Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Famous personalities found guilty of many types of crimes in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Famous personalities found guilty of many types of crimes in [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 20:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:16) correct 33% (01:28) wrong based on 45 sessions
Famous personalities found guilty of many types of crimes in well-publicized trials are increasingly sentenced to the performance of community service, though unknown defendants convicted of similar crimes almost always serve prison sentences. However, the principle of equality before the law rules out using fame and publicity as relevant considerations in the sentencing of convicted criminals.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following conclusions?
A. The principle of equality before the law is rigorously applied in only a few types of criminal trials.
B. The number of convicted celebrities sentenced to community service should equal the number of convicted unknown defendants sentenced to community service.
C. The principle of equality before the law can properly be overridden by other principles in some cases.
D. The sentencing of celebrities to community service instead of prison constitutes a violation of the principle of equality before the law in many cases.
E. The principle of equality before the law does not allow for leniency in sentencing.

OA:Not specified in my file

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Famous personalities found guilty of many types [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 20:42
Expert's post
I feel the answer is D, though I am still not convinced with the usage of "many cases".
B is wrong because it asks for obligation.
C is too strong in that it uses "properly".
A doesn't passes the fact test.
Between D and E, I eliminated E because "the principle of equality before the law rules out using fame and publicity as relevant considerations". But there can be other reasons as well apart from "being famous or doing publicity stunts".
Let us know what others feel about this question.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Famous personalities found guilty of many types [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 20:50
Marcab wrote:
I feel the answer is D, though I am still not convinced with the usage of "many cases". (That is where I have doubt why it should be many when there should have been all cases.)
B is wrong because it asks for obligation.
C is too strong in that it uses "properly". (Properly in ............some cases ,One thing can be done properly..........but in some cases ,what is wrong?)
A doesn't passes the fact test.
Between D and E, I eliminated E because "the principle of equality before the law rules out using fame and publicity as relevant considerations". But there can be other reasons as well apart from "being famous or doing publicity stunts".
Let us know what others feel about this question.

My comments in red above.

My take (C).

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Famous personalities found guilty of many types [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 20:55
Expert's post
But how can you say that it was properly or not properly.
We are not in a position to comment how much it was overridden.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Famous personalities found guilty of many types [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 21:04
Marcab wrote:
But how can you say that it was properly or not properly.
We are not in a position to comment how much it was overridden.

It is a conclusion based question,and If I am not wrong IMO conclusion is the last line which summarizes the whole idea behind the argument.Had it been an inference question I would have agreed with you as it wouldn't be possible to use "properly" then.
But in conclusion question IMO "properly" is correct.
Plz advice

In (D). then according to your line of reasoning,"in many cases" and "violation of law" is a new idea and cannot be the conclusion.Moreover,Fame and publicity are ruled out by law ,still celebrities can use other things which are considerable under law to avoid jail .

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Famous personalities found guilty of many types [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 21:11
Expert's post
It is a Must be true question.
Just because "conclusion" comes in the question stem, doesn't makes it a conclusion type question.

Rules For Posting

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 12

Re: Famous personalities found guilty of many types of crimes in [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 16:53
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Famous personalities found guilty of many types of crimes in well-publicized trials are increasingly sentenced to the performance of community service, though unknown defendants convicted of similar crimes almost always serve prison sentences. However, the principle of equality before the law rules out using fame and publicity as relevant considerations in the sentencing of convicted criminals.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following conclusions?
A. The principle of equality before the law is rigorously applied in only a few types of criminal trials.
B. The number of convicted celebrities sentenced to community service should equal the number of convicted unknown defendants sentenced to community service.
C. The principle of equality before the law can properly be overridden by other principles in some cases.
D. The sentencing of celebrities to community service instead of prison constitutes a violation of the principle of equality before the law in many cases.
E. The principle of equality before the law does not allow for leniency in sentencing.

OA:Not specified in my file

Close one between C and D but i will go with D because C is sounding more generic "some cases ". What kind of cases ? Cases involving influential people or politicians or poor people ? We are not sure. hence d , which is more clear about what is being talked about.
Re: Famous personalities found guilty of many types of crimes in   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2013, 16:53