Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Farm animals have certain behavorial tendencies that result

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 682 [0], given: 781

Farm animals have certain behavorial tendencies that result [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 11:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

40% (01:52) correct 60% (01:35) wrong based on 6 sessions
Farm animals have certain behavorial tendencies that result from the evolutionary history of these species. By imposing on these animals a type of organization that conflicts with their behavorial tendencies,current farm management practices cause the animals more pain and distress than do practices that more closely conform to the animals behavorial tendencies. Because the animals tend to resist this type of organization, current practices can also be less efficient than those other farm management practices.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following can be properly inferred from them?

A. Some of the behavorial tendencies of farm animals can be altered by efficient farm management practices

B. In order to implement efficient farm management practices,it is necessary to be familiar wit the evolutionary history of farm animals.

C. In order to create farm management practices that cause less pain and distress to farm animals ,a significant loss of efficiency will be required.

D. Farm Management Practices that cause the least amount of pain and distress to farm animals are also the most efficient management practices.

E. Some changes in farm management practices that lessen the pain and distress experienced by farm animals can result in gains in efficiency.
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2003, 11:49
wonder_gmat wrote:
D?

Nope, inferences almost always have a "reserved" tone...they dont go all out...

and if you read the last part of the sentence in D, you will see "efficient management practices" ...now thats too much to infer..isnt it...

farm management practices and "management practices" are two different things..dont u think?

thanks
praetorian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2003, 07:43
My answer - E.
A & B - too broad (need to stretch the argument to conclude them)
C & D - too strong (signifacant loses, most effecient...)
E - can be safely concluded without getting in any trouble/debate.
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2003, 11:33
Vicky wrote:
My answer - E.
A & B - too broad (need to stretch the argument to conclude them)
C & D - too strong (signifacant loses, most effecient...)
E - can be safely concluded without getting in any trouble/debate.

E is correct !

i picked B..but i guess "necessary" did the damage.

vicks...can you share some of the strategies that you use for CR...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2003, 12:42
I choose E....and as i scrolled down and saw everyone touting B, i was a little disappointed...but i feel better knowing that it is E

i feel that B is just plain out of scope b/c the passage in no way mentions what benefits can be derived from being "familiar" with the evolutionary history of farm animals...basically there is no parallel to be drawn...if we decide to conclude something about being "familiar" with the evolutionary history of farm animals, then we would seriously be just pulling it out of our ass...which is not what we want to do...we want the passage to support the answer....whatever the answer will be has to have complete support from ALL the premises in the passage....A, B, C, & D fail to do this....

now looking at E:

after i read the passage, i could already tell what i was looking for in the answer...here's what the passage basically says: farm animals have certain tendencies, trying to alter their tendencies causes pain and distress which leads to inefficies b/c the animals try to resist these alterations (ie changes, restrictions)...here's the key: the passage finishes by saying b/c the animals tend to resist this type of organization-->these practices can also be less efficient than other practices....

right after i finished reading the passage i knew that i needed to find an answer is supported by only things mentioned or infered in the passage...anything that is not mentioned or inferred, is out of scope....

when you look at E: we can properly infer this from the passage b/c the last line basically states this.....practices that cause pain are inefficient b/c of the pain...so we can properly assume that lessening the pain would somewhat improve efficiency b/c the inefficiency is caused by the pain....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2003, 08:58
praet
Frankly speaking i dont have any well laid out strategies for CR.
But one thing i can assure is that practise makes a huge difference..!!
and Second, recognize different patterns of reasoning in CR questions. Every CR question is like a PS question where something is being tested. Every time u encounter a new question in CR just see that question a few more times and notice the line of reasoning. I tell you, u will be surprised cause next time u will encounter a similar reasoning but in different "guise". In a metaphysical sense i wud say soul/essence is same and only body has changed.. :-D . Good news is that there is only a limit to these different types/pattern of reasoning. Just keep the up tha practise and u will start seeing what i am saying.
U know what, major problem with me is SC. Hey dude, u seem to nail them, Any strategies for SC.. :wink:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2003, 10:18
Probably any inference can be checked via its own negation. If such a negation destroys the argument, we pick a correct answer.

Negate E: No changes in farm management practices that lessen the pain and distress experienced by farm animals can result in gains in efficiency.

It destroys the gist of the passage: Other farm management practices can be more efficient than current practices.
  [#permalink] 02 Oct 2003, 10:18