Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the citys

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the citys [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 01:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
290.
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize
(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing
(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize
(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize
(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization


OA == A???
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1390
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 03:32
C.... for parallelism

to propose ...to reduce


Also we need a simple past
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2006
Posts: 46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 04:13
All choices except C are wrong for the incorrect use of parallelism.

C is the answer.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 04:15
OA == A...

I will explain l8.. i also choose E the first time
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2004
Posts: 502
Location: Europe
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 08:42
sm176811 wrote:
OA == A...

I will explain l8.. i also choose E the first time


Are you in hurry?
At 12:14 p.m. posted the question and in 3 hours at 3:15 p.m. the answer.
What is the point?
Please give the possibility to discuss the Q to other gmaclubbers? :(
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 15:50
M8 wrote:
sm176811 wrote:
OA == A...

I will explain l8.. i also choose E the first time


Are you in hurry?
At 12:14 p.m. posted the question and in 3 hours at 3:15 p.m. the answer.
What is the point?
Please give the possibility to discuss the Q to other gmaclubbers? :(


Chill dude! It takes 2 mins to do a SC problem - 3-hours is a LONG time! Just dont scroll down to see the answer - that's why I added so much empty space!! :roll:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: [SC] Mayor [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 17:11
sm176811 wrote:
290.
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city’s mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize
(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city’s major cultural institutions and for subsidizing
(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize
(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions, and to subsidize
(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city’s major cultural institutions and for the subsidization


OA == A???


Correct idiom is 'allocate to'. 'A' has correct parallelism also, to maintain ... to subsidize.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Posts: 256
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2006, 18:16
I voted for A lets see whats wrong with C

proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city’s major cultural institutions and to subsidize

"proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent" - does'nt this sound ungrammatical? unordered with amount. that is why i did'nt select it
  [#permalink] 04 Apr 2006, 18:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the citys papillon86 1 05 Nov 2009, 09:58
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the citys prude_sb 5 17 May 2006, 17:47
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the citys Avis 4 14 Feb 2006, 10:23
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the citys vivek123 15 07 Jan 2006, 06:07
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city's shygo 11 03 Sep 2004, 06:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the citys

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.