Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 08:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

FAILED AGAIN! HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

FAILED AGAIN! HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 22:44
Last year, I completely botched the real GMAT. I scored in the 80th percentile in Verbal, but somewhere in the 20th percentile in math. -The latter was nowhere near my capacity, I was not great in math, but I typically scored between the 50-70th percentile on practice exams. I had major test anxiety and noticed it considerably on the math section, which happens to be the first section of the exam.

Knowing that my capacity in math was low despite botching the test, I joined GMATClub for its unique gmat challenges. I found everything, including the forums and newsletters very very helpful. I bought the gmat challenges, studied and practiced everyday.

2 days before my second and last GMAT, I took a free Manhattan GMAT practice exam and score 700 Q48 V39. I felt it matched my progress as I had averaged 2/3 correct answers in the (gmatclub) math challenges and above 30 correct in the verbal challenges.

The night before the GMAT, I slept early, but from anxiety, woke up at 3am. I went back to sleep. Then woke up at 5am! I couldnt believe what was happening to me! I went back to sleep, but it was no good, I woke up at 8am and my exam was in the morning so I had to leave for it feeling awful. To make matters worse, my anxiety never left me. In short, I ended up bombing the GMAT AGAIN! To make it all more interesting, this time, I scored in the 20th percentile in Verbal. -Absolutely nutz!

I now feel that my performance is a crap shoot and that I have spent wayyyy too much of my time and my life studying for this. I really don't know what to do. I don't know whether I should just give up or not. I have sooo many GMAT books and material that I've exhausted. I really question whether I hit the same realization of the person who took the exam 20 times and got the same score. Everybody on here has been real nice and helpful, but I think I'm now looking for some brutal honesty. When do you make that realization I alluded to?

and If I should give it one more chance, how do I measure myself henceforth? I feel that nothing has been indicative of judgement day.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: FAILED AGAIN! HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 23:01
looks like youve got the basics down pat. i would take it again, but try to do a few things before your next test.

1. dont study hardcore. consider the next 31 days a light/medium review (since you have the potential to do well based on your most recent practice scores)
2. take your exam in the afternoon. make it as late as possible. i know i am not a morning person, and i also figured i'd be nervous the night before (both wound up being true), so i accounted for this and made my test at 2 pm. that way, even if you have trouble sleeping, you can afford to sleep an extra hour or two.
3. the night before your test, go do some sort of extended strenuous activity. go for a 5k run/jog; go to the gym; if you dont have access to one, run by your house, do pushups in your room. basically expend a lot of energy so your body will be dead tired - you'll fall asleep more easily
4. i think this helped me out too, but the morning of your test, don't do anything studying-wise (you'll wind up getting more nervous). instead, go do some more physical activities (as #3 above), but don't tire yourself out.
5. give yourself the confidence. from what you've posted, you seem to have the capability to beat your last 2 official test scores tremendously. you just have to believe in yourself and let this confidence carry you through the exam

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8195 [1] , given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: FAILED AGAIN! HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP! [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 20:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Give up? If you are willing to give something up you probably don't want it or did not put the right effort into it.
If you are asking about when it is time to finish preparing/taking GMAT - very simple (not kidding) - when you feel no guilt.

if you are able to stand freely and say that you have done everything you possibly could to achieve your dream and goal and you gave full effort and put all of your ability and mind into it, and that's the best result you achieved - that's when you can stay you are done with GMAT.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: FAILED AGAIN! HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP! [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 21:58
Part of the GMAT that is ignored, often just because we do not think of it, is that the GMAT tests our ability to perform under pressure. We get 78 questions to answer in 150 minutes. Not a big deal, 2 minutes per question, right? But that only considers the "time" pressure. It doesn't consider the thoughts of "I just dropped $250 on this, I can't really afford to take it again. I have to get the right score this time!", "My entire future with an MBA in my career is riding on this! I have to rock this test!" "Oh no, I told my boss I was going to get my MBA, what if I get a bad score and he/she will know I didn't get a good enough score to get into an MBA program?"

We put way too much pressure on ourselves and I think you're doing that too. You could use a mantra to repeat to yourself prior to and during the test. This is what I use when I'm nervous. Whether it's appearing for oral argument (I'm an attorney), taking the bar exam, or taking the GMAT. I say to myself, "This is what all of my preparation is for. Now it's time to perform and set myself apart. I'm ready, lets do it."

For me, this takes the pressure off of me because I know what I've done to bring myself to that point of performance and what I can do nothing to help me out at that point other than PERFORM!!!!

I like to watch professional sports. Whether you're an NBA fan, NFL fan, soccer (football), or anything else. There are so many athletes that have the physical abilities to be the best. A guy I knew from college was drafted by the Detroit Tigers as a pitcher. He got his shot to pitch a few years ago when Kenny Rogers got hurt. He went 7 and a third and got the W for Detroit. He went back to the minors and was in spring training the next year to battle for a starting spot. He had a bad outing, went to the dugout, punched a wall, broke a small bone in his hand and has never had a shot since. He throws his fastball about 96 mph, has a curve that moves more than an elevator and is immensely talented. The difference between him and Kenny Rogers is the ability to perform under pressure. The pressure got to him and he couldn’t get it done.
I know you have the capability of performing and getting these questions right, you just need to get your mind in the right place where you can perform and not worry about it. I don’t know you well enough to give you any tips on how specifically to do that, but I do hope you find it. Once you are able to find it, then you’ll get an awesome score.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: FAILED AGAIN! HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 08:55
Never give up! Practice your mental endurance (try 2 CAT in one day) and maybe practice in a more stressful environment? Perhaps TV up or something.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: FAILED AGAIN! HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 11:42
why don;t you try the GRE?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: FAILED AGAIN! HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP! [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2011, 14:23
bb wrote:
Give up? If you are willing to give something up you probably don't want it or did not put the right effort into it.
If you are asking about when it is time to finish preparing/taking GMAT - very simple (not kidding) - when you feel no guilt.

if you are able to stand freely and say that you have done everything you possibly could to achieve your dream and goal and you gave full effort and put all of your ability and mind into it, and that's the best result you achieved - that's when you can stay you are done with GMAT.

This is actually really good advice. I am a personal trainer and when I am with a client and if they aren't able to make a certain repetition count but gave 100% they NEVER complain. If they didn't give 100% then I here complaints about something being too hard, they are tired, or anything else they dream up. Giving 100% eliminates all excuses and your best effort is exactly that and nothing less.

I say schedule a month or two where you can give 100% of your free time to the GMAT. Practice as best as you can and then take the test and leave it all on the field. If you give 100% I think any remaining questions you have lingering inside will be gone.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: FAILED AGAIN! HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP! [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 14:45
That really sucks. But I think you've come to the wrong forum for that. We generally don't seem to be a bunch of quitters, even if it may actually be better for us. My motto is to never give up. Never. Because when you do, you cease to exist. Just IMHO.

That probably wasn't what you were looking for, but that's how most of us prospective MBA applicants keep ourselves going.

So my advice to you is to NOT give up and KEEP AT IT. Someday you can achieve your goal. It just has to come from YOU. If you think positively, then it will be easier to come to a positive outcome....

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Re: FAILED AGAIN! HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO GIVE UP!   [#permalink] 02 May 2011, 14:45