Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 09:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 08:36
Got it! That makes perfect sense. Thank you Shraddha!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 12:19
A – “due to” cannot mean “on account of”. Here, we can see that this is exactly how it is meant. Check also if “due to” can be replaced by “caused by”. So option A eliminate
B – Past tense. So it should be “used”. “He” in the second part of sentence has no clear reference. Eliminate
C – First part refers to Guy de Maupassant. So the noun after comma should be the author. Note that there is no possessive pronoun “his” in the sentence before comma. A possesive pronoun can refer to "Guy De Maupassant's stories" That is why Option A did not have this error. Eliminate
D – Keep
E – stories became classic because of his use of irony and not because he slowly revealed a tragic twist. Change of meaning. “he” has no clear reference. Eliminate.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -15 [0], given: 0

Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 16:13
D is the correct answer.
A, B,E have a pronoun that has no clear antecedant.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 20:32
Hello Shraddha,I agree with your explanation in answer choice D.But I somehow feel that the comma before evidenced is unncecessary. It is the use of irony which is evidenced in the slow revelation.......So comma is not required I think. Putting a comma before evindenced suggests that the part after comma modifies the part before comma which I feel is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 02:36
Phoenix72 wrote:
The two options are C & D.
What is wrong with C? to me D seems wordy.

Please explain.

opening modifier in c is misplaced. opening phrase is intended to modify noun "Guy de Maupassant", however it is modifying short stories.

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 03:25
Choice D doesn't change the meaning of the sentence.

The original sentence says that because of his irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics and goes on explaining the reason behind the success -slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate - this is indeed the irony mentioned earlier.

D) Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

D clearly conveys the same intended meaning.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2013, 03:25