Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 08:47

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, adn

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 121 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, adn [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (02:06) correct 27% (01:54) wrong based on 171 sessions
Faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, adn problems at polling places have been cited by a new study of the 2000 United STates Presidential election, which estimated that they did not count 4 million to 6 million of th e100 million votes cast.

a.) Faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places have been cited by a new study of the 2000 United Stated presidential election, which estimated that they did not count 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes cast.

b.) Citing faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at pollingplaces, a new study of the 2000 United States presidential election has estimated that 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes cast were not counted.

c.) Citing faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places, 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes cast were not counted in the 2000 United States presidential election, a new study estimates.

d.) A new study has cited faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places in estimating that 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes that were cast had not been counted in the 2000 United States presidential election.

e.) A new study of the 2000 United States presidential election, citing faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places, has estimated 4 million to 6 million votes had not been counted of the 100 million votes cast.

I have questions regarding E.

1. Does "had not been" located betweeen 4 million and of the 100 million have a problem?

Since counting the votes happened before the new study estimated and counting is done when the new study estimated, I thought that using past perfect tense was appropriate.

am I wrong?

2. Is not using "that" after estimated ok?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [2] , given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: GWD #14 V29 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 04:49
This post received
KUDOS
Hi eybrj good that you have a valid point .But the reason E is not the best choice is different.

e.) A new study of the 2000 United States presidential election, citing faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places, has estimated 4 million to 6 million votes had not been counted of the 100 million votes cast.

In E,it implies that presidential election is doing the citing causing ambiguity
B is further well structred and the modifying phrase starting with citing correctly modifies "new study "

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1225

Kudos [?]: 3354 [2] , given: 181

Re: GWD #14 V29 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
eybrj2 wrote:

I have questions regarding E.

1. Does "had not been" located betweeen 4 million and of the 100 million have a problem?

Since counting the votes happened before the new study estimated and counting is done when the new study estimated, I thought that using past perfect tense was appropriate.

am I wrong?

2. Is not using "that" after estimated ok?

Hi,
Usage of past perfect tense “had not been counted” is certainly incorrect here. We use past perfect tense when two events took place in the past and we need to establish the sequence, conveying which of the two actions in the past took place first.

In this sentence, there are two verbs. One is present perfect “has estimated” and the other is the pat perfect tense. Since one action has taken place very recently, we cannot say that it took place in the past. The timeline of these two events are not the same. Election took place in 2000 while the study has been conducted very recently. Hence, there is no need to show which event took place earlier as it is very evident from the sentence. Hence, use of pat perfect tense “had not been counted” is incorrect. This is certainly a deterministic error to eliminate Choice

Answering your second question, I would say that presence of “that” after estimated would have certainly made the comprehension easier. However, absence of that does not make the sentence incorrect.

Also note that coma + verb-ing modifier always modifies the entire preceding clause. But in this choice, there is no clause before “citing”. There is just a noun phrase that makes the usage of coma + citing incorrect. This is again a deterministic error to eliminate Choice E.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 33

Re: GWD #14 V29 [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 17:54
a.) Faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places have been cited by a new study of the 2000 United Stated presidential election, which estimated that they did not count 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes cast. Passive voice and modifier issue.

b.) Citing faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at pollingplaces, a new study of the 2000 United States presidential election has estimated that 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes cast were not counted.

c.) Citing faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places, 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes cast were not counted in the 2000 United States presidential election, a new study estimates. Citing modifies voters: incorrect

d.) A new study has cited faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places in estimating that 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes that were cast had not been counted in the 2000 United States presidential election. awkward.

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 293

Kudos [?]: 454 [4] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GWD #14 V29 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is a question of misplaced modifiers. Many of the wrong answers can be eliminated by spotting the faulty modification. (E), however, is a problem of verb tense, not of modification. Let's take a close look:

a.) Faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places have been cited by a new study of the 2000 United Stated presidential election, which estimated that they did not count 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes cast.

The election did not estimate, the study did.

b.) Citing faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places, a new study of the 2000 United States presidential election has estimated that 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes cast were not counted. ANSWER

Study is being correctly modified. The verb tense of present perfect mixed with simple past is correct.

c.) Citing faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places, 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes cast were not counted in the 2000 United States presidential election, a new study estimates.

Dangling modifier at the beginning. 'Citing...' must modify the study.

d.) A new study has cited faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places in estimating that 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes that were cast had not been counted in the 2000 United States presidential election.

Here the 'in estimating' is stylistically off, as it is very far from the subject it applies to, 'a new study.' There are also some less obvious errors in verb tense. The votes cast should be in the past perfect tense, 'had not been cast' because this event happened before the counting.

'Has estimated' is mixing present perfect tenses with the past perfect, 'had not been.' Either use past and past perfect or present and present perfect.

Hope that helps :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: GWD #14 V29 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 18:56
This is how you can solve this question in 45 seconds straight-

The sentence structure would either be-
1. Something/someone cited W,X,Y,Z
2. W,X,Y,Z have been cited by something/someone

These are your only two possible constructions. Also note that W,X,Y,Z have to be parallel here.

Let's look at the question.
a)W,X,Y,Z are used correctly. However, the usage of WHICH does not refer back to the correct noun i.e a new study

b) Citing W,X,Y,Z, (SOMETHING)... ; here W,X,Y,Z have been used correctly. The -ing form at the beginning of the sentence has to refer to something, AND it does.

c) Citing W,X,Y,Z, (SOMETHING)..; -ing at the beginning do not refer to the study .

d) Votes had to be casted before the counting took place. The sentence says otherwise. Incorrect tense.

e) How the study ESTIMATED something by W,X,Y,Z. Incorrect meaning.

GMAT Central
GMAT Private Tutor(online)
50 hours@ $950; Customized tutoring approach
Tutored clients from Morgan Stanley
PM If interested

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, adn [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 23:34
MEANING: There is a study that has cited X,Y, and Z problems at polling places. The study estimated that they did not count 4 million blah blah

It is the study that estimated and not the presidential election. OUT!

The position of 4 million to 6 million... is wrongly modifying polling places... OUT!

had not (PAST PERFECT) is not necessary usage.. no need to emphasize one past over another past event... OUT!

same problem as D.. OUT!

b.) Citing faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, and problems at polling places, a new study of the 2000 United States presidential election has estimated that 4 million to 6 million of the 100 million votes cast were not counted.

"Citing faulty voting equipment..." modifies a new study... This is CORRECT. A new study has estimated that.... were not counted. Simple and no unnecessary PAST PERFECT TENSE usage...

Impossible is nothing to God.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, adn [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 02:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Faulty voting equipment, confusing ballots, voter error, adn   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2014, 02:34