Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 55 [2] , given: 14

Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:43) correct 16% (00:47) wrong based on 99 sessions
Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are usually located miles from downtown and regional shopping centers so as not directly to be competitive against department stores in the same trading area.

(A) so as not directly to be competitive against
(B) in order for them not to have direct competition with
(C) so that they do not compete directly with
(D) in order that they are not directly competitive against
(E) for the purpose of not competing directly with

Hi Friends, can someone please tell me whether the 'they' in the official answer is questionable. I eliminated this choice because I was not sure if they referred to stores or manufacturers and hence chose E which eliminates this ambiguity. Kindly explain me your approach.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Expert Post
Followers: 265

Kudos [?]: 2237 [0], given: 690

Re: Factory Outlet Stores. [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 12:03
Expert's post
CharuKapoor wrote:
Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are usually located miles from downtown and regional shopping centers so as not directly to be competitive against department stores in the same trading area.

Hi Friends, can someone please tell me whether the 'they' in the official answer is questionable. I eliminated this choice because I was not sure if they referred to stores or manufacturers and hence chose E which eliminates this ambiguity. Kindly explain me your approach.

The question is a bit confused, so when I m a bit confused I forget the rules of grammar (in first instance9 and rely heavily on meaning.

First of all here the subject are the stores (plural)

A ) ackward clearly

B) in order for them is wrong

D ) is the tough of the bill because we have they are not directly competitive against is convoluted and distort a bit the meaning see C in comparison

E) is miles away from the truth

C is the best

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension
7. MY VERBAL QUESTION BANK

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 14

Re: Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 13:28

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Expert Post
Followers: 265

Kudos [?]: 2237 [0], given: 690

Re: Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 13:39
Expert's post
CharuKapoor wrote:

Hi,

But here there isn't ambiguity. Clearly, They refer to stores. Morover, manufactures is placed in an incidenta phresa that in turns out modify the stores...........so is not amboguos.

In gmat land when the contest is clear should not be the problem of pronoun reference

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension
7. MY VERBAL QUESTION BANK

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GNGO2, SSCRB
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.33
WE: Analyst (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 19:17
CharuKapoor wrote:

-----------------------------------
None of the answer choices are making sense except C ... & the + point with C is that "They" is not creating the ambiguity ... So that's Y C must be the answer ...........

If you don’t make mistakes, you’re not working hard. And Now that’s a Huge mistake.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 57

Re: Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 22:02
C is the best option. Please look at the meaning of the sentence -

Looking at the second sentence, it clearly gives you the idea that the latter half of the sentence refers to the stores when it uses "they"
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 13:15
CharuKapoor wrote:

hi charu,
i am not an expert but i will share my thoughts.

first of all i will say never eliminate a choice only on the basis of pronoun ambiguity because it is only the preferred rule and one must always use in the last when you are stuck in 2 answer choces if no other errors are present.

secondly the gmat will usually tolerate pronoun ambiguity if:

1. if the context is obvious.
2. the pronoun is parallel to intended noun.
3. the pronoun is not parallel to other noun.

in this case 2nd one comes in to action:the pronoun is parallel to intended noun.

for clarifying this i will give one example:

take the pizza out of the box and put it.
action noun prepn. noun conj. action pronoun
(verb) (verb)
in this case as per parallel structure rule "it " is clearly refering to "the pizza"

now in our case in this sentence:
Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are usually located miles from downtown and regional shopping centers so that they do not compete directly with department stores in the same trading area.

factory outlet stores verb========they verb ....here by seeing you can say verb is followed by noun manufacturers but logically it is not as it is acting as appositive .

for more clarification you can check this link:
http://vimeo.com/11334034

more to add , in option E

(E) for the purpose of not competing directly with====>Here the meaning of original sentence is changed...for the purpose indicates that the purpose of factory outlet stores was not to compete with department stores.
so for the purpose is wrongly intending something else.
and moreover" for the purpose of not competing directly with" is not clear what is this modifying....

hope it helps

SKM

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 67

Re: Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 20:53
Excellent question, Charu i faced same problem and got stumped. But yes later i realized that gmat is lenient with such pronoun errors.

Archit
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 05:47
CharuKapoor wrote:

Is the idiom compete with instead of compete against?
Anybody know this?

Thanks!
Cheers
Kudos Rain
Re: Factory outlet stores, operated by manufacturers, are   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2013, 05:47