Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 03:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 12:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (02:08) correct 41% (00:46) wrong based on 27 sessions
Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and no demand for new construction.
(A) investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and
(B) capital investment in commercial office buildings, even though vacancy rates in existing structures are exceptionally high and there is
(C) capital to be invested in commercial office buildings even though there are exceptionally high vacancy rates in existing structures with
(D) investing capital in commercial office buildings even though the vacancy rates are exceptionally high in existing structures with
(E) capital investment in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high, and although there is

Please could some one explain this SC ..Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 7

Re: Need help with this SC ! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 19:16
ajit257,

I don't want to give away the reasoning here because I think it's more valuable if you give it a try on your own and then ask others to help you check your thinking. That said, I'll point you in the right direction:

When I look at SC, I immediately scan vertically to see what I'll have to decide. Here, some of those splits include:

-investing capital vs. capital investing
-despite vs. even though
-there is vs. with

If I'm considering these splits, I know that the most black and white grammatical rule relates to the use of "there is" or "with."

I'll be notified as soon as you reply to this. Let me know where you take this problem and then I'll be back to help out as necessary.

Good luck!

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1597 [0], given: 249

Re: Need help with this SC ! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 05:37
Expert's post
How do you go about in a complex situation such as this. Forget for while the investing capital or the capital investment part of it and let us try out other means.

It may be seen that logically vacancy rates in - existing structures - can not lie side by side with new constructions. Such expressions are oxymorons, which are incongruous in nature. May be this is not pure grammar but logic. So C and D are out.

Among the rest of A and B and E, to make life simple, A and E have modification problems. In A and E, the phrase - that are exceptionally high – seems to modify existing structures rather than vacancy rates. B is the only one with proper modifictaion and logic.

Now on to whether capital investment or investing capital: Normally encourage entails a noun such as person or action or an animal or even a gerund. By that score, we may prefer - encourage capital investment to investing capital, unless one seeks to argue that investing also is a kind of gerund. Investing being a transitive verb will need - investing of – to be a gerund

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with this SC ! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 18:27
As Brett and daagh have pointed out, the key here is to see what 'that' is modifying. The other point to note is the use and placement of 'with' in the sentence.
Expert Post
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2414 [0], given: 693

Re: Need help with this SC ! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 11:23
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Need help with this SC ! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 11:41
Federal incentives now encourage investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and no demand for new construction.
(A) investing capital in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high and
(B) capital investment in commercial office buildings, even though vacancy rates in existing structures are exceptionally high and there is
(C) capital to be invested in commercial office buildings even though there are exceptionally high vacancy rates in existing structures with
(D) investing capital in commercial office buildings even though the vacancy rates are exceptionally high in existing structures with
(E) capital investment in commercial office buildings despite vacancy rates in existing structures that are exceptionally high, and although there is
Re: Need help with this SC !   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2011, 11:41