Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Facing issue with time management..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Facing issue with time management.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2009, 14:06
Guys I a facing issue with time management in verbal, i gave GMAT verbal witthout time i scored about 39 but within time i get only 27-28 sometimes.In maths section i get 49 easily. can some help me.

for one passage i take almost 8 min atleast and 1 +1/2 min per question.(60%)

CR I take about 3 min per question.(75%)

Sc I take about 55 sec.accuracy (70%)

this data is from my issue log. please suggest me how to improve, I had taken the date on 16th July now plan to shift it to augs last week.

So i have good 2 months. right now in gmat prep i am getting 620(maths-49 and verbal 27).

I need atleast 750.

Please advice me asap.

Material covered till date is MANHTGMAT SC/bibleCR few chaps left/RC english comp vlm 5 from ets.

practice i am doing from 1000 sc currently at 640 sc. CR i am at 320/1000. and rc i have done OG11,OG10-mid.

need help ... :-)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2267

Kudos [?]: 8732 [1] , given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Facing issue with time management.. [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2009, 14:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Suggestion: - get GMAT Timer

My personal strategy was to spend 45-60 seconds on SC's (read question once, identify the problem, phrase it in my mind, and find the correct answer that matched the one I made up). Usually I could hit these in that time slot and in 20% of cases needed as much as a minute and a half. I would spend 1:30 on each CR question. I could crack half of them in 45-60 seconds but the other half took closer to 2 minutes, so it was averaging about 1:30. All of this was building up towards the section I had the most problems with - reading comprehension. I knew that I needed 60 x 15 for SC's, 1:30 x 14 for CR's and that left 39 minutes for RC, which meant I could spend 9 minutes per passage. I would read the passage very carefully and spend probably 5-6 minutes doing and not feeling rushed as I knew I could read any passage in that period of time. After finishing the text, I knew I had 1 minute for each question so I did not need to rush either. On the Verbal, I did not really keep track of the clock when moving from question to question, but I would note the time when I start the RC passage and made sure I did not go over the allotted time by the end.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: Facing issue with time management.. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 13:10
Thanks dude, But I need a plan to overcome the weak verbal section, if you may suggest me some plan from your earlier interaction with other student it will be great.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Facing issue with time management.. [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2009, 12:33
nik,

Just in case you missed it, here bb outlines a detailed timing strategy:

timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Facing issue with time management.. [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 11:28
It seems you have some issues with fundamentals in Verbal, not just with timing. Nothing to worry about if you have enough time because the only known solution is the combination of learning gramatics from some guide like MGMAT SC and ton of practice. Unfortunately, I am not sure if you can do it in just 2 months.

Big jumps in verbal score are possible but that requires lot of practice. You have to practice RC, your reading is too slow at this moment. You should be able to read a passage under 3:30, that way you would have spent some 14 minutes reading 4 passages and additional 12 to 14 minutes for answering the questions. With that pacing, you will spend somewhere between 25 and 30 minutes only on RC, which leaves you some 45 minuts for other two sections.

Read as much as you can. Download RC1000 and read LSAT passages, they are ridiculously hard and will improve your speed. And be prepared to spend more than 2 months on this.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Facing issue with time management..   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2009, 11:28