Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Send PM
fear to take the GMAT... [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
mvictor wrote:
because of these periodical ups and downs, I got myself very discouraged, and thus...I get the feeling that I am never prepared to face the real GMAT.
I do understand that now there is an option to see the score before accepting it, and it is not a problem for me to pay for several more attempts, yet I feel very insecure about myself...
Variation in scores is normal. No test taker is perfect, and neither is the GMAT. You might want to think of it as a case of reducing the "range" in which you score (decreasing the variability of your score) and taking that range up over time (improving your average score).

when I took GMAT the 3rd time, I was pretty confident that I would break the 600 level, yet I completely blacked out on the test day...
I prepared for Verbal, and I bombed exactly the verbal part...
I have the same problem now...sometimes I read the question - and it seem as if all the strategies learned before are gone...

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi mvictor,

You mentioned a couple of things in your post that are worth going deeper into:

1) These CAT scores in the high 600s and 700s. Since you've studied before, are these CATs that you've taken before? Did you take these CATs in a realistic fashion (re: the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, taken away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, etc.)?

2) You "try to understand every question, and do not move on until i understand where I made the mistake.." While that is certainly an admiral quality during your studies, that type of thinking could absolutely kill you on Test Day. You have to be able to let go of questions that are too hard or too time consuming when the clock is ticking. If you're not prepared to do that, then you could run into all types of other issues - pacing problems, drops in score, elevated stress, etc.

It might help to think about how easy GMAC has made it to take (and re-take) the GMAT. If you're comfortable paying the $250 fee, then there's absolutely no harm if you have a bad Test Day - you can just cancel the score and retest later (NOTE: No more than 5 Tests in a 1-year period though).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Ric

Hi Rich,
1. the gmatprep CAT was taken in test-like conditions...with AWA and IR. The other ones - well..GMAT Club and Economist do not have AWA and IR. Yet I took the CATs after some 1h-2h drills - to compensate for the fatigue factor.
About the questions - have I seen before? Some yes, absolutely. But since it has passed more than 1 year since I last time took the GMAT and prepared for the test - I believe I have forgotten the majority of the questions and the answers to them. I never take the tests at home..to be honest..I cannot even study at home..I took the CATs during weekends at work (work environment for everyone is more "stressful").

2. I have not encountered problems with timing on the CATS. Surprisingly, I finish 4-5-6-7 minutes faster..I know it is not good as well. I skip questions if I see that my first method to approach the question is not working and that applying new method would be too time consuming...because of this, I have seen my score dropped at few CATs; I just simply skipped the questions that were clearly solvable... (at least 80% of the incorrect ones).

I believe that when it gets to the real GMAT..the stress and pressure is 10X...and thus..I get disoriented and make silly mistakes/"forget" all the strategies to tackle questions...

this is really frustrating, as I go over and over the fundamentals..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: fear to take the GMAT... [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mvictor wrote:
when I took GMAT the 3rd time, I was pretty confident that I would break the 600 level, yet I completely blacked out on the test day...
I have the same problem now...sometimes I read the question - and it seem as if all the strategies learned before are gone...
Did that happen right at the start or as you progressed through the exam? I'm trying to check whether it was exam pressure in general or time pressure. The other important point is, of course, whether you are actually following the right strategies. For example, I think I've seen you post a couple of times that you remove an option immediately if it has an ambiguous pronoun. That's very unlikely to be a good strategy to follow, at least on the "first pass". I know it's just one example, but you do have to check.

The score improvement seems good. You should be able to validate it on the new tests the GMAC is going to release.
Board of Directors
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
mvictor wrote:
Did that happen right at the start or as you progressed through the exam? I'm trying to check whether it was exam pressure in general or time pressure. The other important point is, of course, whether you are actually following the right strategies. For example, I think I've seen you post a couple of times that you remove an option immediately if it has an ambiguous pronoun. That's very unlikely to be a good strategy to follow, at least on the "first pass". I know it's just one example, but you do have to check.

The score improvement seems good. You should be able to validate it on the new tests the GMAC is going to release.

the "realization" of know knowing how to solve question comes as I progress through the exam.
for ex: during my last attempt, I though that I completely bombed Quant, as I have seen a lot of "easy" questions, while on Verbal I saw complex SC questions, which at that time I really did not know how to tackle..and the result was not what I expected.
now, if I were asked on which section I feel more comfortable, I would say SC. I try to follow e-gmat's strategies, and so far - I have seen great improvements, including on egmat's scholaranium. Though, I do acknowledge that on hard SC questions I struggle to understand the meaning...a very important factor to solve the question...
english is my 3rd language :)

nonetheless..I refuse to give up until I get what I need.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
mvictor wrote:
the "realization" of know knowing how to solve question comes as I progress through the exam.
Do you spend more time on the GMAT making sure that the initial questions are correct than you do on your GMATPreps?

Good to see that you remain positive on this :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mvictor,

The information that you've provided about how you take your CATs shows that those 'experiences' are NOT realistic. Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. You should be taking new FULL CATs each time (with the Essay and IR sections), at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, away from your home, etc. Your 3 Official GMAT scores are so similar because you're treating Test Day itself in the same general way each time - AND you have not properly trained to change that. The increased stress that you feel on Test Day is understandable (many Test Takers experience that, so you're not alone), but part of that stress is because you KNOW that you didn't practice in a way that matched what the full Test Day actually is. As you continue to study, you really must put an emphasis on training for the full Test Day experience.

Rich
Board of Directors
Send PM
ok guys...scheduled my "practice" official GMAT for this Saturday
will give updates after :)

i hope that treating it like a practice test will reduce the anxiety and help me be more relaxed overall :)
this saturday, I took, at work, a full CAT test, with AWA, IR, Q, and V. subscores -IR8, Q47, V39 = overall 700

good luck to me :D
Board of Directors
Send PM
Ok guys, just got out
650 overall ir 5 q49 v30
Clearly need to work on my timing
Finished awa 10 min ahead (thanks to chineseburn) - easy question...
Ir 8 min ahead
Q-25 min ahead oO
I started to panic when i saw question 32 - time left 35 mins...
Question. 35 was DS on geometry...parallel lines/right triangle/triangle/similar triangles/ lines concepts tested
Question 36...vic...5 variables...very complex
Question 37 sub-600 lvl
Saw very few geometry questions, don't think more than 5
One question coordinate geometry, very easy
Quite a few on statistics average/median/mode
Only one combinatorics question, and i believe sub 600...smth like 8c4...
Some more were DS on inequalities under module
Rest algebra...
V - 12 min ahead
lots of SC probably 20, mostly 700 lvl questions...very brutal, some had to choose logic over grammar...esp when using possessive + another pronoun not in possessive...other ones were obviously flawed...so chose the one that was more logically correct...
CR very easy, only 1 made me think more
RC - one text about jupiter's moon, i believe i saw it somewhere, probably national geographic article, very very familiar, easy one
Another one on history..damn, 2-3 question guessed
And the third...dont remember, but was ok

Ir - 1 question 4 answers, completely stumbled while reading it
1 q - very very similar to one ps question posted by bunuel
Cr questions were so so...

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

gmat.jpg
gmat.jpg [ 27.51 KiB | Viewed 2756 times ]

Board of Directors
Send PM
Quant..looks like i improved myself on all topics.
Before: PS-48, DS-35, Arithmetic - 39, Algebra/Geometry - 47
After: PS-49, DS-49, Arithmetic-48, Algebra/Geometry-49
awesome increase in DS (+14 points); Arithmetic (+9)

Verbal:
Very interesting
Before: SC-19; RC-32; CR-21
After: SC-30; RC-31; CR-28

While my SC & CR increased significantly, I see that my RC decreased..not surprisingly..I did not prepare at all for RC...just read few books and that's it...clearly need to put more thought for RC.
CR/SC disappointed...really thought I would be better...

Review all: I have improved most in DS (+14 increase in subscore); SC (+11 increase in subscore); Arithmetic (+9 increase in subscore); and CR (+7 increase in subscore)
thus...i will try to concentrate for the next month to train myself for RC and most importantly CR (probably Powerscore's CR Bible will help + review e-gmat's CR course). in the meantime, I will review one more time the e-gmat's course and re-read and make sure I understand the Manhattan's SC Guide

hope for the best...
never give up, never let yourself down!
Attachments

File comment: verbal before
verbal-before.jpg
verbal-before.jpg [ 80.12 KiB | Viewed 2706 times ]

File comment: quant before
quant-before.jpg
quant-before.jpg [ 106.6 KiB | Viewed 2705 times ]

File comment: verbal after
verbal.jpg
verbal.jpg [ 75.75 KiB | Viewed 2705 times ]

File comment: quant after
quant.jpg
quant.jpg [ 110.32 KiB | Viewed 2709 times ]

Board of Directors
Send PM
received my official score report. AWA - 6 (91%)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Yes, I do have a similar fear.
I'm very insecure about myself in every aspect, and i'm actually afraid of the whole situation where there are loads of other people in the same room with me (A little anxiety), and I feel like I'm never good enough to take the test!

I fear I'm gonna puke all over the place or something similar when It's time to take on the real test.
Anyone has any suggestions how to overcome my fear? Should I go to a mall in front of everyone and imagine I'm taking the test, writing something on a paper?
That sounds stupid. Should I take some medication for my anxiety before I go take the test?

I need some advice too :S Please help!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Musicat,

Have you always had this type of anxiety? How have you dealt with it in the past (in school, at public events, etc.)? If it's that serious of an issue, then you might want to see a Doctor about it.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Musicat,

Have you always had this type of anxiety? How have you dealt with it in the past (in school, at public events, etc.)? If it's that serious of an issue, then you might want to see a Doctor about it.

Rich

Hey Rich.

Yes i've had it for very long. I have prescription medication for it, but they are kinda strong and make me feel dizzy. The problem is, can they kick me out if they think i'm stoned or something?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Musicat,

If this is a verified medical condition, then you might be able to apply for special accommodations at the Testing Center (and some Centers even have a private room so that you can take the Exam by yourself). You might also want to post your questions directly to the GMAC Representative here:

-post-your-questions-to-gmac-official-representative-here-133929.html

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Musicat wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Musicat,

Rich

Hey Rich.

Yes i've had it for very long. I have prescription medication for it, but they are kinda strong and make me feel dizzy. The problem is, can they kick me out if they think i'm stoned or something?

Anxiety is only from concerning yourself with things that are not tangible. Worrying about exams and scores which do not yet exist. Instead focus your mind on what is more concrete, which is the present moment and study. You can't do anything else other than what you are currently doing.

I hope that helps in any way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi OP,

You do have a great deal of variation on your test scores (which are quite good, by the way).

I would focus on taking tests that are most representative of the actual exam, which are the ones on the MBA website. There are only 2 of those for free there. However, by signing up for Veritas Prep you get 7 tests for $50. In my experience, these ones are very close to what you will see on the actual exam (although my test scores on Veritas were 10-20 points higher). FYI, I have no affiliation with Veritas Prep, I just genuinely think it's a great resource.

Also, as mentioned in this thread, it is very important to simulate the actual test day environment. Write the entire exam (AWA and IR included) and do it in a quiet place. A big part of GMAT preparation is mental. You have to train your brain to endure the entire exam and not become mentally fatigued.

Keep at it. I'm sure you'll do great.
GMAT Club Bot