Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: Wealth Management
WE 2: Structured Finance
WE 3: Private Equity
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618673 [3]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618673 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: Factoring w/ Exponents Question [#permalink]
Kudos
I certainly see the short method and understand that, I'm still stuck though on the long hand.

When I get to this step, \(m^n (\frac{m-1}{m})\) I don't recognize the rules that let us move the division to the other part of the forumla to finish it.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618673 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Merging similar topics.

GSDster wrote:
I'm using the MGMAT Number Properties book and I'm hoping someone can please explain a concept for me.

Going to and from Distributed Form and Factored Form...

a^b-a^(b-1) turns into a^b(1-a^(-1)) = a^(b-1)(a-1)
I understand the first step, but how do you get from a^b(1-a^(-1)) to a^(b-1)(a-1)?

Sorry for not using the math tag. The equation in the exponent seems to mess up the formatting. Thanks in advance!

The only difference is the names of variables:

You can directly factor out \(a^{b-1}\) from \(a^b-a^{b-1}\) and get \(a^{b-1}*(a-1)\) as \(a^{b-1}*(a-1)=a^{b-1}*a-a^{b-1}=a^b-a^{b-1}\).

Or the long way: \(a^b-a^{b-1}=a^b-a^b*a^{-1}\) -> factor out \(a^b\): \(a^b(1-a^{-1})=a^b(1-\frac{1}{a})=a^b(\frac{a-1}{a})=\frac{a^b}{a}*(a-1)=a^{b-1}*(a-1)\).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for all the help, it's much clearer now! I was just being thick about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I'm using the MGMAT Number Properties book and I'm hoping someone can please explain a concept for me.

I understand the first step, but how do you get from a^b(1-a^(-1)) to a^(b-1)(a-1)?

Sorry for not using the math tag. The equation in the exponent seems to mess up the formatting. Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Merging similar topics.

GSDster wrote:

The only difference is the names of variables:

You can directly factor out \(a^{b-1}\) from \(a^b-a^{b-1}\) and get \(a^{b-1}*(a-1)\) as \(a^{b-1}*(a-1)=a^{b-1}*a-a^{b-1}=a^b-a^{b-1}\).

Or the long way: \(a^b-a^{b-1}=a^b-a^b*a^{-1}\) -> factor out \(a^b\): \(a^b(1-a^{-1})=a^b(1-\frac{1}{a})=a^b(\frac{a-1}{a})=\frac{a^b}{a}*(a-1)=a^{b-1}*(a-1)\).

Thanks for the response! Man, that long way really is long. Are there any times when I will actually have to do the long way, or can I just sort of skip all that and memorize the format of the factored form? I guess what I'm really asking is, are there any conditions that I should be aware of for when I can or can't use the shortcut?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618673 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
GSDster wrote:
Thanks for the response! Man, that long way really is long. Are there any times when I will actually have to do the long way, or can I just sort of skip all that and memorize the format of the factored form? I guess what I'm really asking is, are there any conditions that I should be aware of for when I can or can't use the shortcut?

Second approach looks long just because every step is written. You can use first approach if you like it more. Anyway, I'd advice to study and understand fundamentals rather than to memorize some specific "formats".
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Second approach looks long just because every step is written. You can use first approach if you like it more. Anyway, I'd advice to study and understand fundamentals rather than to memorize some specific "formats".

I hear you on that. The long formula isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I tried playing around with it, going forward and backwards, and subbing in numbers, and it seems straight-forward enough. But the real test will be when I need to recognize and apply it in a problem (still haven't run into any problems that require it). Thanks again!

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts