Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Failed the GMAT(460). Need advice.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 13

Failed the GMAT(460). Need advice. [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 04:57
This post received
KUDOS
So after 6 months of studying on and off I finally took the GMAT this past weekend and failed. I was about 43% percentile on verbal and 10% percentile on quant. It has been pretty hard for me to study due to 50-60 hour work weeks and top of that I travel for work which the hours are not built into my schedule, but that is why I started studying 6 months ago.

I was pretty confident going into it from going through all of the below materials. I completed all of the problem sets in the verbal/math guides, used an error log broken out by question category(i.e. find assumption,triangle geometry,etc.), took all 6 of the MGMAT CATs and both GMAT Prep CATS. And went through the MGMAT series based on my weaknesses multiple times.

I was consistently receiving above 600s on my MGMAT CATs.. I believe I received a 400 something(first practice exam) and a 550 on my GMAT prep cats. I don't remember off the top of my head all of the scores but they were in that range.

I used the below set of books during my studies.
Books
MGMAT Verbal Guide
MGMAT Math Guide
MGMAT OG 12
MGMAT Series

I started the test with a really easy essay topic. I felt like I got off to a really good start. I also felt like the IR section came really easy to me. My confidence was sky high going into the Math Section considering the essay and IR is what I barely prepared for. I don't know what got into me but I started doing things that I wasn't doing on the practice exams(maybe it was because it was the real thing and i was nervous), but I was double checking answers.... doing a lot of long division... going through all of the answers... reassuring myself that I was correct.... before I knew it I was running out of time and I had 9 questions left with about 5 minutes left to go and I started just guessing. After I knew that I was screwed from this... I got really nervous and didn't do that well on the verbal.

I am honestly just looking to score above a 600. I have a pretty good set of credentials which will help me get into Bschool. It's just the GMAT that is holding me back at this point. I am completely crushed by my score. I feel like all of the time I have put in has been worthless. I need some advice on how to rebound from this. I don't want to give up but I am completely burnt out from studying and work. Should I take time off from the test and take a second attempt next spring when my work hours decrease? Should I maybe take a class? Should I take another crack at it in a month and work on my timing? I am not sure what to do at this point.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 0 [2] , given: 0

Re: Failed the GMAT(460). Need advice. [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 18:19
This post received
KUDOS
Have you tried to keep an error log? You should really clean up your basics first - in all your practice tests, make an excel spreadsheet of each question and topic type and see where you're getting questions wrong. And hone in on that...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics, Finance

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Failed the GMAT(460). Need advice. [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 12:22
SteelersWVU09 wrote:
So after 6 months of studying on and off I finally took the GMAT this past weekend and failed. I was about 43% percentile on verbal and 10% percentile on quant. It has been pretty hard for me to study due to 50-60 hour work weeks and top of that I travel for work which the hours are not built into my schedule, but that is why I started studying 6 months ago.

I was pretty confident going into it from going through all of the below materials. I completed all of the problem sets in the verbal/math guides, used an error log broken out by question category(i.e. find assumption,triangle geometry,etc.), took all 6 of the MGMAT CATs and both GMAT Prep CATS. And went through the MGMAT series based on my weaknesses multiple times.

I was consistently receiving above 600s on my MGMAT CATs.. I believe I received a 400 something(first practice exam) and a 550 on my GMAT prep cats. I don't remember off the top of my head all of the scores but they were in that range.

Books
MGMAT Verbal Guide
MGMAT Math Guide
MGMAT OG 12
MGMAT Series

I started the test with a really easy essay topic. I felt like I got off to a really good start. I also felt like the IR section came really easy to me. My confidence was sky high going into the Math Section considering the essay and IR is what I barely prepared for. I don't know what got into me but I started doing things that I wasn't doing on the practice exams(maybe it was because it was the real thing and i was nervous), but I was double checking answers.... doing a lot of long division... going through all of the answers... reassuring myself that I was correct.... before I knew it I was running out of time and I had 9 questions left with about 5 minutes left to go and I started just guessing. After I knew that I was screwed from this... I got really nervous and didn't do that well on the verbal.

I am honestly just looking to score above a 600. I have a pretty good set of credentials which will help me get into Bschool. It's just the GMAT that is holding me back at this point. I am completely crushed by my score. I feel like all of the time I have put in has been worthless. I need some advice on how to rebound from this. I don't want to give up but I am completely burnt out from studying and work. Should I take time off from the test and take a second attempt next spring when my work hours decrease? Should I maybe take a class? Should I take another crack at it in a month and work on my timing? I am not sure what to do at this point.

I took the test last Wednesday and scored 470. My score from kaplan is around 580. 100 points difference, I was devastated. The pressure is doubled when you do the real test :) Nevertheless, i wont give up. You can find lots of encouraging stories here. Dont give up. you are not alone.

“Never Give Up! Never, never, never, never give up. Never!”
Winston Churchill

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Failed the GMAT(460). Need advice. [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 15:03
It is very common and understandable to get nervous while taking the GMAT. There are tons of stories from people on this site who did worse than they could have because of nerves. Keep your head up. Learn from this experience so that next time you can excel. Best of luck.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 810 [1] , given: 82

Re: Failed the GMAT(460). Need advice. [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Big4Advisory wrote:

Books
MGMAT Verbal Guide
MGMAT Math Guide
MGMAT OG 12
MGMAT Series

Hi Big4Advisory,

I can understand your situation, but no need to be disheartened. You have a good job and great credentials, which will be really helpful in securing a seat at a good B-School. But, at the same time your job consumes almost all the time that you may have for your prep.

You should take a break for a week or so, and then start afresh. First why aim for 600, try for a 650+ score. Seeing your score, I feel that you were not able to devote proper time practicing questions because of your busy schedule. A score of 460 means that you really need to go through the basics once again before diving into the standard study material. I also think that, again because of your busy schedule, you may not have done proper analysis of the practice CATs that you took. I suggest that you start your prep with MGMAT foundations books (both verbal and quant).

Well, a score of 600 could be possible in a month's time, if you have enough time for your prep; but I don't think your current situation allows that. If possible chill for a week or two and take another 4 - 5 months time for your prep. Make sure to be consistent in your prep and keep on applying the concepts that you learn. GMAT is an application based exam, so you need to first understand the concepts, and then perfect their applications. A major chunk of your prep time, around 60 - 70%, should be devoted to practicing and analyzing the questions, preferably the official ones and the mock CAT questions. Take another practice test after a month and thoroughly analyze it; remember that you take the test not just to access your level, but to find out how you can improve further.

Try to complete the foundations books in the first 3 -4 weeks --> Take the first practice CAT + analyze (redo every incorrect question, determine your weak areas) --> Start the study material ( if you are using MGMAT guides then finish all its basic chapters first + related OG questions, then the advanced chapters) --> practice --> practice --> revision --> practice

take a practice test every 2 - 3 weeks + its analysis and again find out your areas of improvements. Do maintain an error log; it could just be a list of all the questions you got incorrect, but an error log, you must have. This will prove to be an ideal revision tool.

Above all, stay positive and motivated, you will achieve your target score. All the best !!!

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Re: Failed the GMAT(460). Need advice. [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 10:53
Vercules wrote:
Big4Advisory wrote:

Books
MGMAT Verbal Guide
MGMAT Math Guide
MGMAT OG 12
MGMAT Series

Hi Big4Advisory,

I can understand your situation, but no need to be disheartened. You have a good job and great credentials, which will be really helpful in securing a seat at a good B-School. But, at the same time your job consumes almost all the time that you may have for your prep.

You should take a break for a week or so, and then start afresh. First why aim for 600, try for a 650+ score. Seeing your score, I feel that you were not able to devote proper time practicing questions because of your busy schedule. A score of 460 means that you really need to go through the basics once again before diving into the standard study material. I also think that, again because of your busy schedule, you may not have done proper analysis of the practice CATs that you took. I suggest that you start your prep with MGMAT foundations books (both verbal and quant).

Well, a score of 600 could be possible in a month's time, if you have enough time for your prep; but I don't think your current situation allows that. If possible chill for a week or two and take another 4 - 5 months time for your prep. Make sure to be consistent in your prep and keep on applying the concepts that you learn. GMAT is an application based exam, so you need to first understand the concepts, and then perfect their applications. A major chunk of your prep time, around 60 - 70%, should be devoted to practicing and analyzing the questions, preferably the official ones and the mock CAT questions. Take another practice test after a month and thoroughly analyze it; remember that you take the test not just to access your level, but to find out how you can improve further.

Try to complete the foundations books in the first 3 -4 weeks --> Take the first practice CAT + analyze (redo every incorrect question, determine your weak areas) --> Start the study material ( if you are using MGMAT guides then finish all its basic chapters first + related OG questions, then the advanced chapters) --> practice --> practice --> revision --> practice

take a practice test every 2 - 3 weeks + its analysis and again find out your areas of improvements. Do maintain an error log; it could just be a list of all the questions you got incorrect, but an error log, you must have. This will prove to be an ideal revision tool.

Above all, stay positive and motivated, you will achieve your target score. All the best !!!

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Here is a link to my newest debrief. Thank everyone for taking a look.

failed-once-again-460-to-151000.html
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 02-22-2014

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Failed the GMAT(460). Need advice. [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 09:37
Hey guys, I want to say few words about my story. I took GMAT and scored 470 Quantitative 25, Verbal 25. Then after one month i retook it again and scored 420 :((( Quantitative 38 but verbal 9..... I am going to take GMAT one more time and i have 2 months to prepare for that. My target score is no less than 570 ; >570 . please give me any advice or suggestion how to beat GMAT and increase my score from 420 to =>570 or more. recently, i have used Kaplan's new GMAT PREMIER 2013 book to study.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Failed the GMAT(460). Need advice. [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 14:52
ibsuman wrote:
Hey guys, I want to say few words about my story. I took GMAT and scored 470 Quantitative 25, Verbal 25. Then after one month i retook it again and scored 420 :((( Quantitative 38 but verbal 9..... I am going to take GMAT one more time and i have 2 months to prepare for that. My target score is no less than 570 ; >570 . please give me any advice or suggestion how to beat GMAT and increase my score from 420 to =>570 or more. recently, i have used Kaplan's new GMAT PREMIER 2013 book to study.

I got the same problem with you. First time, I took 450 with quant 45 and verbal below 10, and last day, I took it with 470 score quant 42 and verbal 15.
I am so tired, after first test, I spent for 3-4 weeks to study about verbal (1-2 hours or when I have free time), but the result did not as I hope.
I have an Gmatpill's account, and my friend also give me his's kaplan account. I watch some lesson about CR, and SC from both sites , and my verbal score was improved from 8 to 15. In three weeks before second test, I did not practice any RC, my vocabulary and grammar were so week, so I decided to improve in SC than in RC.

Can anyone give an advice? What should I do now? Change the way to study or try to take GRE ? I just want to get above 500 on GMAT
Re: Failed the GMAT(460). Need advice.   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2014, 14:52