Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: FAFSA Strategies [#permalink]
Not until June, at least for federal aid:

https://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before003a.htm
Current Student
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
 Q48  V47
Send PM
mbamatric wrote:
Hard deadlines aren't for a while (I'm not sure the exact date) but most schools are recommending you get them in by the end of February. Sooner the better...

What about R2 applicants who won't get a decision until March?
Current Student
 Q48  V47
Send PM
mbamatric wrote:

2) Maxing out contributions to IRAs. Since IRA balances aren't factored into your net worth calculation, I'm thinking it would be beneficial to move cash to IRA's to lower cash and net worth balances. Also, my understanding is that you can take money out of the IRA at any time without an early withdrawal penalty if it's used to pay down educational expenses. So, it's not like I won't be able to access this money at any time.

Don't you have to include that in Section 4, Question 42 on the FAFSA worksheet?:
As of today, what is the net worth of your (and your spouse’s) investments, including real estate (not your home)?

mbamatric wrote:
3) I know this is a really shady tactic, but I've read (Montauk's book being one) that one may want to transfer cash to your parents for a couple years to have less funds tied to your name for FAFSA purposes. Now, I'm really unsure as to whether or not this is even legal, and wouldn't want to risk doing so if it isn't. But, not sure if many students do this or not and if schools really care....

Thoughts on any of these strategies?

Depends if you qualify as an independent. I've definitely heard of people doing it if they are in other situations where having a low net worth may be beneficial (aka about to get sued). Probably something not worth messing around with unless you think it will make a big, big difference.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Don't we have to file our 2008 Tax returns first? I still don't have my W2 from my bankrupt employer... :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
falibay wrote:
Don't we have to file our 2008 Tax returns first? I still don't have my W2 from my bankrupt employer... :lol:

Same here! (except for the bankrupt part) And yes, you have to file your 2008 taxes before submitting for FASFA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
mbamatric wrote:

2) Maxing out contributions to IRAs. Since IRA balances aren't factored into your net worth calculation, I'm thinking it would be beneficial to move cash to IRA's to lower cash and net worth balances. Also, my understanding is that you can take money out of the IRA at any time without an early withdrawal penalty if it's used to pay down educational expenses. So, it's not like I won't be able to access this money at any time.

Don't you have to include that in Section 4, Question 42 on the FAFSA worksheet?:
As of today, what is the net worth of your (and your spouse’s) investments, including real estate (not your home)?

mbamatric wrote:
3) I know this is a really shady tactic, but I've read (Montauk's book being one) that one may want to transfer cash to your parents for a couple years to have less funds tied to your name for FAFSA purposes. Now, I'm really unsure as to whether or not this is even legal, and wouldn't want to risk doing so if it isn't. But, not sure if many students do this or not and if schools really care....

Thoughts on any of these strategies?

Depends if you qualify as an independent. I've definitely heard of people doing it if they are in other situations where having a low net worth may be beneficial (aka about to get sued). Probably something not worth messing around with unless you think it will make a big, big difference.

As far as IRA goes, they specifically say that retirement accounts are not included, so it would serve as a bit of a safe-haven for your cash...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
mbamatric wrote:
As far as IRA goes, they specifically say that retirement accounts are not included, so it would serve as a bit of a safe-haven for your cash...

Not sure how many big savers are around here, but the Roth IRA is a great place to stash some assets before fillingn out the FAFSA. If you haven't already done so, you can contribute $5,000 for 2008 (before April 15) and another $5,000 for 2009. The best part is you can take out your contibutions whenever you want without penalty (dividends and cap gains can't be touched until you are 59 1/2, though).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
mbamatric wrote:

Not sure how many big savers are around here, but the Roth IRA is a great place to stash some assets before fillingn out the FAFSA. If you haven't already done so, you can contribute $5,000 for 2008 (before April 15) and another $5,000 for 2009. The best part is you can take out your contibutions whenever you want without penalty (dividends and cap gains can't be touched until you are 59 1/2, though).

But Roth IRA is post tax though. That doesn't help you for your FAFSA filings.
Current Student
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:
mbamatric wrote:

Retirement assets don't count when FAFSA determines your "school paying ability" assets. So here's how it works: you can have a) $10,000 in your checking/savings account or b) $10,000 in your Roth IRA. Option B will not be included in your assets (i.e., what they would say one could potentially contribute to pay for school).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:

But Roth IRA is post tax though. That doesn't help you for your FAFSA filings.[/quote]

Retirement assets don't count when FAFSA determines your "school paying ability" assets. So here's how it works: you can have a) $10,000 in your checking/savings account or b) $10,000 in your Roth IRA. Option B will not be included in your assets (i.e., what they would say one could potentially contribute to pay for school).[/quote]

Well without the tax benefit, you might as well just have 10,000 in cash. why not just do a regular IRA. You can withdraw without penalty because of the exception for Higher Education. Also when you do pay taxes on the withdrawl NEXT YEAR, the rate will be lower since your income should have dropped conciderably.
Current Student
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

GoBruins wrote:

ryguy904 wrote:
Retirement assets don't count when FAFSA determines your "school paying ability" assets. So here's how it works: you can have a) $10,000 in your checking/savings account or b) $10,000 in your Roth IRA. Option B will not be included in your assets (i.e., what they would say one could potentially contribute to pay for school).

GoBruins wrote:
Well without the tax benefit, you might as well just have 10,000 in cash. why not just do a regular IRA. You can withdraw without penalty because of the exception for Higher Education. Also when you do pay taxes on the withdrawl NEXT YEAR, the rate will be lower since your income should have dropped conciderably.

I hear what your saying, but it's not the route that I would go. Again, although the Roth doesn't have a tax benefit (1-something that I'm not eligible for anyway given my income level and 2-maxmimum benfit of about $1,000 tax deduction, assuming 25% tax rate), again my point was that a Roth shields the assets. So when you say, "might as well have cash" - well NO, because cash will be included as an asset, and a Roth won't. Horse beaten. Now that that is cleared up, I'm not going to get into a Roth v. Traditional IRA debate. There are hundreds of articles on the internet that have already done that. Just my two post-tax pennies, though. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Cornell '11
Send PM
Yup, I think I'm gonna max out my Roth IRA contributions this year to shield those assets from FAFSA and then simply pull them out, penalty free, when I need to repay my student loans...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
Play around with various scenarios and see how they affect financial aid eligibility before you submit your FAFSA through the FAFSA4Caster.

https://www.fafsa4caster.ed.gov/

For the most part, most of us are only going to be offered unsubsidized Stafford loans, and since they're NOT need-based it doesn't quite matter if you "shield" a few thousand bucks in an IRA or in your Mom's checking account or wherever. I personally find all this strategizing to be an ethical grey area.

ryguy904's suggestion on the Roth IRAs is a good one though. You can technically withdraw principal without penalty and additional taxes at any time, and withdraw earnings for educational expenses without penalty, too.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
mbamatric wrote:

I thought Roth IRAs can't be utilized if you make over a certain amount of money, something around $90K/year, unless I'm mistaken.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
rca215 wrote:
I thought Roth IRAs can't be utilized if you make over a certain amount of money, something around $90K/year, unless I'm mistaken.

You are correct. Generally, the income limits are:

- $114,000 for single
- $166,000 for married

Source: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590/ch02.html#d0e9252
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Good question. I was thinking about this, as I have some cash I need to decide what to do with. I wanted to keep this sum as somewhat of a reserve during school, something we could tap into for various living expenses rather than being tempted by credit cards. Sounds like perhaps dumping it into an IRA might be better than putting it into some other liquid account?

However, as somebody else noted, I'm not sure how much difference it will make. Wouldn't the total amount available for the student to contribute affect the subsidized loan amount offered? You can still borrow up to the limit on unsubsidized and then get the rest through the Plus loans at 8.5%, regardless of how much you have available in savings, right?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
MeddlingKid wrote:
Wouldn't the total amount available for the student to contribute affect the subsidized loan amount offered? You can still borrow up to the limit on unsubsidized and then get the rest through the Plus loans at 8.5%, regardless of how much you have available in savings, right?

The amount of assets you have would figure into the calculation of your "expected family contribution," which the school uses in figuring out your financial aid award. It certainly would affect whether you qualify for subsidized Stafford loans or need-based scholarships (if your school offers them), but I don't think it would affect unsubsidized or Plus loans.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5