Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [98]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [36]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 975 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's shor [#permalink]
Kudos
anita_083 wrote:
53. Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

A. Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

B. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

C. Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

D. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

E. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and masterful use of irony.

OA is D. Can someone help explaining why E is incorrect?

Modifier error in A & C; eliminate.

'He' cannot refer to 'Guy de Maupassant's short stories' in B & E. 'He' can only refer to 'Guy de Maupassant', which is not mentioned in either B or E.

Answer D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's shor [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
topmbaseeker wrote:
Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have
become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic
twist of fate.

A. Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.
B. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of how he famously and masterfully uses irony, evident in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.
C. Famed for using irony in a masterful way, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author slowly revealing a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.
D. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.
E. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because he slowly revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece, demonstrating his famed and masterful use of irony.

A-- due to can be replaced by Caused by. So it should follow a noun clause. here the sentence is due to the author slowly revealing ... which is wrong
B-- same thing. we are expecting a noun clause after Because of.
C-- same a B
E-- the sentence first uses the possessive form of the noun and then uses he as pronoun which is wrong

D uses the noun clause author's famed and masterful use of irony after because of. And also continues to use the the possessive form.
after the possessive
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell AMBA, Kellogg, Oxford, Cambridge
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A and C - Modifier error - "Famed for his masterful use of irony" should modify "Guy de Maupassant" and not his stories
B and E - Pronoun error - "He", a subject pronoun, cannot serve as an antecedent to the possessive noun "Guy de Maupassant" (Possessive poison rule)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT Date: 07-04-2012
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Doesn't this sentence say that Guy de Maupassant was famous for his masterful use of irony in stories and these short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

Please explain.......
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
arunmehta89

This is what the passage intends to say but unfortunately doesn’t. Instead of saying, Guy de was famous for something the text says that his stories were famous for something. This is the error brought about by the faulty structure of dangling modification
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:

The main clause of this sentence says that Guy de Maupassant’s short stories have become classics. So, I feel that this is the crux of the sentence. Whatever extra information is present in the sentence is about why these stories became classics. The reason why his short stories have become classics is that Guy de Maupassant used irony in his writing in a masterful manner. His talent can be seen in the way he revealed a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

ERROR ANALYSIS:

1. The opening verb-ed modifier “Famed for his…” is incorrectly modifying the subject of the preceding clause “many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories”. Who was famed? The writer Guy de Maupassant was famed and not many of his short stories. Hence, we have MODIFIER ERROR in this sentence.
2. Usage of “due to” is not correct here. Whether the usage of “due to” is correct or not can be checked by a simple test. Replace “due to” with “caused by”. If the sentence still makes sense, then use of “due to” is correct.

POE:

A. Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.: Incorrect for reasons discussed above.

D. Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece. Correct.

Hi Shraddha,

Excellent analysis. However, I have a few doubts.

I see how based on your analysis, choice D makes sense. However, what about the subtle meaning change? The sentence changes the idea that Maupassant was famed for his masterful use of irony to the idea that Maupassant's use of irony was famed and masterful. The former shows a causal relationship between masterful use of irony and fame, while the latter just states that his use of irony was both masterful and famed.

In your meaning analysis, you state that the main idea of the sentence is about Maupassant's short stories becoming classics. However, it would be great if you could walk us (or at least me) through the thought process of why you felt that the meaning change discussed above could be safely ignored in picking "D". On the flip-side, I guess the other question would be why you felt correcting the modifier error was more important than retaining the meaning behind fame and masterful use of irony.

Thanks!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dpvtank wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

Excellent analysis. However, I have a few doubts.

I see how based on your analysis, choice D makes sense. However, what about the subtle meaning change? The sentence changes the idea that Maupassant was famed for his masterful use of irony to the idea that Maupassant's use of irony was famed and masterful. The former shows a causal relationship between masterful use of irony and fame, while the latter just states that his use of irony was both masterful and famed.

In your meaning analysis, you state that the main idea of the sentence is about Maupassant's short stories becoming classics. However, it would be great if you could walk us (or at least me) through the thought process of why you felt that the meaning change discussed above could be safely ignored in picking "D". On the flip-side, I guess the other question would be why you felt correcting the modifier error was more important than retaining the meaning behind fame and masterful use of irony.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Well firstly, choice D is the only error free answer choice. And one answer has to be correct. So choice D makes for that correct answer.

Secondly, I again say that the crux of the sentence is that Maupassant’s short stories became classic. Maupassant is not the subject of this sentence. It is his short stories. So we must use modifications that center around his short stories and not the writer.

Choice D does that. The subject remains Maupassant’s short stories as in the original sentence. Maupassant’s short stories became classics. And why did they become classics? They became classics because the writer employed his popular style of using irony. The cause and effect relationship is still here. The evidence of that masterful use of irony is the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

This is my take on the sentence from the meaning standpoint. :)

Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hello Shraddha,I agree with your explanation in answer choice D.But I somehow feel that the comma before evidenced is unncecessary. It is the use of irony which is evidenced in the slow revelation.......So comma is not required I think. Putting a comma before evindenced suggests that the part after comma modifies the part before comma which I feel is incorrect.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sid090188 wrote:
Hello Shraddha,I agree with your explanation in answer choice D.But I somehow feel that the comma before evidenced is unncecessary. It is the use of irony which is evidenced in the slow revelation.......So comma is not required I think. Putting a comma before evindenced suggests that the part after comma modifies the part before comma which I feel is incorrect.

Hi Sid,

This is the correct answer choice D:

Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece.

There are a few things that I would like to say here:

1. "evidenced" is a verb-ed modifier that always modifies the preceding noun enity. Here usage of "evidenced" is correct because it logically refers to "use of irony", the preceding noun entity.
2. Use of comma alone is not a deterministic issue to reject an otherwise correct answer choice. In this particular case, usage of comma pertains more to the stylistic issue and not to the grammar issue. Here the comma has been used to imtroduce that necessary pause in the sentence to understand the meaning of the sentence better. This comma makes you pause and then you continue reading, understanding the role of "evidenced...". Never reject an answer choice because of the use of comma in a certain fashion.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20707 [1]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
topmbaseeker wrote:
Famed for his masterful use of irony, many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics due to the author slowly revealing at the end of each piece a tragic twist of fate.

OFFICIAL SOLUTION

The original sentence begins with the modifier "Famed for his masterful use of irony," which requires a person as its subject. However, in the original sentence, "many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories" is the subject. Moreover, the phrase "due to the author slowly revealing" is awkward.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The pronoun "he" must have a person as its antecedent, yet there is no person in the sentence. Remember that "he" cannot refer to "Guy de Maupassant" here, since the name is part of a possessive phrase: "Guy de Maupassant's short stories". The author himself is not grammatically present in the sentence.

(C) The opening modifier "famed for using irony in a masterful way" incorrectly modifies "short stories" instead of Guy de Maupassant himself. It also contains the awkward phrase "because of the author slowly revealing."

(D) CORRECT. This choice remedies the flawed modifier by rewriting the sentence to avoid it. This choice also replaces the awkward phrase "due to the author's revealing" with "evidenced in the slow revelation."

(E) This choice incorrectly uses the pronoun "he" without a grammatical antecedent in the sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Kudos
For those who said that options B and E are out because there isn't any antecedent for he, check out the right answer choice for this official question.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-she ... 08881.html
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Aaduthoma wrote:
For those who said that options B and E are out because there isn't any antecedent for he, check out the right answer choice for this official question.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-she ... 08881.html

Aaduthoma , nice catch! +1

You are correct.
The possessive poison pronoun rule is not ironclad (not true 100% of the time).

The "possessive poison" pronoun rule guideline holds that possessive nouns can serve as antecedents only
for possessive pronouns, but not for subject (he, she, they) or object pronouns (him, her, them).

The "rule" often does not hold in the object pronoun case.
And if meaning is clear, the rule does not hold in some cases that involve the subject pronoun.

In response to a very good question that resembles the official one you cite,
I wrote this post, here.

In the post I explain that "possessive poison" is not absolute
and may never have been.
GMAC will allow possessive nouns to refer to object pronouns (her, him, them) and subject pronouns (she, he, they).

In the post I cite to a few official questions in which the guideline is not followed,
including the E.B. Browning question that you mentioned.

I have not seen a single question whose correct answer depended on following this "rule."

Again, nice work!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi generis ,

What’s wrong with with option E, apart from no antecedent found for he . I chose option E as demonstrating (verb+ing ) will modify the previous clause - slowly revealed the magic
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [3]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos