Chennai consulate in India is the busiest U.S consulate in the world...


Seriously, I've seen those looooong queues. Amazing... The Chennai heat makes it worse! :shock:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 20:37
paddyboy wrote:
mbadart07 wrote:
Btw, I suppose the rest of you arent aware that the Chennai consulate in India is the busiest U.S consulate in the world...


Seriously, I've seen those looooong queues. Amazing... The Chennai heat makes it worse! :shock:


I have seen some very entrepreneurial folks offer place holding services to keep your slot while you go take a leak, a smoke or grab a quick bite to eat.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2005
Posts: 182
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 22:02
My visa expiration is next year (12 months). Can we extend visa in the US or have to come back to renew?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 22:45
GMATcram wrote:
My visa expiration is next year (12 months). Can we extend visa in the US or have to come back to renew?


what visa are you on? You can stay in the US as long as you have a valid I-94. You will need a visa stamp only if you plan to come back after travelling outside.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2005
Posts: 182
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2007, 23:57
F-1 Visa, from May 2007 to May 2008. The envelop has not been open yet.
I guess the custom officer at the port will mention my stay in I-20 or I-94? I don't know. Do you have any idea on this kind of visa? When do I need to renew visa?

Quote:

what visa are you on? You can stay in the US as long as you have a valid I-94. You will need a visa stamp only if you plan to come back after travelling outside.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 1001
Location: New York
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2007, 11:53
GMATcram wrote:
F-1 Visa, from May 2007 to May 2008. The envelop has not been open yet.
I guess the custom officer at the port will mention my stay in I-20 or I-94? I don't know. Do you have any idea on this kind of visa? When do I need to renew visa?

Quote:

what visa are you on? You can stay in the US as long as you have a valid I-94. You will need a visa stamp only if you plan to come back after travelling outside.


Visa Duration will be mentioned on the I-94 and it will be <= time mentioned on the visa stamp

I thought a student visa will be given for 2 years....any way check on http://www.murthy.com for visa related stuff, they have active forums where US based lawyers some times moderate the forums

cheers
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Posts: 125
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 10:23
GMATcram wrote:
F-1 Visa, from May 2007 to May 2008. The envelop has not been open yet.
I guess the custom officer at the port will mention my stay in I-20 or I-94? I don't know. Do you have any idea on this kind of visa? When do I need to renew visa?

Quote:

what visa are you on? You can stay in the US as long as you have a valid I-94. You will need a visa stamp only if you plan to come back after travelling outside.


As long as you do not leave US, you do not need a new visa. You will have to provide new financial documents and get a new I-20 every year.
  [#permalink] 07 Jun 2007, 10:23
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
H1B to F1 Visa Process mbanerd16 0 12 Nov 2013, 14:46
H1B visa to F1 visa query007 3 27 Dec 2012, 10:38
11 H1-F1 conversion / general student visa questions Class2012 161 14 Dec 2009, 08:08
Visa - denied F-1 Dilshod 6 29 Apr 2007, 10:24
1 F-1 Visa Denied [Wharton Admit] - Good Ending Arsene_Wenger 20 29 Jun 2006, 01:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

F1 Visa done...in 30 secs

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.