Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fashion magazine/music label after MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Fashion magazine/music label after MBA? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 20:36
Ok....so this is a weird question, but what kind of positions could you get at a fashion magazine or music label after you get your mba? And what business school/focus is best?

I personally don't have any interest in doing this, my background is in real estate. However after hearing me go on and on about my desire to get an MBA, my sister has caught the bug. She's 25 and majored in anthropology at a top 10 university, and has worked at a museum ever since. She has always been kind of artsy, so she wants to work around those kinds of people...but in a business capacity (ie make money hah). I know there are some design/fashion schools that offer master's degrees...but she said she wants to go to a "real" school. Anybody have any info?
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fashion magazine/music label after MBA? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 20:41
VictoryMBA wrote:
Ok....so this is a weird question, but what kind of positions could you get at a fashion magazine or music label after you get your mba? And what business school/focus is best?

I personally don't have any interest in doing this, my background is in real estate. However after hearing me go on and on about my desire to get an MBA, my sister has caught the bug. She's 25 and majored in anthropology at a top 10 university, and has worked at a museum ever since. She has always been kind of artsy, so she wants to work around those kinds of people...but in a business capacity (ie make money hah). I know there are some design/fashion schools that offer master's degrees...but she said she wants to go to a "real" school. Anybody have any info?

I personally haven't heard of fashion magazines hiring MBAs (or honestly, very many magazines/newspapers and other print media in general -- fashion or not). Some other people here may have other insight. Ages ago, newspapers used to be one of the most profitable businesses that you could own in the United States. These days, they are really struggling to stay afloat and I'm not sure that many of them have the room/capacity for hiring fresh MBAs.

However, music labels would probably fall under the entertainment category, and the strong entertainment schools (UCLA, USC, NYU) should position someone well for a career on the business side of the music world.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Fashion magazine/music label after MBA? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 22:22
Eminent makes a very important point about the print business. I sat in on a very interesting class at NYU titled "The Business of Music and Film" taught by David Ellner that suggested that the music business is going the digital way as well. NYU has a joint MBA/MFA degree and I am sure UCLA/USC offer great networks in the entertainment business.

I would suggest talking to some current NYU/UCLA students. I found them very useful when I was originally looking at the entertainment business. One of the most common refrains on the areas you mention in your post is that they are less traditional post MBA careers and those that are interested usually need to craft their own way, but the career centre does help quite a bit in terms of reaching out to people who have done it before. I know NYU in specific does pool in the TISCH school resources to help out.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fashion magazine/music label after MBA? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 05:15
Incurring $100k in debt to get an education in business, then to go work in two of the most unprofitable, stagnant industries outside of Detroit? Interesting in concept.

NYU does have some record labels show interest, but in all honesty not going to business school and knocking on doors, working free internships for two years, would probably see you in a better place.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fashion magazine/music label after MBA? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 07:04
There are plenty of people with MBA's and JD in the music/ent industry, especially at agencies. This is a non-traditional route for advance degree holders since the payday most of these students are seeking is much further out, but in the long run, being educated and having a solid degree will help to differentiate you from the HS graduates and the kids who called on daddy for a favor, especially when you both have equal experience and are hoping to move into senior roles, an education validates you, regardless of the common misconception that it doesn't matter. In UG, I was originally interested in this path, but I honestly couldn't deal with the low/no pay, it wasn't worth it to me.

After finishing her MBA, she can still expect to be in a low paying role with people who have fewer academic credentials, but in the long term, she should be able to advance more quickly. I'd tell her to really look into all options in ent/music, I would stay away from the record companies right now and look to work for publishers and not the individual magazine. She should also look at studios and film companies, they usually have more defined MBA career tracks.

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fashion magazine/music label after MBA? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 11:59
A relative of mine is one of the top execs at a major record label. She regularly works with the likes of Jay Z and stuff. She graduated with a bachelors from USC. She got her start by obtaining an internship after her bachelors and then worked up from there. This is just one case, and I'm not sure if this is the "standard" way of succeeding in the industry.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fashion magazine/music label after MBA? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 12:37
topher wrote:
A relative of mine is one of the top execs at a major record label. She regularly works with the likes of Jay Z and stuff. She graduated with a bachelors from USC. She got her start by obtaining an internship after her bachelors and then worked up from there. This is just one case, and I'm not sure if this is the "standard" way of succeeding in the industry.

That's pretty much how things worked in the 90's through about 2003/2004, but the record companies have taken a major hit. It's not that simple to be fresh out of school and just work your way up. There aren't as many opportunities in these companies anymore and there is still a backlog of experienced talent currently in high postions who have no plans on leaving and others who got in before the downturn and would take prioity over a newcomer.

I wouldn't advise anyone to undertake an MBA just to get into a record company, but if it's a degree you want for other reasons, then go for it.

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago (Ding w/Interview), Kellogg(Ding), Darden (Int), NYU (Rd 2), USC (Rd 2)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Fashion magazine/music label after MBA? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 13:48
While record labels and fashion magazines are struggling, I believe the music and fashion industries are not going anywhere and I do not see why a company in either industry would be opposed to hiring an MBA. I do not think people will stop listening to music (see ipod in your pocket or pandora on your computer) and going to concerts. The fashion industry will also always be there. The reality is people like buying nice things and successful people aren't going to wake up and stop buying Ferragamo shoes and Brioni suits.

Too often people just associate MBA with consulting or banking and forget the B stands for business.
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fashion magazine/music label after MBA? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 13:55
24 wrote:
While record labels and fashion magazines are struggling, I believe the music and fashion industries are not going anywhere and I do not see why a company in either industry would be opposed to hiring an MBA. I do not think people will stop listening to music (see ipod in your pocket or pandora on your computer) and going to concerts. The fashion industry will also always be there. The reality is people like buying nice things and successful people aren't going to wake up and stop buying Ferragamo shoes and Brioni suits.

Too often people just associate MBA with consulting or banking and forget the B stands for business.

I think the issue is that a business needs a certain scale and size in order to justify the creation of a formal program to hire MBAs. e.g. you will see MBAs go to work for Coach, Gap or LVMH, but I've never personally seen one go to work for Ferragamo or Brioni (just not enough scale or size... and perhaps also the fact they're based in Italy?) Maybe they hire students from European schools? I'm not sure.

MBAs like to work for Fortune 500s because they can sufficiently afford them and provide them with a platform to use their skills. The skills you need to excel at an F500 are very different from the skills needed to succeed at a middle-market company (large majority of fashion brands).

And then you have newspapers, fashion magazines, etc... again, same story. Just not enough revenue or size to make good use of MBAs and keep them happy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fashion magazine/music label after MBA? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 18:36
Definitely look at the more entertainment focused schools and/or those with strong luxury goods clubs. It's (generally) more of a self-directed search, but there are many companies that hire MBAs. I know several people who interned with media and/or entertainment companies. And I have a couple friends at Columbia who interned in fasion. She should ask questions to clubs/students of schools she's interested in to find out about what kind of job to expect. Generally, media/entertainment pays a little less than most other MBA jobs but it's not anything dramatic from what I understand. As long as she understands she may have to accept an offer for a little less to do what she really wants she should be fine.
Re: Fashion magazine/music label after MBA?   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2009, 18:36