Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Failure essay anecdote timeframe?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD'11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Failure essay anecdote timeframe? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 13:19
All,

I seek your opinion. For the failure essay (HBS and Wharton) I plan on writing about a personal failure I experienced a while back (ie 14 years ago). Since this failure helped shape my perspective relatively early on - i think I have a valid point to talk about.

What do you think?

T.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Failure essay anecdote timeframe? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 13:34
Avoid using an example that would affect your candidacy (negatively) for admissions even if it was an experience that allowed you to learn a lesson and etc. (i.e. - When I was in college, we got so drunk one night, we ended up burning down a school building. However, as a result my rich uncle donated huge sum of money to rebuild the building and now students enjoy a brand new high tech student center as a result....) This is like "What is your weakness" interview question where you describe a weakness that is really a strength. Same strategy or similar one should be applied here.

Also, when discussing your failure (regardless of what it is), don't make any excuses. Be accountable for your actions and etc.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

Re: Failure essay anecdote timeframe? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 14:10
Using something from early on in life is fine so long as its not something stupid/illegal/too personal or of a romantic nature. It could even be an advantage since you can possibly talk about subsequent similar circumstances which you handled better. An old failure gives you a larger window to work with.
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD'11

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Failure essay anecdote timeframe? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 07:53
Thanks for the responses. Yep, this failure is quite relevant to my everyday life and isn't on the lines of romantic, unruly teenage behavior etc.

T.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Failure essay anecdote timeframe? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 18:24
Working on a "failure essay" and I'm planning to reach back to senior year of high school circa 2002. My story is basically just about how the process of filling out college apps proved that I hadn't really done anything of substance and motivated me to be involved in college. I think this will be better than talking about something from my professional experience but I was curious if it was reaching too far back (ie: 8 years).
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 38

Re: Failure essay anecdote timeframe? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 22:57
Gr8Veto wrote:
Working on a "failure essay" and I'm planning to reach back to senior year of high school circa 2002. My story is basically just about how the process of filling out college apps proved that I hadn't really done anything of substance and motivated me to be involved in college. I think this will be better than talking about something from my professional experience but I was curious if it was reaching too far back (ie: 8 years).

My opinion doesn't really count for much and I know its all perception, but personally I wouldn't call this a "failure" unless your lack of doing anything of substance prevented you from achieving something.

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Failure essay anecdote timeframe? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 06:30
On the timing question, reaching back to high school generally is going too far back. You should stick to a professional example, preferably in the past few years.

Also, on the specific content point I agree with staind. In failure essays, the adcom is looking to see whether you're someone who takes calculated risks, and learns from the experience when things don't go as planned. Your example doesn't really fit the bill.

Re: Failure essay anecdote timeframe?   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2010, 06:30