Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 15:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Failed GMAT Attempt ... Advice for 2nd ATTEMPT PLEASE!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Epsilon Pi Tau
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Failed GMAT Attempt ... Advice for 2nd ATTEMPT PLEASE! [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 17:08
Hello All,

I took my GMAT in May and got a dismal 510 Q32 V28 AWA 4.5. I was heartbroken; I didn't sleep well, didn't eat breakfast, got to my test center late and I think everything just frustrated me before I even had a chance :( . I ran out of time on almost all of my sections and left feeling really down. I'm a bookworm, I couldn't even believe I received such a HORRIBLE verbal score, I was depressed for two days about my GMAT score. However, I've decided to try again until I achieve my target score.

I want to get into Top 10 schools, my target score is 700+. I used MGMAT (foundations of math and the 8 strategy guide set) books to prepare for the test as well as the OG 12.

I know that I need to up my quant score (data suffiency is my main problem) but I was kind of relying on getting an incredible verbal score to balance it out.

What should I do get a higher score on my next attempt?
I've decided that I may need a to enroll in a test prep class.
I'm debating between MGMAT and Kaplan. Any advice is duly appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 03-30-2012
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Failed GMAT Attempt ... Advice for 2nd ATTEMPT PLEASE! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 14:44
jenellej wrote:
Hello All,

I took my GMAT in May and got a dismal 510 Q32 V28 AWA 4.5. I was heartbroken; I didn't sleep well, didn't eat breakfast, got to my test center late and I think everything just frustrated me before I even had a chance :( . I ran out of time on almost all of my sections and left feeling really down. I'm a bookworm, I couldn't even believe I received such a HORRIBLE verbal score, I was depressed for two days about my GMAT score. However, I've decided to try again until I achieve my target score.

I want to get into Top 10 schools, my target score is 700+. I used MGMAT (foundations of math and the 8 strategy guide set) books to prepare for the test as well as the OG 12.

I know that I need to up my quant score (data suffiency is my main problem) but I was kind of relying on getting an incredible verbal score to balance it out.

Kaplan is good. I took the online course but did not spend enough time going thru everything. I rushed thru it and took the GMAT and scored a dismal 540. I believe if i had worked out all the quizzes and the practice exams, would've certainly done better. Am thinking whether to retake the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Re: Failed GMAT Attempt ... Advice for 2nd ATTEMPT PLEASE! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 20:28
jenellej wrote:
Hello All,

Here are my takeaways in your story:
1. Reliance on one section to boost your overall performance. I also had that impression but hell i was wrong. I was good in quant so I told myself, "bleh my quant score will definitely drive my score up anyways." Couldn't be more wrong. Next time, no stones unturned. Study everything. I know it's hard to study your weaknesses but believe me, all strengths begin as weaknesses.

2. Keep an error log. Keep track of the questions you did wrong and make sure to go over them again and again and again. Be comfortable with them to the point that you are unconsciously thinking: "so what can the people from the GMAC do to twist this question?"

3. Practice under timed conditions. Again, the dynamics are very very very different when you practice your questions timed.

4. Have fun. :) Life is a matter of attitude.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Failed GMAT Attempt ... Advice for 2nd ATTEMPT PLEASE! [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 20:25
jenellej wrote:
I didn't sleep well, didn't eat breakfast, got to my test center late and I think everything just frustrated me before I even had a chance :( . I ran out of time on almost all of my sections and left feeling really down.

Jenellej, from your comments here, first time test anxieties definitely contributed to lower score. I can't find the thread but there was a post about non-gmat related things you can do to improve your score. It includes going to test center prior to day of exam so you're familiar with route (hopefully you won't be going to a different text center next time!), making sure you bring drinks and snacks so you won't run out of energy (but don't drink so much that you have to run to bathroom in middle of exam or eat/drink something new that would upset your stomach; ie, don't try for first time an energy drink), etc.

Regarding studying for the test, definitely make sure you put in timed practice -- both in how long it takes to you finish each question, but also do full lengh (75 min) exams with about 5 min break back to back to mimic exam conditions.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Failed GMAT Attempt ... Advice for 2nd ATTEMPT PLEASE! [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 20:39
Re: Failed GMAT Attempt ... Advice for 2nd ATTEMPT PLEASE!   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2012, 20:39