Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fashion Executive: Last year, our company had $5 million in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 33

Fashion Executive: Last year, our company had $5 million in [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 09:04
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:14) correct 30% (01:22) wrong based on 258 sessions
Fashion Executive: Last year, our company had $5 million in revenue, and was featured in 8 major articles in the fashion press. This year, our company’s revenue has practically quadrupled, so we should expect to be featured in at least 20 major articles in the fashion press.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the fashion executive’s reasoning in the above argument?

A)A competing fashion line was featured more often in the fashion press after its revenues increased.

b)Five years ago, the company’s revenue was less than $1 million, and the company was not featured in any major articles in the fashion press.

c)The company’s revenue nearly quadrupled because of the introduction of a fashion line geared for sale in the European fashion capital of Milan; however, most of the fashion press is headquartered domestically in New York.

d)A major automaker in the region was the subject of twice as many features in auto industry press when the automaker filed for bankruptcy.

e)The company’s revenue increased dramatically because of the introduction of lower-priced lines sold in nationwide discount chains, greatly reducing the brand’s cachet among fashion journalists.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 33

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 09:09
I found the answer quite confusing. I will post the explanation after a few attempts are made.

A and D are absolutely irrelevant.

B - may show that there is no linear relation to revenue and number of articles posted- but i still find this a weak choice.

C - It is possible given that the fashion press is in NY, the buzz was elsewhere.

E- ??
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 3

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 09:15
C suggests that while company's activities in high fashion has expanded, the location of headquarter of fashion press can dampen the coverage - not a very strong link as location of headquarter doesnt imply restricted coverage area. However, in E, company's expansion is in an area that is of no interest to fashion press 9located anywhere), so E weakens the assumption the most.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 09:50
the arg is confusing the correlation with causality. More revenue means more attention of fashion press. However if the revenue increased due to discount sales - the arg goes for a toss. Clean E.

C is irrelevant. Since location is not the issue - the "attention" of the press or number of articles published in the fashion press is at issue.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 26

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
mbafall2011 wrote:
Fashion Executive: Last year, our company had $5 million in revenue, and was featured in 8 major articles in the fashion press. This year, our company’s revenue has practically quadrupled, so we should expect to be featured in at least 20 major articles in the fashion press.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the fashion executive’s reasoning in the above argument?

A)A competing fashion line was featured more often in the fashion press after its revenues increased.

b)Five years ago, the company’s revenue was less than $1 million, and the company was not featured in any major articles in the fashion press.

c)The company’s revenue nearly quadrupled because of the introduction of a fashion line geared for sale in the European fashion capital of Milan; however, most of the fashion press is headquartered domestically in New York.

d)A major automaker in the region was the subject of twice as many features in auto industry press when the automaker filed for bankruptcy.

e)The company’s revenue increased dramatically because of the introduction of lower-priced lines sold in nationwide discount chains, greatly reducing the brand’s cachet among fashion journalists.

IMO D.
Here is my reasoning behind the answer. The fashion executive thinks revenue is linked to number of articles. So more revenue= more articles. what would undermine this? an example showing more revenue but less articles or less revenue more articles.
A) this is strengthening the executive's point of view.
B) ditto.
C)where they settled does not have a bearing. after all there is no proof that the previous products were sold locally.
D)good one. example showing less revenue more articles.
E)O.K. it lost its cachet among journalists. so what? they might write a negative review. but that too counts as an article. it is not as if all the articles previously written were favourable. There is no link in the CR between the uniqueness of the product(cachet=uniqueness/individuality for those who don't know.) and the number of articles.

this time, we play for keeps

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 11:31
vinzycoolfire wrote:
mbafall2011 wrote:

IMO D.
Here is my reasoning behind the answer. The fashion executive thinks revenue is linked to number of articles. So more revenue= more articles. what would undermine this? an example showing more revenue but less articles or less revenue more articles.
A) this is strengthening the executive's point of view.
B) ditto.
C)where they settled does not have a bearing. after all there is no proof that the previous products were sold locally.
D)good one. example showing less revenue more articles.
E)O.K. it lost its cachet among journalists. so what? they might write a negative review. but that too counts as an article. it is not as if all the articles previously written were favourable. There is no link in the CR between the uniqueness of the product(cachet=uniqueness/individuality for those who don't know.) and the number of articles.

B does not strengthen the exec's view. at best, it shows that there is no relationship between the cause and effect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 11:32
Here is the answer explanation:
The executive argues that, if $5M in revenue gets the company 8 articles, $20M in revenue ought to get the company at least 20 articles – that is, that the number of times the company will be featured in the press is proportional to the company’s revenue.

The question asks which of the statements, if true, weighs most heavily against the executive’s reasoning.

A. This statement support’s the executive’s conclusion. Incorrect.

B. This statement provides some support to the idea that revenue is proportional to press. Incorrect.

C. The passage gives no indication that New York fashion journalists would be disinterested in writing about a fashion line that has become successful in the fashionable city of Milan. Incorrect.

D. This statement seems to imply that low revenues can correlate to more feature articles in the press. The statement does not indicate that high revenues could not also lead to more feature articles in the press. Comparing the experience of an automaker to that of a fashion line also introduces the major assumption that the two are analogous. Incorrect.

E. The explanation that revenue increased due to the fashion line’s introducing a discount line sold in stores not highly regarded by the fashion press casts serious doubt on the conclusion that the press would feature the line in many more articles than it did last year. Answer choice E is correct.

The answer is E.
Current Student
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.36

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 12:39
E is correct since only it can explain why the increase in revenues won't translate into more articles in fashion magazines. We have to assume that number of articles depend on the revenues, as the question implies.

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 13:34
E for me as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 15:53
Cachet means a characteristic feature or quality conferring prestige

I think if they had used simpler words, it would have been easier.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 22:21
shd be E
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 26

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 09:07
I am still not convinced about E. there is no proof that they wrote articles based on their preferences. it is still debatable IMO. Real GMAT questions will never be like this.

this time, we play for keeps

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 09:39
vinzycoolfire wrote:
I am still not convinced about E. there is no proof that they wrote articles based on their preferences. it is still debatable IMO. Real GMAT questions will never be like this.

This comes from MGMAT which is pretty reliable- but im glad to know im not the only one!
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 5

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 03:53
I feel E attacks the assumption correctly. But i also agree that E is not entirely convincing and so is the prompt.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 358 [0], given: 109

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 18:01
+1 E

A- Out of scope
B - Opposite. Actually, it strenghts the argument.
C - The new yorker press can write about fashion in Milan.
D - out of scope. This is a different industry.
E - Correct. Journalists are not interested in the new lines of the company, therefore they won't write articles about them.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 22:15
metallicafan wrote:
+1 E

A- Out of scope
E - Correct. Journalists are not interested in the new lines of the company, therefore they won't write articles about them.

After reading the CR bible again, i can see that C is clearly out. C tells us that the fashion press is in Ny and the action was in Milan but nothing tells us that they wont write about it. In weaken questions, we have to use only the information in the 5 options as true.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 358 [0], given: 109

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 07:39
mbafall2011 wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 E

A- Out of scope

After reading the CR bible again, i can see that C is clearly out. C tells us that the fashion press is in Ny and the action was in Milan but nothing tells us that they wont write about it. In weaken questions, we have to use only the information in the 5 options as true.

That book is great for CR. The key is memorizing the families, and how they work.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 09:39
metallicafan wrote:
mbafall2011 wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 E

A- Out of scope

That book is great for CR. The key is memorizing the families, and how they work.

Agreed that the book is great! but i just broadly understood the families and instead pay attention to the right/wrong answers types to look out for.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 51

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 04:30
E is the only answer which provides a definite reason for a lack of linear relationship

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 04:44
E, as it introduces a theory that can undermine the correlation of cause and effect.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Re: MGMAT CR- confusing answer   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2011, 04:44