Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fall or Spring Semester?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Fall or Spring Semester? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 11:47
Hello everyone

Thats my second post to Gmatclub, though i have been a loyal reader of the forum since 3-4 months. Well, my question is whether starting an MBA program in fall or spring semester. I need to make a quick decision and reschedule my GMAT till this friday, and unfortunately i feel so stressed up that my brain decided to stop working nowadays.

Little info about me: I am currently an undergraduate and will graduate in summer 2009. I moved to Germany last August to do an internship, and during that internship the recession among the world got worse and worse (i guess everybody knows that). Then i thought maybe it would be much better for me to stay out of business life (or we can call it escaping from reality and staying a student for 2 more years), and i scheduled toefl and gmat exams for January 2009 in order to apply for MBAs in U.S. But since i am an int'l applicant, i already missed lot of application deadlines. My latest solution is to reschedule the exam for April or May and apply for spring semesters (the ones starting in Jan. or Feb. 2010).

But i am really concerned about the graduation and financing issues of this decision. You see, as many of the newly graduates, i don't have enough money to write a single cheque for an MBA and finance it by myself, so i need to apply for the teaching/research assistanceships of those programs (financial aids are the last hope). What do you think about the possibility of getting into these positions if i will enter a programme in the middle of a year?

Even though i believe to have a competitive background, my GPA is my weakness so i am not aiming for elite or most of the near-elites, coz i know if i ever get into those, my chance will be smaller to get an assistanceship. So, to summarize things up, i am an almost graduate, who wants to get into an MBA or MS programme with a 100% funding, pretty late for 2009 fall applications and doesn't know what to do. Every opinions and suggestions are appericated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Fall or Spring Semester? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 11:52
Whether it's a top MBA program or a tier 2 or 3 MBA program, in my opinion it has zero (or close to zero) value without any professional work experience.

I understand that current economy isn't good for recent graduates. However, you also stated that your undergrad GPA isn't impressive.

I think you should study for GMAT in the meantime and look for alternatives - such as MS program or law school.

Also for financing related issues - many of us face the same situation. We will be taking on tons of debt to finance our MBA. You are an international student interested in US program. Your financing options are more limited than rest of us. Is there a reason why you wouldn't consider MBA program back home?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fall or Spring Semester? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 11:58
2 years work experience is basically a requirement at all the top schools for admissions. Some schools accept you but will defer you for a few years and expect you to do a couple of years of work. If you ever want to attend a top school I suggest not going for an MBA at a lesser school now. They rarely admit people who already have an MBA. I would say if you are really looking at something else since you cant find a job look at getting a masters in whatever your undergrad is in. There is a huge difference between a top MBA and an unknown one, so going now just to go wont be doing you any favors long term.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fall or Spring Semester? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 12:06
Usually, teaching and research assistantships are only obtained by SECOND-year students. I assume those spots are extremely competitive and your odds of getting one are presumably very low, and even lower as a first-year student with no work experience.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Fall or Spring Semester? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 15:46
first, thanks a lot for all your answers. well, about the question of you ninkorn:
ninkorn wrote:
Is there a reason why you wouldn't consider MBA program back home?

There are many reasons, such as i am already graduating from one of the top business administration faculties in my country and i don't want to continue any further education in my college. If i don't want to apply my college, there is no need to apply for an MBA or MS in another college, since the education level would be the same or less. And what i really want is to learn more about my major in a more competitive environment, in this case all the narrows are pointing the States ( I wish it would be my country :-D ). Also i can't see a future for myself there, though many people are happy to live in.

According to your suggestions, which were a bit close to what was in my mind, i will postpone my application for a while and continue studying Gmat. I guess graduating in a stressful time just pushed me in an urge to seek options other than to simply find a job. What i plan now to apply for 2010 fall semester in MS programs and then i will see what is coming through.

I wish all of you the best for your applications.

Cheers!
Re: Fall or Spring Semester?   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2009, 15:46