Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 1

Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2008, 22:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:59) correct 40% (01:25) wrong based on 187 sessions
Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have
become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic
twist of fate.

A. Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories
have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a
tragic twist of fate.
B. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he
famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of
fate at the end of each piece.
C. Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories
have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the
end of each piece.
D. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the
author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic
twist of fate at the end of each piece.
E. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly
revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and
masterful use of irony.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by mau5 on 13 Aug 2013, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC - Guy de Maupassant [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2008, 23:08
This post received
KUDOS
topmbaseeker wrote:
Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have
become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic
twist of fate.

A. Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories
have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a
tragic twist of fate.
B. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he
famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of
fate at the end of each piece.
C. Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories
have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the
end of each piece.
D. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the
author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic
twist of fate at the end of each piece.
E. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly
revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and
masterful use of irony.

Besides the other errors, A , B and E have the same errors: "he" and "his" have no referent
C is awkward

D is the best

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Guy de Maupassant [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 13:19
D changes the meaning. But there is no other option left.

Cheers,
SD

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Guy de Maupassant [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 15:29
i dont think it changes meaning. just worded differently from the first sentence but still get same point across.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Guy de Maupassant [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 17:39
shaselai wrote:
i dont think it changes meaning. just worded differently from the first sentence but still get same point across.

Thought so, but it is the only grammatically correct answer choice regardless.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 112

Re: SC - Guy de Maupassant [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 08:47
I reckon there is no change of meaning in D .. this is the best choice !!..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Guy de Maupassant [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
topmbaseeker wrote:
twist of fate.

A. Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.
B. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.
C. Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.
D. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.
E. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and masterful use of irony.

A-- due to can be replaced by Caused by. So it should follow a noun clause. here the sentence is due to the author slowly revealing ... which is wrong
B-- same thing. we are expecting a noun clause after Because of.
C-- same a B
E-- the sentence first uses the possessive form of the noun and then uses he as pronoun which is wrong

D uses the noun clause author's famed and masterful use of irony after because of. And also continues to use the the possessive form.
after the possessive
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Guy de Maupassant [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 01:57
between B and D
B: is grammatically wrong
so D it is

Nanquam Fractum

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wisconsin, Carlson, McCombs, Ross, Stern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Guy de Maupassant [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 11:04
A and C have misplaced modifiers so you can cross those out. B and E contain pronoun errors. A possessive word (i.e. Guy de Maupassant's) cannot, as a rule of thumb, be the antecedent of a pronoun. D is the only grammatically correct choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: SC - Guy de Maupassant [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 17:34
I am going with D. Others have modifier errors.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 03:43
I am with D.... A B and E have pronoun problem.... C is awkward...

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 04:56
The two options are C & D.
What is wrong with C? to me D seems wordy.

Please explain.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 12:17
I think D totally changes the meaning. C seems the best choice to me.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 21:33
IMO D
it is a modifier type question and only option D show best option and correctly match with modifier.
option A B C E and make dangling modifier err and pronoun type err
thanks
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 01:04
tragic twist of fate. (His is redundant here and even if "His" is removed or considered right, the modifier should modify a noun, which is not present after the modifier phrase)
fate at the end of each piece. (He is redundant here)
end of each piece. (Famed for using irony in a masterful way (modifier) should modify a noun, which is Guy de Maupassant, which is not present after the modifying phrase)
twist of fate at the end of each piece. (Looks fine)
masterful use of irony.(He is redundant here)
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1268

Kudos [?]: 3529 [4] , given: 185

Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 05:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi all,

Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

There has been a lot of discussion about the meaning conveyed by this sentence and many posters feel the even if Choice D is the correct answer, it does not communicate the intended meaning. Here is my take on this:

The main clause of this sentence says that Guy de Maupassant’s short stories have become classics. So, I feel that this is the crux of the sentence. Whatever extra information is present in the sentence is about why these stories became classics. The reason why his short stories have become classics is that Guy de Maupassant used irony in his writing in a masterful manner. His talent can be seen in the way he revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

ERROR ANALYSIS:

1. The opening verb-ed modifier “Famed for his…” is incorrectly modifying the subject of the preceding clause “many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories”. Who was famed? The writer Guy de Maupassant was famed and not many of his short stories. Hence, we have MODIFIER ERROR in this sentence.
2. Usage of “due to” is not correct here. Whether the usage of “due to” is correct or not can be checked by a simple test. Replace “due to” with “caused by”. If the sentence still makes sense, then use of “due to” is correct.

POE:

A. Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.: Incorrect for reasons discussed above.

B. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece. Incorrect:
i. “because of” should be followed by a noun or clause beginning with noun.
ii. Non-possessive pronoun “he” cannot refer to possessive “of Guy de Maupassant's” because this entity is an adjective in this sentence that modifies “short stories”. A pronoun cannot refer to an adjective. It can only refer to a noun or another pronoun

C. Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.: Incorrect. This choice repeats the modifier error of choice A.

D. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece. Correct.

E. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and masterful use of irony. Incorrect. . This choice repeats the same pronoun error of Choice B.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by egmat on 14 Feb 2013, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2012, 10:40
egmat wrote:

The main clause of this sentence says that Guy de Maupassant’s short stories have become classics. So, I feel that this is the crux of the sentence. Whatever extra information is present in the sentence is about why these stories became classics. The reason why his short stories have become classics is that Guy de Maupassant used irony in his writing in a masterful manner. His talent can be seen in the way he revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

ERROR ANALYSIS:

1. The opening verb-ed modifier “Famed for his…” is incorrectly modifying the subject of the preceding clause “many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories”. Who was famed? The writer Guy de Maupassant was famed and not many of his short stories. Hence, we have MODIFIER ERROR in this sentence.
2. Usage of “due to” is not correct here. Whether the usage of “due to” is correct or not can be checked by a simple test. Replace “due to” with “caused by”. If the sentence still makes sense, then use of “due to” is correct.

POE:

A. Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.: Incorrect for reasons discussed above.

D. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece. Correct.

Hi Shraddha,

Excellent analysis. However, I have a few doubts.

I see how based on your analysis, choice D makes sense. However, what about the subtle meaning change? The sentence changes the idea that Maupassant was famed for his masterful use of irony to the idea that Maupassant's use of irony was famed and masterful. The former shows a causal relationship between masterful use of irony and fame, while the latter just states that his use of irony was both masterful and famed.

In your meaning analysis, you state that the main idea of the sentence is about Maupassant's short stories becoming classics. However, it would be great if you could walk us (or at least me) through the thought process of why you felt that the meaning change discussed above could be safely ignored in picking "D". On the flip-side, I guess the other question would be why you felt correcting the modifier error was more important than retaining the meaning behind fame and masterful use of irony.

Thanks!
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1268

Kudos [?]: 3529 [0], given: 185

Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 08:08
Expert's post
dpvtank wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

Excellent analysis. However, I have a few doubts.

I see how based on your analysis, choice D makes sense. However, what about the subtle meaning change? The sentence changes the idea that Maupassant was famed for his masterful use of irony to the idea that Maupassant's use of irony was famed and masterful. The former shows a causal relationship between masterful use of irony and fame, while the latter just states that his use of irony was both masterful and famed.

In your meaning analysis, you state that the main idea of the sentence is about Maupassant's short stories becoming classics. However, it would be great if you could walk us (or at least me) through the thought process of why you felt that the meaning change discussed above could be safely ignored in picking "D". On the flip-side, I guess the other question would be why you felt correcting the modifier error was more important than retaining the meaning behind fame and masterful use of irony.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Well firstly, choice D is the only error free answer choice. And one answer has to be correct. So choice D makes for that correct answer.

Secondly, I again say that the crux of the sentence is that Maupassant’s short stories became classic. Maupassant is not the subject of this sentence. It is his short stories. So we must use modifications that center around his short stories and not the writer.

Choice D does that. The subject remains Maupassant’s short stories as in the original sentence. Maupassant’s short stories became classics. And why did they become classics? They became classics because the writer employed his popular style of using irony. The cause and effect relationship is still here. The evidence of that masterful use of irony is the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

This is my take on the sentence from the meaning standpoint. :)

Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 08:36
Got it! That makes perfect sense. Thank you Shraddha!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 12:19
A – “due to” cannot mean “on account of”. Here, we can see that this is exactly how it is meant. Check also if “due to” can be replaced by “caused by”. So option A eliminate
B – Past tense. So it should be “used”. “He” in the second part of sentence has no clear reference. Eliminate
C – First part refers to Guy de Maupassant. So the noun after comma should be the author. Note that there is no possessive pronoun “his” in the sentence before comma. A possesive pronoun can refer to "Guy De Maupassant's stories" That is why Option A did not have this error. Eliminate
D – Keep
E – stories became classic because of his use of irony and not because he slowly revealed a tragic twist. Change of meaning. “he” has no clear reference. Eliminate.
Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2012, 12:19