Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 10:27
Hey guys,

Part of the inaugural class here. For those interested in applying, I strongly urge you to reconsider and see what other options are out there.
Recruiting was rough overall for most people but the program administrators will not tell you that during the interview process. Also, they plan to increase the class size by double I believe (lol). Ask away.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 19:02
Why should we reconsider applying?
What about the program did you not like?
What the recuiting sub-par compared to other school?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 10:47
For those without luck during Meet The Firms, how did you end up finding a job?
Why was it so hard for students to get an interview in the first place? If you meet GPA cut off and connect with professionals, surely you would get an interview no?
What % of students got Big 4 offers?
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 12:57
How much did you/will you end up paying out of pocket?

Should I go to this school if I want to go for these reasons:
Networking Connections & Job Recruitment (i'm looking to make a switch into Public Acc from Private Acc)
I would have passed all four parts by August, and I would just need ethics units.
Also, please consider that my entire tuition is waived (so I really only will be paying for housing)

I am awaiting USC's decision (interviewed Friday), but even if I get in, I do not think it is worth the 50k price tag (not even including housing). UCI CSUF and CSUN's programs are the only ones in the state that come remotely close and I can get my tuition waived at those schools.

Let me know what you think :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 12:18
b00gigi wrote:
For those without luck during Meet The Firms, how did you end up finding a job?
Why was it so hard for students to get an interview in the first place? If you meet GPA cut off and connect with professionals, surely you would get an interview no?
What % of students got Big 4 offers?

Most of the class did not get their internships/FT offers through meet the firms.
Most of the class still doesn't have a job.
I think it was hard because there aren't that many slots open and that we are competing with undergrads. And meeting GPA cut offs and networking with professionals is far from enough to get an interview. I would say about 10-15% received big 4 offers and half of those who received big 4 offers interned the summer before they started the program (meaning they had the offer in the bag before attending)
Intern
Intern

Re: Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 12:20
laserglare wrote:

Networking Connections & Job Recruitment (i'm looking to make a switch into Public Acc from Private Acc)
I would have passed all four parts by August, and I would just need ethics units.
Also, please consider that my entire tuition is waived (so I really only will be paying for housing)

I am awaiting USC's decision (interviewed Friday), but even if I get in, I do not think it is worth the 50k price tag (not even including housing). UCI CSUF and CSUN's programs are the only ones in the state that come remotely close and I can get my tuition waived at those schools.

I paid 20 grand out of pocket, took 20 grand in loans and 10 grand in scholly$. the summer school session will run you $10,000 here which is VERY steep. I do not recommend attending the program. I noticed that the east coast schools in general place better. if you are bent on staying in LA, go to UC davis or USC, both their employment reports are out and they seem to be doing better.
Intern
Intern

Re: Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 12:25
laserglare wrote:
Why should we reconsider applying?
What about the program did you not like?
What the recuiting sub-par compared to other school?

You should reconsider applying because the placement so far has been poor. I didn't like the cost to benefit payout. More than half the class is still searching and there doesn't seem to be much emphasis on recruiting after fall is over. Recruiting is subpar due to placement, I don't know what else you're trying to figure out, there simply were not many firms/slots opened up.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 12:53
ensenada90 wrote:
laserglare wrote:

I paid 20 grand out of pocket, took 20 grand in loans and 10 grand in scholly$. the summer school session will run you $10,000 here which is VERY steep. I do not recommend attending the program. I noticed that the east coast schools in general place better. if you are bent on staying in LA, go to UC davis or USC, both their employment reports are out and they seem to be doing better.

Where do you find USC's employment report? Doesn't seem to show up on Google. Only Marshall (MBA)
Intern
Intern

Re: Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 12:57
b00gigi wrote:
ensenada90 wrote:
laserglare wrote:

Where do you find USC's employment report? Doesn't seem to show up on Google. Only Marshall (MBA)

they do not offer it online last time i remember, i had to attend a session and they handed out a brochure. ( it's good to always double check and inquire about the numbers they use though)
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2014, 18:43
Thank you for the information ensenada, you make me feel a lot better about choosing USC over UCI, as it was a tough choice for me (UCI I have friends, closer to gf, and much cheaper).

During UCI's infosessions, they made the program seem amazing, like they have a high budget, great investments, strong connections, excellent students etc, and I really liked the stuffed mushrooms they had during their infosession lol.

I truly believe UCI will be a great MAcc school, it has the potential from the OC surrounding area, but maybe just not right now as its so new.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING. [#permalink] New post 15 May 2014, 00:49
laserglare wrote:
Thank you for the information ensenada, you make me feel a lot better about choosing USC over UCI, as it was a tough choice for me (UCI I have friends, closer to gf, and much cheaper).

During UCI's infosessions, they made the program seem amazing, like they have a high budget, great investments, strong connections, excellent students etc, and I really liked the stuffed mushrooms they had during their infosession lol.

I truly believe UCI will be a great MAcc school, it has the potential from the OC surrounding area, but maybe just not right now as its so new.

Did you already tell USC you were attending? From what I can tell, having all 4 parts of the CPA exam finished would make you an easy pick. I only know for certain of one classmate who attended this program who had passed all 4 and had NOT had an offer prior to coming to this program, and she received many offers, including Big 4. In your specific case, I definitely would have suggested attending UCI.
Re: Facts about the UCI MPAC program; ASK ME ANYTHING.   [#permalink] 15 May 2014, 00:49